3 days, 4 nights in Denver

Old Jul 28th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days, 4 nights in Denver

We have been snow skiing in Co. many times and love the mountains. We found some very cheap air fare so decided to do a short 3 day visit to Denver, Aug. 30 - Sept. 3. Need suggestions on some short day trips from Denver and where would be a good area to get accommodations to do things out from Denver. We have been to the Flying W dinner show in Co. Springs and loved it but I understand it is no longer open. Is there another dinner show in the area similar to Flying W? We love out doors and my husband is a cowboy. Idaho Springs looks interesting but would we want to stay there? Are there any NICE cabins on a lake nearby? We don't need luxury but we do need clean and comfortable. No Camping out. Not opposed to nice hotel just don't know what area to stay in. Open to suggestions. We are a party of 4 senior citizens ranging from 61 to 68 but very young at heart.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM

No, Idaho Springs isn't an overnight destination. It's really nothing special.

If you want a wonderful place to stay, Devil's Thumb Ranch, near Winter Park, is fantastic. Part cowboy and part luxury. You can get a cabin to share, or lodge rooms individually. It is really a special place.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 09:35 AM

STay in RMNP. Or Breckenridge. OR stay in Frisco==cute little town, good dining, central to the mountains.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM

If DH is a cowboy, he might really like Steamboat Springs for its wild west attitude.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Need some clarity. You mentioned short day trips from Denver. But then a cabin on a lake. Are you interested in staying in Denver itself or somewhere in the surrounding areas - specifically the mountains. All of the above recommendations area are at least a couple hours outside of Denver. Also recognize that is the Labor Day weekend so the mountains and the road in and out will be jammed. At this late date it could be hard to find good lodging in the mountain areas.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Fmpden is right--not sure what you are wanting.
BUT I would definitely second just going to Frisco and enjoying the mountains.
If you do stay in Denver you could do a sort of long day's loop up to and through RMNP, going through on Trail Ridge Road and coming down the "backside" to Route 70 at Silverthorne and back to Denver. As a sort of "check", Silverthorne is about 1.5 hours back to Denver (if not on a Sunday afternoon). We have done this loop without a problem.
If you stay in Frisco you could do the reverse of this when heading back to Denver/DIA and see RMNP a bit.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM

I second the Devils thumb ranch suggestion. We visited as a day trip in July 2013 and wouldn't hesitate going back. We scheduled zip lining tours and archery classes for the kids but they had several other activities available including a spa. Check it out.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:55 PM

A party of four senior citizens probably is not interested in children activities. Does anyone read original post or just starts throwing suggestions?
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:57 PM

A party of four senior citizens probably is not interested in children activities. Does anyone read original post or just starts throwing suggestions?
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 01:17 PM

The answers here are reasonable. Mabella mentioned kids' activities because that's what they did.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Fmpden... Really?,is that all you've got to contribute? In our zip lining group there were 2 60 year old ladies who had a blast. I mentioned what we did as a point of reference. It is why I also mentioned that there are other activities available including a spa. I don't presume to know what activities may or may not interest the op. You shouldn't either.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Everyone, calm down. Geez.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 03:36 PM

I think you are referring only to fmpden. Mabella is right.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advise. As a matter of fact my husband and I are both 68 and we are definitely interested in the zip line. Unfortunately our friends traveling with us who are 6 years younger don't want to do it. We may still do it. We have been to RMNP, Frisco, Breckenridge, Co. Springs, & Estes Park. I would love to go to Steamboat Springs, but my husband is not really interested in traveling over about 1 hr. to go anywhere. Just looking for short day trips out of Denver. We wanted to take a tour of the mint but no tours are open for our dates. We would like to take in a live music performance if there would be one to our liking. We love doing dinner theaters but have not found one. We love the out doors most of all and we do plan to do an ATV ride one day in the Idaho Springs area. That is why I asked about that area. I realize this is not a great time to go but it is just when we could get the cheap air fare. We had a $350.00 voucher that was going to expire and we are only paying $50.00 for the 2 of us to go to Den. That is the main reason we are going so just looking for things to do those few days. Will check out all suggestions but are still open for others. Thanks so much.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM

I would love to go to Steamboat Springs, but my husband is not really interested in traveling over about 1 hr. to go anywhere. Just

That's too bad 'cause there isn't much there there.

Red Rocks? Denver Art Museum?
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM

Maybe you would enjoy going to Boulder? Even stay for a night. The Hotel St Julien is a special place. Quite expensive, though, and you said no luxury.

Chautauqua Park in Boulder would make a good day trip. About 45 minutes' drive from Denver. It's beautiful there for hiking (gentle trails, if you'd like). The Dining Hall at Chautauqua is a favorite of ours. We go there for special occasions. Very elegant food at value prices, and seating on a veranda with a view.

There are cabins to rent there, also, which are reasonably priced, if any are available. Also, there is live music in their theater.

The CU campus is also a lovely place to stroll around. Beautiful red stone architecture and lots of trees for shade.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM

There is a dinner theatre in Boulder where Shrek the Musical is playing. Lots of venues for live music with red rocks being the stand out. Shows there tend to sell out quickly but worth checking. Other in Denver include The Filmore, Paramount theater, the Pepsi center and bellco theater to name a few. There are also several in boulder.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 05:15 PM

Here is the link to historic Chautauqua:
http://www.chautauqua.com/

I highly recommend you go there.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 05:21 PM

Just for fun, I looked at availability Sept 1, and they do have one-, two-, and three-bedroom cottages available, starting at $190.
https://bookings.ihotelier.com/color...2&redirect=no#
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 03:39 AM

Chataqua/Boulder is a GREAT idea. Go to the Celestial Seasonings "factory" for a fun tour--especially the mint room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -