3 Islands - Just Back

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 09:52 AM
Nina

3 Islands - Just Back

I received so much information from this website before I left on my 2 week vacation to Hawaii - just got back last week - I would just like to thank everyone as my trip was wonderful. I was in Waikiki Beach 21 years ago and boy has it changed!
We first flew from Toronto on American Airlines with a transfer in Dallas - of course the flight was delayed 3 hours. Arrived in Honolulu and just missed our inter-island flight with Aloha to the Big Island - no problem, they put us on the next flight which was an hours. Arrived in Hilo - no luggage, it didn't make the flight, will hae to pick ip up the next morning. Stayed at Arnotts Lodge - they sent a taxi to pick us up - we were so tired from flying all day - 18 hours and we had a real good sleep.. Retrieve our luggage at the airport the next morning and went on a volcano hike/tour with the lodge - amazing! The national park is huge and you can spend several days here. Next, 3 days in Lahaina, Maui - stayed at the Aston Maui Lislander $88 per night - very central - you must rent a car on Maui as there is no public transportation. We ended up renting a Harley Davidson for the day - toured the whole island - wonderful - had lunch in Paia, went to the Winery and spent some time on some very private beaches. Also rental and car for one day and just toured around - saw the aquarium. Next, flew to Waikiki for 8 days - stayed at the Aston Waikiki Grand Hotel - this place is a "HOLE" - booked it on the internet - picture you see of the room they advertise is not what you get. This hotel is really run down and dirty - we only stayed one night and checked out. Walked around and checked with other hotels and ended up with a room on the other side of Waikiki near Ala Mona Shopping Centre called the Waikiki Parkside $67 per night - real nice, good location, pool and very, very clean. Rented a jeep twice during our stay - once went and toured the Northshore and then went to the Windward side another. I was very disappointed with Waikiki - was there 21 years ago - it's now a big, dirty city with lots of crime. Japanese have taken it over - nothing Hawaiian about Waikiki just lots of shopping, Tiffany's, Prada, Celine if that's what your looking for. If you need to see Waikiki I suggest only stay a few days then get out either to another island or the otherside of Oahu. Although December/January is suppose to be the rainy season we had none - it was in the 80's everyday - couldn't ask for more. E'mail me if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:32 AM
RAe

Hi!
I'm planning a family trip to Hawaii - three weeks in July. I've been trying to find out about somesort of money saving deal on the inter-island flights. The guide books say you can buy cheap books of tickets or somesort of discount passes. Have you heard of this? Do you know where I can find some info?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:06 AM
racism

What is wrong w/ Japanese people?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:03 PM
Joy

In my opinion not a thing is wrong with Japanese people - they are to be admired.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Matt

Japanese people are great! Don't miss the point. When you go to Dallas, TX you want to see cowboy/Texas things, when you go to Hawaii you want to feel surrounded by Hawaiian people/culture, when you go to Japan you want to experience the Japanese culture, etc. Usually not the other way around! Be careful using words like racism too easily or other people might use the word idiot too easily.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 11:42 AM
mms

Nina,
We are thinking about staying at Arnotts lodge and going on one or two of their outings. What did you think of the accomodations and the tours? What kind of room did you stay in?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:17 PM

to the top

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:14 PM
trudy

Nina,
Were you able to hike out to the lava flow on the Big Island? How difficult was the hike? Did you need sturdy hiking boots to go over the old lava flows! Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Nina

Hi Rae: You can get discount inter-flight coupons everywhere - you'll see advertisements. But I still think I got a better deal pre-booking my flights at home in Canada with a travel agent - I was charged $52 one way per person, US funds plus the travel agents booked the flights for me.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Nina

mm's: Arnott's Lodge was fine by us - but we are not the real fussy kind. Accommodation was very "basic" but very clean. We had a private room with a shared bath, which wasn't a problem as the other room we were sharing the bathroom with were never around. The front to the lodge is the hostel and we were told from people staying there - especially the women's side that some of the rooms had a real bad odour - two girls actually said they couldn't stand the smell and decided to tent it on the grounds. Tours are real reasonable - that's why we decided to stay at Arnott's. We wanted to do the volcano hike with them, it's $98 per person if your and outsider and $48 per person if your staying with them. The only draw back we found of the lodge was it's not near anything - small store near by, but that's it. If you want something to eat bring your own - we rented scooters one day and before we arrived back at the lodge we stopped off in Hilo at a grocery store to buy sandwiches, chichen and drinks. Went on the volcano hike and it was very interesting and a very long day. The lava flow stopped about a week before we arrived - it had just started up again and started in a new direction so we couldn't get very close to it or see it flow in the water. We did walk (approx. 2 hours one way) on the lava - it's a "hard" hike - take lots of water with you. When we went it was cloudly and we started approx. 3p.m. - I just can't imagine the hike if it was sunny and early in the day. One lady in our group couldn't make it - she stopped half-way going there. My husband and I are very fit - we both work out at least 4 times a week and do long distance biking - and we both found it a good workout. After our hike the guide took us to a natural fed spring which was heated by the volcano - it was wonderful - very relaxing just swimming and getting nice and warm from the water under the stars and moon. Our tour started at 10 a.m. and we didn't get back until just after 10 p.m. It's a long day - but worthwhile. Hope this helps you.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Nina

Trudy: hiking boots are a "must" - you'll understand why when you start hiking. It can be very easy to get your foot stuck in a crack or twist your ankle. Ground is very uneven and the lava does break away under your foot - we used walking sticks to keep our balance.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Nina

Matt: At least you knew what I was saying - the Japanese are wonderful people (I just happen to work with a great deal of them) - they have a great culture, great food - women are soooo pretty!!! As for Author:Racism, I'm not even going to answer you - your author title says it all.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:39 PM
mms

Nina,
Thanks for your info! Is is great to hear from someone who has done some of the things we are interested in!!!

We have reserved two rooms with private baths in what appear to be houses on the Arnotts property (we are a group of 4 - 2 adults/2 teens). We were about to go with the "suite" in the main Lodge, but changed our minds at the last minute. Did you see these houses? - there appears to be three of them - one between Arnotts and the beach and two just to the north of the main lodge. I ask because we still might go ahead a rent a "whole" suite rather than share a house with other people. But then sharing might not be a big deal - just as you experienced.

Anyway, we also were interested in Arnotts because of the hike/tour bargain. Did you talk with anyone who did the Mauna Kea Stargazing trip? or The south point, green sands beach hike?

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!! We can't wait to go!!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:45 PM
mms

Nina,
Thanks again for your help!
One last question - we are planning to stay 3 nights on the windward side of Oahu at Kaneohe Bay. Did you have any favorite spots or recommendations about what to do or see on this side of the island??
Thanks!!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Anna

We're leaving next week for the Big Island and Maui, how was the weather near Volcanoes National Park? Was it much cooler than the other parts of the island? I'm trying to figure out if I should pack some warmer clothes.
Thanks!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Nina

Anna: We were in Hilo Dec. 25 - 28; the weather was perfect! No rain for 3 days - it was "HOT" during the day. At night
sitting around at the lodge outside it got a little chilly - you might want to bring a light jacket.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Laurie

The inter-island air tickets are available once you arrive in the Islands. They are basically intended for locals but are available to everyone. Contact one of the regional carriers such as Aloha or Hawaiian when you arrive. The booklets contain 6 coupons, each valid for one flight and are usually sold for approx.$300.

The weather at Volcanoes NP ranges from very warm and dry to misty and cool. The area around the visitor center almost also requires a light sweatshirt. Layers is definitely the way to go. Hiking boots would be fine but many people find them bulky to pack for such a limited use,rubber thongs or light sandals are all you need for most other things. I have hiked the area extensively and find a good tennis shoe to be adequate. The Kilauea Iki trail is particularly interesting. You hike down into the crater through beautiful greenery, walk across the flat,barren,lava field where small cracks are still steaming and the sulphur smell is present. You hike up out of the crater through jungle and wind up near the Thurston Lava Tube. Thurston LT is filled with visitors (you won't see many people on the other part of the hike)but is interesting. You then walk around the rim to wind up back at the lodge. I've done it many times and always enjoy it. My daughter has been doing it since she was 4 or 5,(she's 16 now) so you don't have to be a real athelete, but it does take 1 1/2-2 hrs. and the up and down as well as the heat should be considered.

