3 Aussie women..and a cattle drive

May 14th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Kimerley

3 Aussie women..and a cattle drive

Would love to organise a trip to the US and we are interested in a cattle drive holiday...a bit like the movie "City Slickers"
Can anyone suggest an area, web site, best time to go, etc re this type of holiday.
cheers
Kim.

May 14th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Miriam

Hello Kimerly,

go to http://www.ranchweb.com

I have found a nice ranch in Wyoming on that site. A lot of the featured ranches offer 2-3 day cattle drives (most of the time to a camp up in the hills).
Another idea is to book the whole trip through a tour company specialized in horseback-riding.
I did the cattle-drive in July and it was a very nice time for it. You have to consider that a lot of the ranches are situated in or near the mountains and thus only open up in May/June and close down in October.

Have fun

Miriam

May 14th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Karen

We just had an article in the Arizona Republic newspaper about working dude ranches that offer opportunities for driving cattle and other ranching duties.....check out the newspaper website for more particulars.

May 14th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Diane

Kim---I ran across a few ranches that do cattle drives while looking for a guest ranch to go to this summer. Check out these web sites: www.duderanch.org and www.guestranch.com. These sites will lead you to other sites in various states. I recall more "working ranch" vacations in Wyoming and Montana. You may be able to find a ranch where you could assist with the fall drive---maybe Sept or so. I like to go in July or early August for the weather, but we just ride and hike---don't do the kind of trip where we sleep in tents and actually "work."

May 14th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Diane

Kim---I checked out the www.guestranch.com site and it only took me to a bed and breakfast (I thought that was the correct address), but use this one: www.mcwalters.net/usa/co One the left hand side, there are links to other states. As I said above, I found "working" ranches in Montana and Wyoming. Check out Klondike Ranch in Wyoming www.Klondikeranch.com (307-684-2390). I would talk to someone at the ranch about when they actually go out and drive cattle since they may not do it every week.

May 18th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Kimerley

thanks everyone for your help, will check them all out.

Search this Thread