3 days in Williamsburg VA any ideas?

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 05:31 PM
Donna

3 days in Williamsburg VA any ideas?

My husband and I are planning a long weekend in Williamsburg VA Any suggestions on what to do,what to see and where to eat and best shopping. What about Colonial Williamsburg How long should we allow to stay there? Can we do it in one day? Any info will be appreciated.

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 06:38 PM
joni kotche

we did wmsburg last summer. it definitely is worth doing. two adults can probably do it in one day if you start early and end late. be sure to take the tour of the governor's palace and the old state capitol. the history is fantastic...the people there are really great storytellers. there are many shops with old and new merchandise, candy, souvenirs, etc. the taverns are authentic buildings from the 1700s. the cost for meals can be dear at some, but the atmosphere and food is great. The Wmsburg area has the historic triangle within a few miles of each other; Wmsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. Mt. Vernon, Washington's home, is within 60 miles of Wmsburg. It is another beautiful representation of our country's early history. The drive is lovely too. If you like rides...there is a Busch Gardens in the area too! Good luck and have fun! (Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you)

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 07:34 PM
Alan

If you really check out WmBurg, JamesTown, Yorktown that can pretty much fill a weekend. Outlet malls abound in the area and of course there is the "Pottery Barn" where they come in by the busloads. Different experience!! Mt Vernon is near Washington DC which is over a 100 miles away so I would save that for another trip. There is tons to do and see in DC area,however. A shorter excursion would be to Norfolk, (major Navy base where on the weekends there is always ships and submarines open for tours)plus a lot of stuff around its revitalized waterfront area. Virginia Beach is also just a few miles further down the road. If you are a history buff, WmBurg will keep you occupied for quite a while. The college of William & Mary and the commercial part of Williamsburg are rather quaint.
Neat place!!

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 08:22 PM
Sammy Redd

While in Williamsburg, try to stay at one of the hotels operated by the Colonial Williamsburg foundation. The Williamsburg Inn is the best (and also the most expensive). It will set you back a couple hundred bucks a nite, but is well worth it. One of the very few 5-star hotels in the country, splendid service, beautiful rooms, fantastic location in the center of town and right on a golf course. Even if you don't stay there, try to have a meal (even breakfast is an event) in the hotel's lovely dining room. If your budget is more modest, try the Williamsburg Lodge. Quite affordable (rooms in the $100 range) and nearly as well located as the Inn. Rooms are done up in a kind of rustic motif, with interesting folk art displays. Make sure you opt for a room in the new wing. You could easily spend a weekend exploring Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown thoroughly. Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 01:59 PM
Jana

We visitied Wmsbrg. from 7/4-7/11/97. If you like history, you could easily spend your entire 3 day weekend brousing through the colonial town. We stayed at Best Western Westpark which was very reasonably price(about $72 for 2 adults and 2 kids). They have an indoor pool with a place to sit out/lounge in the sun if you have time.) Restaurants abound near this location (Olive Garden, Sakura's were good). Shopping at the nearby outlet malls contain at least 100 stores.

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 06:39 AM
Pam

I just got back from going to Bush Gardens in Williamsburg. It was great. Much better than I expected. They have a three day pass that includes a great water park also too and its only about $18.00 more than the one day pass. Have fun.

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 04:56 AM
Dee

We we there during last year's Labor Day weekend. Since we had two kids along, time in Williamsburg was more limited than I would have liked. Take your time to stroll. And I really recommend Jamestown. The reproduction ships are amazing. If you try Busch Gardens, don't miss the Lock Ness Monster roller coaster! One of the added bonuses was easy driving to each area, very little congestion. Have fun!