By the way, ALWAYS carry a water bottle with you in the Islands.If you are staying on the dry side of one of the islands, you may need a drink or to cool off just walking to the beach from your room.

Nina...the residents of Hawaii are from all over, however, the majority of people thought of as "Hawaiian" have Asian, Polynesian and Portugese ancestry. There are very few "native" Hawaiians as that special designation has very specific requirements.What you notice most is the wonderful Hawaiian spirit of Aloha and the importance of ohana (family).The areas you chose to visit, Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, Lahaina, Maui are some of the most touristy areas and definitely did not let you fully experience Hawaii,her people and culture. I hope you return some day and visit some of the other wonderful places. I am a mainlander, caucasian and travel to the Hawaiian Islands several times a year. I have made many wonderful friends but I am still an outsider. There is an underlying resentment, by some Hawaiians, by the intrusion of so many people destroying what is held so dear...as you witnessed in the Waikiki of today versus the one you saw years ago.

MMS...Kanohoe Bay is a quieter part of Oahu, the other side of the Pali (mountain). Military are based there and it is primarily residential.What are you interested in doing while in Hawaii? Our family (teenager, included) have been to most of the islands many times. I will be glad to provide any information you'd like.

Please consider not going on a tour to the National Park. It is a short, under one hour, drive from Hilo. The roads are good and the directions easy. You can see things at your own pace. That's important because there are many different aspects to the area. One family thinks the moon like landscape is wonderful and another finds it unfriendly, hot and dull. You can rent an air conditioned car for under $30 for 24 hours. Stop and see the sites along the way. The waterfalls and flowers, with their wonderful fragrances, are spetacular. Stop at a fruitstand and enjoy a guava, passionfruit, banana, avocado. See and feel the difference between the klinker (rough) lava and the ropey, smooth kind. Trust me, you will have a much more relaxed, unstructured visit. There is absolutely nothing you cannot do on your own, I assure you.

One of the best things about your vacation is that you will be on "Hawaiian Time", a pace few of us get to know. Have a terrific time!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:55 PM
MMS

Laurie,
The hike you describe above sounds super!! Thanks!
We chose the quieter side of Oahu because it is often hard to relax in a big city. We plan to spend one day going to Pearl Harbor and climbing Diamond Head. We probably will have one free day to hang out and maybe tour the North shore. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

We will have a car everywhere we visit, however, I have felt a bit discouraged about where the rental companies allow rental cars to go on the big Island. I think we have figured out a reasonable way to get to the top of Mauna Kea (Arnotts Tour) and into the Waipio Valley (Hike). We are spending 2 nights in Hilo and one night right in Volcano village (Carsons lodge) - so I hope we will have some good opportunities to explore the park. But I also want to go to South Point and the Green Sands beach. Do you know how good/bad the road is to south point or if the hike to Green Sands Beach is worth it?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Laurie

Driving in the Honolulu area of Oahu, particularly the airport to Waikiki, is awful! We travel a lot as my husband is with a major airline and this is one area we never rent a car. The ride over the Pali won't be as bad, just don't do it during commute time as many residents live on that side and commute to Honolulu.

Do allow day for Pearl Harbor. The USS Missouri is there also, as is the USS Bowfin, a submarine, and a submarine museum. If history is of interest to your family, this is a must. There are a few things I've learned over the years about visiting Pearl Harbor but I don't want to bore you should you already have the info. Let me know if you'd like me to go into detail.

