Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 days in Oahu -rent car for entire trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 4 nights in Oahu next April before heading over to Maui. Below is a tentative schedule of what we want to do. I'm not sure if we should rent a car for the entire time, or only on days 3 & 4 when we do a little more exploring.

Day 1: Arrive late afternoon and head over to our hotel - Outrigger Waikiki. We will probably be too tired to do anything after our long flight from Michigan!

Day 2: Tour Pearl Harbor first thing in the morning to try to beat the crowds. Check out Ala Moana Shopping Center, then spend the rest of the day at the beach/hotel.

Day 3:Hike Diamond Head first thing, then explore windward beaches. Hopefully hike to Manoa Falls.

Day 4: Visit North Shore beaches, have lunch in Haleiwa, possibly visit Waimea Audubon Center.

Day 5(Easter Sunday): Have breakfast at the hotel, then head to airport to catch flight to Maui.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM

How will you be getting to/from your hotel from the airport? Last time I took the airport shuttle, the cost was about $15 per person r/t, which would equal $30 for 2 people.

That's the good part of a one-day rental, and it would allow you to come and go as you please on your shoulder days.

What's the price of a 4 day rental versus 2 day? Remember, the entertainment book and other sources have discounts that may work.

Of course, parking is another consideration. What's it cost per night at your hotel to park?

For me, I like having a car the whole time. And I'd probably skip the shopping center. IMHO, it's just another mall (although it's got a massive food court for cheap eating). But the shops are just like shops you'd find in any upscale mall. On your Day 2, I'd do Pearl Harbor, then try your Manoa Falls walk combined with a drive up Tantalus. It would free up the afternoon on Day 3 for you to explore other regions not mentioned.

Whatever, Hawaii is awesome!

Aloha!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
iceeu2

My vote is for definitely renting a car. If you need to check out some neat shops, go over to Aloha Tower. MelissaHI will thank you for supporting her, I'm sure!

Aren't you soooooooooo excited???

i'2

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

I'd recommend a car, unless you have the time to catch the bus. I know many here have recommended TheBus (www.thebus.org) but I'm more of a car person!

and yes....please do come by Aloha Tower Marketplace. www.alohatower.com.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice on the rental car and other ideas! My first thought was to rent a car for the full time, but then thought maybe I could get by with just a couple days. Sounds like I should just stick with plan A.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM

If you plan to rent a car I'd do it from day 1 - when you get off the plane. We took the shuttle after an interminable flight that originated from the east coast, turned around and headed back to LAX after 45 minutes up in the air, and remained grounded for another hour before taking off again. But I digress...Actually, my point was - we took one of those airport shuttles and it took SO long to get to our hotel (they make multiple stops) that we wished we had just taken a cab, which we did on the way back - we gave away our return shuttle tickets.

You've probably read or heard that the Diamond Head hike is pretty strenuous, just so you're prepared! We're in pretty good shape and it was quite a workout getting to the top.

Have fun! Hawaii is fabulous!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
iceeu2

now fuzzbo...I'm not athletic or slim and trim or in decent shape, but I made the hike to Diamond Head just fine. Perhaps it was the anticipation that made it easier.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM

Oops. Not saying it's impossible - just a little more strenuous than a leisurely hike. Of course, we walked to Diamond Head from our hotel (not recommended!) and also booked our way to the top, which is probably why it felt like a workout. But we did pass many a tourist who were clearly struggling between the heat and the hike. That's all! It's definitely do-able.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

Rent a car for the entire time.

By the time you pay for airport shuttles, cabs, buses & tours that you can do on your own, you won't save any $$. Plus you will have spent valuable time waiting for or on public transportation.

You can see much more of Oahu with a car.

Have a great time on your trip!