Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 days in Southern California with 3-year old - Ideas Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be travelling with my husband and 3-year old son to San Diego & LA for 2 weddings (2 consecutive weekends) at the end of this month. In between the wedding weekends we are looking for a relaxed, nice hotel and area to spend 4 nights. We want to be in a relaxed, stress-free environment where we can just chill out for a few days. We have spent significant time in both San Diego and LA and prefer to be away from the city. I'm considering Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, but am not familiar with this area. Any suggestions for area and/or hotel?
Thank you!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM

I would do Carlsbad for Legoland which is a must for a 3 year old up to about 8-9 year old.
Friends stay at Grand Pacific hotel and resort.

www.grandpacificpalisades.com

La Costa resort and spa is wonderful and check Expedia.com for great deals.
La Jolla is another option with LJ Shores Hotel, Hotel La Jolla and Estancia Resort.
Palm Springs is about 2 hours+ to drive each way..still be about 105+ degrees.
Some great deals to Oct. on 4-5 *resorts in Palm Desert area.
Keep in mind that being near the beach at the end of September is pure heaven..tourist are gone, water temp is still really warm, hotel prices are cheap and you'll blend just like a local!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM

How about the Hotel Del Coronado?

September is still too hot to be in the desert, IMHO.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM
lvk

It is still pretty hot in the desert at the end of Sept., so you should be able to get good rates at some great properties, some that have condos attached with kitchens and separate bedrooms which are always great while traveling with a little one. Check out Desert Springs Marriott Villas, La Quinta Resort, Rancho Las Palmas Resort, Westin Mission Hills.

For a higher budget, right on the coast in LA County, check out Terranea Resort www.terranea.com.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM

The Hotel Del Coronado is very nice, this past April we enjoyed a nice stay at The Westin Mission Hills, let me know if you have any specific questions on either of these places. ***kim***
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I agree with lvk, It's not really a bad idea to go to the desert at the end of September. As you just want to hang out and relax, the heat won't be as much of an issue (pools and naps). It's very pleasant in the mornings and evenings.

In addition to the resorts he mentioned, the Hyatt in Indian Wells has a good "kids club" by the pool, and the rooms are fairly large.

The Marriott Shadow Ridge is another option.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Friend just stayed the weekend at Terranea resort - said it was lovely.

I second the recommendation for La Costa & Lego Land for a 3 year old. La Costa has a great pool area and is very child friendly. If you and your spouse can sneak away the spa is also very nice. I went a few times in the last few years. Check out their website as well as there are good offers there.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
lvk

We stayed at Terranea for my birthday, even though it is only a few minutes from our home. I concur, it is very, very lovely and away from it all. They're running a special now, if you stay 3 nights, one night is free.

I also just saw this special on Travelzoo for the Rancho Las Palmas, a very family-friendly hotel, close to shops and restaurants in Palm Desert: http://hotels.travelzoo.com/california-hotels/649180

We stayed at the Marriott Shadow Ridge on Spring Break, and I agree that that is a great option, also. It just has fewer amenities (only one on-site restaurant two poolside restaurants, no spa) than the Desert Springs Marriott.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM

I concur with the above responses that state:
Palm Springs/Palm Desert is just too hot still at the end of the month, trust me I live in the AZ desert! Plus it's really further away than you might think.

I was going to suggest staying somewhere in the Carlsbad area too. It's north of La Jolla and SD proper, and more quiet and community focused, plus La Jolla is close enough if you want to take nice walks in town or on the beach, great restaurants and shops. PLUS! There is LegoLand, and if you've never been or taken your son, OMG, you need to! I took my son when he was 4 and he's now 8 and is still begging to go back!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Shadow Ridge is a nice property...we "own' a week at the palm Desert villas but have been to the Shadow Ridge - glad you enjoyed it!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM

We really enjoyed Legoland when our kids were that age. My youngest was almost 4, I think, and he loved it MUCH more than Disneyland. Disneyland was more crowded, scary and hurried. Legoland had climbing apparatus and things to pedal, squirt water, and do. Not just "rides," although they had those too. We found it much more relaxed than we expected.

Like AZtrekker, when we planned to go back to Disneyland last summer, my youngest had turned 8, but begged so much that we did rent a car and my husband took him and our middle child to Legoland. My husband said it was well worth the extra money and headache to split forces for the day.

The Ruby's Diner a few blocks from Legoland is decorated especially with retro toys.

I would think any small beach town between San Diego and LA would be nice that time of year but I'm not the expert as to the best resort.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. We'll definitely make Legoland part of our itinerary!