Kaneohe is primarily residential; don't expect a lot of "sites", etc. You can take a catamaran ride out a bit if you want to snorkel. The water can be calm, but the fish are limited. Many people suggest a Hanauma Bay for snorkeling. As it is a Marine Preserve the fish are abundant. The down side is, it is a MAJOR tourist attraction so it is very crowded. Buses come and go throughout the day.

The Diamond Head area is far quieter than Waikiki. If your family wants to see Waikiki however, I suggest the end farthest from Diamond Head, around the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The beach is at its widest at that point so there is more room between beach towels! There is a little known, but wonderful, military museum there also, Fort DeRussey. It follows the role of Hawaiians in the military-and it's free. If you want to do any shopping I suggest the small area adjacent to the HHV complex.
I am not much of a shopper but my daughter enjoys looking around. For the most part, the shops there offer a cut above the "t-shirt" shops you will see on every corner. The main street in Honolulu has all the stores you can find in any large city so doesn't seem to be a good use of Hawaiian vacation time. If you are at Waikiki in the evening, use caution and stay on the main streets. You don't have to go far to encounter the problems of any large city. Honolulu reminds me of San Francisco, the area I am from, in a lot of ways.

The north side has well known surfing beaches. If you don't surf, it is fun to watch!

Many people enjoy the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you haven't been to Hawaii before it does provide insight into the history. Again, it is a little too touristy for me and I think expensive but it is a major attraction. We find the "Punchbowl", the cemetery in the hills above the city, to be very interesting and quite moving. It might be worth a stop on your Pearl Harbor day.

Hawaii...my favorite island. I don't know how firm your plans are but I have a few thoughts I'd like to share.

Hilo is the largest city on the island. It has little tourist activity in the city proper. Mostly regular folks going about their daily business. There is a lovely park, named for Queen Liliuokalani, in town. If you are early risers, you might enjoy the SuiSan fish market. Approx. 7am the local fishermen bring in their catch and it is displayed for the buyers from the large hotels and markets. It's really quite interesting.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Laurie

Part 2
Akaka Falls is pretty, a pleasant walk on a paved path. As you leave Hilo and head for the park you could stop at the local zoo, the macadamia nut factory, botanical gardens and orchid growers. Most of these are offered by local tour companies. Lava Tree State Park near Pahoa is unique. For that matter so is Pahoa. Until the bypass was built a few years ago this was home to quite a few 1960's types. You used to be able to take this road to join the "chain of craters road" into the park (near the ocean) but the large lava flow in 1990(?) crossed the road and it has been closed since. Several towns were lost as was the famous "Black Sand" beach and one of the park's Visitors Centers. The main Visitor's Center is still open as is the Jaeger Museum. If the whole volcano thing is of interest to you, do plan to stop at the Jaeger.

Regarding driving on Hawaii. It is far easier than on Oahu. Good roads, easy access to almost everything, few crowds. The only caveat is the Saddle Road. It is a road used by locals to cross from Hilo to Kona. To rental car agencies it is the "forbidden road". I would not encourage you to break rules but I can tell you it is an acceptable road. The only problem I know of is that if you were to have car trouble you would have to wait for a passerby to help. No gas stations, call boxes, etc. If you were not hoping to reach the observatory I would suggest driving the regular roads, only because there is so much to see. It takes 2-2 1/2 hrs. to drive from Kona-Hilo. I have driven round trip from Kona, after hiking in the park, in one day several times.

Kona's sunsets are incredible! It is the dry side of the island so you don't have the almost guaranteed nightly rains like the Hilo side. Volcano and Hilo are so close to each other, I would encourage you to try to break up your island visit and allow some time for Kona and the Kohala mtns.

Brings us to Waipio Valley. It is a very steep descent into the valley. Unless things have changed recently, a four-wheel drive vehicle is necessary to get into the valley (provided by the tour co.). It is worth it. We were fortunate to see it on horseback before tours were going in. It is a piece of paradise from years ago.

I have probably told you more than you want to know. The islands are my second home. Please feel free to ask any questions. If you would like to provide an email address, I will be glad to go over details with you off of this forum.
Aloha!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -