3 days in Kauai, looking for local restaurants not famous just good and fresh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have three post cruise days in Kauai and are staying at the Hyatt using points.

I watched a travel show on Hawaii the other night and saw this wonderful local dish made if raw ahi tuna, seaweed, sesame oil and seasoning. This is the type of food we are interested in.

No tourist traps (we live in FL so have plenty of them here) just locally owned, fresh and reasonable. Fish is a favorite and Italian works also.

My last trip to the Big Island and Maui was in 1991 and I cannot recall a truly memorable meal though we had some good food at very high prices.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

We are a group of 4 adults, no kids and don't like chains or fast food.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM

FYI, this doesn't seem to be posted under the Hawaii forum.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Ag3046

I like Puka Dog in Poipu center. Great hot dogs with all sorts of incredible sauces - mango, pineapple, hot curry. Salivate just thinking of them.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Ag3046

You are describing poke, the raw marinated seafood.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM

My faorite place to eat is Hamura Simain in Lihue. World Famous!!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM

We liked Hamura's Saimin too - it looks like a dive, and you may be the only tourist in there - good noodles, satay, and lillikoi pie - not sure if I spelled ANY of that right! I know you don't like fast food, but Bubba's Burgers was pretty good - pineapple and teriyaki, etc.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM

We also liked Duke's - good fish dishes and a huge, fresh salad bar.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Bubba's Burgers is a cool place to hang out.

Hamura Simain is a strange place - we were told not to miss it so because it is hidden away off a back street we spent a long time wandering around.

Once we got there we couldn't understand why it was so highly recommended. The screen door was practically hanging off the hinge. There were flies buzzing around.
But once inside we met people who had traveled from all over the U.S and Australia just to have their saimin "fix"

The food is so awesome!

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
lvk

Our favorite for poke is The Hanalei Dolphin restaurant and fish market, on the north shore. They have several different kinds. The ceviche there is wonderful, too.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM

My favorites are:
Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza (on the way to the lighthouse in the Kong Lung Center). I love their calzone and salad special (made fresh).

kauai's Windward market in a strip mall in Kapa here is a link http://www.windwardfoods.com/ it is hawaiian take out and very fresh and the owners were great!

Your hotel has some great eats too! Enjoy; that is my favorite Island!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Places to eat near the Hyatt:
Casa di Amici (Italian) in Poipu
Beach House (sunset dinner)
Brick Oven Pizza

For great poke, go to the fish market in Koloa and get plate lunches to go.

Have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM

A second for Casa d Amici in Poipu, really good Italian and nice wine list as well.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Here's a hearty third for Casa di Amici!

For the best fresh sushi, take a drive up to Hanalei Dolphin fish market behind the restaurant, pick the spicy ahi roll and some poke, head out to the Pier in Hanalei and have yourself and a delicious picnic with the world's most gorgeous view as a backdrop.

The Tip Top Cafe in Lihue has very good breakfasts.

There used to be a good fish market in Koloa that made very good poke. Is it still around?

Lihue BBQ Inn is good.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM

We were just at the Hyatt a few weeks ago and tried the Plantation Gardens Restaurant near there. Very good, we'll be back.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM

with the market saturated with ahi, you’re describing almost any menu from restaurants mentioned above. we (we, i mean kane) like to catch wahoo (ono), it’s great seared with chives and homemade wasabi cream.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all!
We could easily eat ahi twice a day.

Keep them coming
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I was underwhelmed by Hamura's saimin. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty and I enjoyed it ... but to me, it was glorified wonton soup (with noodles). Not anything I'd go out of my way for ... but obviously others feel differently.

To me, the best meal in Kauai is the banana and macadamia nut pancakes at Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. Absolutely INCREDIBLE (and HUGE portions).

Also enjoyed Kauai Pasta in Kapa'a. My fave little hole in the wall for oriental food was Waipouli Restaurant in Waipouli Town Center. (Found it in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook -- and agreed with most of their recommendations.) The beef with broccoli was in an entirely different league from any place else I've had that dish.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM

you know SongDoc it may be that things have changed since I was last at Hamura Siamin - and it is possible the chef is gone or something. I'm sorry it wasn't that good - but glad you posted to keep us updated.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM

My good friend's ex-fiance also didn't see what all the hullaballoo was about. We took him there and to say he was underwhelmed would be putting it mildly. Notice I wrote "ex" finace...

To me it looks like the same ladies are still at Hamura's slaving away over the stove and pots and waiting tables. The same ladies that were there when the place was awarded a James Beard award last year. I did hear a rumour that a different person is making the Lilikol chiffon pie though. Still good though.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM

You can try these sites/links:

http://www.kauaimenu.com/

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/taste/

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/rest/kauai.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -