4 Day Colorado Trip-Help

Old Jun 13th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Day Colorado Trip-Help

Hello, I am flying into Denver late night August 3rd and leaving afternoon of the 8th from Florida for vacation with my 8 year old son. We have tickets to a show at Red Rocks on Friday night and definitely want to spend time at RMNP. I was thinking maybe a 1/2 day rafting trip Thursday in Buena Vista and add on Pike's Peak/Manitou/Garden of the Gods on Thursday and back to Denver, maybe check out Boulder during the day Friday before the concert or some Denver breweries and then RMNP on Sat/Sun. I definitely want to experience awesome outdoor sights/light hiking good for little legs and sea level bodies, I really love craft beer and not into overly tourist things (I do like to explore neat towns but don't want to shop all day). Any suggestions for things to add/drop to get the most bang for our buck greatly encouraged!
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Are you renting a car? I hope so.

Thursday sounds impossible to do all those things.

Not knowing your son...but, most of these things are adult oriented. Perhaps some more kid friendly things to balance out the adult stuff?

http://www.colorado.com/articles/col...-kids-10-under
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 06:25 PM

Will leave location suggestions to locals and focus on the Florida part.

When you get there drink a bottle of water (or equivalent free flowing). Both of you. Repeat often, well before you are thirsty. Reduce alcohol consumption, it will have more effect due to altitude.

Your son concerns me the most. I grew up at sea level and was sent off to a boarding school at altitude; I had a monster migraine for days. So make sure he is hydrated and pay attention if he complains of headache.

You have a very short time frame, so not much time to do it all or adjust.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 02:11 AM

There are probably 5 or 6 relatively new threads about colorado right now. Might take a look at them.
If you are going to RMNP why not just go on through it on Trail Ridge Road and then do some sightseeing on up into the mountains in Breckenridge, etc. You could go up Mt. Evans instead of Pike's Peak.
If you do go down to Manitou and CO Springs you and your son might enjoy going to Woodland Park and seeing a really excellent dinosaur exhibit there. He is a great age for it.
The caution to start drinking water is good advice--and sunscreen. Drink water continuously. Force your child to do so.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, it's a nice wish list, but it's a bit too ambitious IMO.

>

I don't think so.

You're looking at a 2.5 hour drive from Denver to Buena Vista, then the 1/2 day raft trip, then the drive from Buena Vista to the Pikes Peak Highway access (approximately two hours), then the Pikes Peak highway itself, which takes 2-3 hours minimum round trip, then the drive down to Manitou/Garden of the Gods (20-30 minutes), then the time needed to actually see the Garden of the Gods, then, the drive back to Denver, which could easily take 90 minutes depending on traffic.

Our summer days are long, but not that long.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. We are renting a car. Based on advice and further research, we have decided to drive into Boulder and spend Thursday doing a shorter Flat Irons hike and hanging around town, Friday possibly 1/3 day rafting in Idaho Springs (or something equally kid friendly/fun) and either:
1. Checking into hotel/Airbnb there and backtracking to Red Rocks to explore/watch concert and then next day driving on to Breckenridge Saturday for the Fun Park etc., staying overnight back toward the interstate and then Sunday entering RMNP via Grand Lake, spending the night in Estes Park for our last night
OR
2. Staying in Golden Friday night and Estes Park Saturday and Sunday nights making time for a short Horseback Riding adventure. My only concern is that Estes Park is anything like Gatlinburg, TN, which is definitely not my speed and sent me running back for the mountains.

I know the park is busy in August and trying to consider that as well. Thanks again for the comments, will follow through with suggestions!
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:28 AM

Just occurred to me that there is a nice very small dinowaur museum in Morrison where Red Rocks is, and there is Dinosaur Ridge you can drive and see the tracks. Wouldn't take long and near where you are going to be.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Awesome!
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:49 PM

Lindsey,
I live in Denver and believe you are way too ambitious in your planning. The altitude will knock you out even if you practice good hydrating during your visit. We always tell people to take the first day to acclimate to avoid migraine headaches and nausea which may ruin the rest of your trip. Denver offers some great fun downtown for both of you. You can rent bikes and ride the trails, dip your toes in Platte River. Lot's of people go tubing there. Union Station has been reopened and is worth a site see. Avoid McCormick's restaurant. Elitch Gardens is within walking distance, too. Try Boulder for your second day. Climb the Flat Irons and walk Pearl Street Mall. Garden of the God's is interesting for your 8 year old. Take a look at http://www.dinoridge.org/. The train from downtown to DIA is unreliable. Avoid it. Enjoy your trip.