3 weeks near Corning, NY in May...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 10:03 PM
Alisa

Hi,

I will be vacationing near Corning for 3 weeks in May. Lodging is not an issue as I will be staying at a friend's cabin but would like information about sightseeing and day or overnight trips around the area. Niagra Falls? Finger lakes? What should I not miss?

Thanks.

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 12:55 AM
Karen

Watkin's Glen is one of my favorite places in the area, just a short drive north from Corning. This is a state park. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to visit there in May. We tried going last spring and it was closed to due excessive ice still hanging the rock walls. Feel free to e-mail me directly for other ideas. I love to do day trips in the Finger Lakes area and can offer many suggestions based on your likes & dislikes. (I will be away from my computer/e-mail for about a week)

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 05:48 AM
betsy

Drive on over to Ithaca. It's home to Ithaca College and Cornell University. Plenty of museums, and great places to eat!

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Owen O'Neill

My third attempt to respond to this post – my replies keep getting lost on the wire.
Elmira – Corning Museum
Watkins Glen – a must
Ithaca – Cornell campus, the “Plantations”, the Shakespeare Garden, the Johnson Art museum, stiocky buns at Home Dairy, Purity Ice Cream, wander on the Commons to window shop, the gorges at lower Tremain park, Taughannock Falls, Renee’s Bistro, the Moosewood restaurant, Thai Cuisine
Letchworth park – about a 90 minute to two hour drive but a MUST SEE!
Rochester – the restored George Eastman mansion, the International Museum of Photography, the unique and most unusual Strong Museum

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Alisa

Thanks!

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Owen O'Neill

One that I forgot - adjacent to Elmira is harris Hill, the soaring capital of the US. You can take glider rides for a very reasonable price - sounds like great fun but I just haven't gotten over there to do it.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 10:51 AM
Amy

If you like wine, drive up to the Seneca and Cayuga Lake wineries. It won't be too hot and the summer crowds aren't around yet. The Finger Lakes are really beautiful-don't miss them!!