Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

20th wedding anniversary-Ritz Carlton in Naples, or Hyatt in Key West...please offer appreciated opinions and advice.

Search

20th wedding anniversary-Ritz Carlton in Naples, or Hyatt in Key West...please offer appreciated opinions and advice.

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Mark

My wife and i will be having our 20th wedding anniversary on 10-3. We take a trip without the kids every year at this time. This year we are thinking about either Naples or Key West. We have always been interested in both, but do not know much about them. Have only read about the Ritz in Naples and the Hyatt in Key West. We do want something both fun and classy. Would appreciate some comments on both, and what about Naples for things to do? Thanks.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Audrey

There are many Fodorites who have raved here about the Ritz in Naples, and I'm one of them. I don't know anything about the Hyatt, but I would go to the Ritz in Naples again in a heartbeat. Everything about it is perfect.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Cindy

KEY WEST!! KEY WEST!! KEY WEST!! It's beautiful in October!!!

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Robert

Wife and I stayed at the Key West Hilton last year and had a superb time. The room overlooked the bay and all you had to do to enjoy the sunset was throw back the shades. Don't know about the Hyatt, I do believe it is Old Town which is the place to be...right in the heart of Key West. If you go, be sure to eat at Louies Back Porch.

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Sal

If you want fun and classy, definitely the Ritz. It is a wonderful hotel. You will feel pampered. Their new Naples property, which includes a championship golf course and a spa is scheduled to open later this year. You might want to see if it will be open in time for your visit. The city of Naples offers many fine dining choices and has a very quaint downtown shopping district. It is a great litte city and October is a good time to visit.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Olive Oyl

The Ritz is elegant, and Naples one of their best properties, if not the best. We've eaten there, but not stayed, staying instead at their closest competitor, the Registry. (Next time, we'll take the Ritz). I love Naples for the great shopping and the over all elegant atmosphere of the town.

BUT, for fun...I'd head to Key West definitely. We've stayed at the Hyatt there (my disclaimer....my husband is a Hyatt GM, but I have no stake in filling any of their hotels) and loved it. It is not the Ritz, nor is it elegant. It's a very pretty hotel with island decor, nice views onto the water, but like all else there, practically no beach (miniscule). If your goal is to lounge on the beach, then head to Naples instead. If not, Key West is fun and fun loving, with enough good restaurants to satisfy a few days of dining.

We were there for our 30th anniversary (had been heading there on our honeymoon but got tired around Islamorada and never made it any further) and really had a wonderful time. Our anniversary dinner was at Louie's Back Porch, but we were very disappointed in the service. It has a super location, but buyer beware! Next dinner was at the funky Blue Heaven...a super meal and great atmosphere--everything the previous meal had not been. Liked it so much we later named a sailboat we bought after it.

The two towns are vastly different from each other. If you are bent on the beach, then hit Naples, if not, you'll enjoy Key West--a lot of fun, even for these 50 somethings!

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:10 PM
carla

My husband and I went to the Keys last summer in July. We stayed at the Cheeca Lodge on Islamadora. It was wonderful.(George Bush goes every year to relax) It is the Island right in the middle. (Between Key Largo and Key West) Key West celebrates "sunset" every night with a PARTY on the Ocean. You can actually watch the sun go down and see the 2 bodies of water come together. You can seee where the Gulf meets the Atlantic. It was beautiful. There are really no beaches to speak of, but lots to do. Rent bikes and ride around the island and make sure you eat Key Lime Pie. It is the best you will ever eat!Our favorite thing we did there was take a private 3 hour jet ski tour. It was just us and the guide. There were dolphins close enough to touch. We had a picnic lunch out on the ocean. The guide took us out touring Movie stars homes, Madonna and Demi Moore have homes there. We had a blast! To relax and see beautiful scenary go to the Keys! It is very romantic!

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:26 AM
mark

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate it. From the responses, I am leaning towards Key West. Any other suggestions on an itinerary and or restaurants and accomodations? Would take all the advice I can get.

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:36 AM
susan

I'll admit in advance to being very partial to Key West over almost any vacation destination. I've never stayed at the Ritz in Naples but have friends who rave about it. I've stayed at the Hyatt in Key West several times and agree with what Olive says about it. My husband and I love water views, but if we didn't we'd probably consider either the Marquesa Hotel or the Heron House, both of which are near the Hyatt, and both which have wonderful reputations. If you decide on Key West, I've got so many restaurant recommendations you won't have time for them all!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:52 AM
mark

Please, recomendations are all I have to go on! Have a great day!

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Robin

Mark,

I stayed at the Hyatt on Key West and it was one of my greatest disappointments. Everybody has their thing and I must admit, I like to stay in nice places. We typically stay in a 4 star hotel or better. This was a FAR stretch from a four star hotel!

I thought the rooms were dirty and were in great need of being updated! The staff wass not pleasant or helpful and no one even offers to take your luggage to your room.

I kicked myself the whole weekend because I had been to Key West once before on a cruise ship and it docked in front of the Hilton (which I THOUGHT was the Hyatt) so I really booked the wrong hotel.

Key West is a lot of fun but the Hyatt is not a classy hotel by any stretch! If I were to go back I'd definitely go to the Marquesa and the Hilton would be my second choice. We visited both and I was tempted to change hotels but we were using Hyatt Gold Points so we had nothing to gain. You didn't say, how long are you planning to stay in Key West? Honestly, we stayed for 3 days and I think if you were to spend any more time than that you might be bored.

I haven't stayed at the Ritz in Naples but I've heard great things about it. Honestly, how can you go wrong with a Ritz Carlton? If you golf, Naples is a great place to stay!

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:11 AM
XX

1ST let me say:I LOVE KEY WEST"..but your stuck there if you do get bored..at least in Naples you have an easier time coming up the coast to Ft. Myers.Tampa,Sarasota etc...you could take a boat they have to Key West..it`s out of Naples or Ft. Myers..I`ll do a search and see if I can find the info to post for you...you could stay over night or go for the day..lot`s of fun in KW...you do have to stay in "old town" but you could get bored after 3 days if you don`t check out the other keys...Happy 20th...

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:32 AM
xx

it`s xx again..it`s the Key West Express..leaves from Marco River Marina,Marco Island..ph#941-394-0014..$80 each way..bar and galley on board..takes 3 hours....next is Cape Air (flycapeair.com)..ph# 1-800-352-0714...same day round/trip to Key West...leaves from Naples,Ft. Myers, and Ft. Lauderdale..South Seas Plantation on Captiva is very nice too(tip of Santibel Island)..if you go to Marco Is. go to Tiger Shark beach...good luck on your 20th..pS..there are some beautiful hotels on Long Boat Key too(Sarasota)..Boca Grande and Little Gasparilla Island..I know it`s unsolicatated advise bt had to add my 2 cents....

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:20 PM
mark

Man, now I'm getting confused. We will be gone from Wednesday to Sunday. 4 nites. We love to eat out, but I am really picky about accomadations. We like FIRST CLASS. Is there anything like that in Key West? ( if we go to Key West, we thought we would fly into Miami, and drive? )

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'd suggest flying into KW rather than driving unless you have plenty of time on your hands. There are stretched of the drive that are beautiful but the upper keys to Miami stretch has little to see and can be a real drag when returning after a great visit. No one has mentioned the Hilton facility called Sunset Key. It's pricey but I've read consistently good reports. It consists of "cottages" on a private island just off Key West. There's an excellent open air (provided the weather is agreeable) restaurant called Latitudes and shuttle service runs once an hour or so 24 hours a day to provide transport to the dock at Key West. I went there for dinner and it looked to be a very upscale facility with lots of privacy and an ample beach - might be worth checking into.

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Gail

Ditto the comment on Sunset Key- Was in KW in October 2000 and stayed at Pier House- Loved it, but was actually trying to access the Sunset Key website today w/ no success- Didn't go over during visit, but I think it would be ideal for your anniversary. You can escape the craziness for some quiet time. My 10th is in July and heading for St. Thomas- Fingers are crossed for weather!

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Robin

Mark,

Like I said earlier, if you like first class...4 1/2 to 5 star facilities like I do, then you shouldn't book the Hyatt. The Marquesa was beautiful but again, it's not a Ritz or Four Seasons. Still, a very nice place and the suites were beautiful.

Personally, we were bored in Key West after 2 days. We stayed for three and spent the third day just driving the stretch from Key West to Miami. We ate dinner on South Beach and drove back.
Key West isn't known for great beaches but the pool at the Marquesa was beautiful, as is the pool at the Hilton.

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Jack

well there are certainly some very 'un-special' Ritz Carltons, Robin. But the Ritz Naples is one of the 3 best Ritz Carltons in the world. It is head and shoulders above anything to be found in the Keys if luxurious accommmodations are the goal. It's truly outstanding.

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:11 PM
Tim

Go with the Ritz in Naples! In my opinion, Key West is VASTLY overrated and very BOHEMIAN and low class -- if that's the kind of atmosphere you prefer, more power to you! I personally wouldn't return there if it were FREE!!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:43 PM
chris

Mark, I would definitely go to the Ritz! I took my husband on a surprise trip to the Ritz in Naples for his 40th birthday. (I had been there with a girlfriend and knew how wonderful it was) The concierge staff could not have been more helpful with my "surprise", i.e. upgraded us to concierge level, chilled champagne waiting in the room. It is a fabulous hotel with a fabulous beach and fabulous service.....how could you resist?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -