2001 Rockefeller Center tree lighting event

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Sandy

2001 Rockefeller Center tree lighting event

First trip to NYC. Will visit 11/27 to 12/02 2001. Please advise on date, time, weather clothing and any other helpful hints regarding this event. Also would like to see trees and xmas lights at Met, Lincoln Center and store fronts. Thank you. I have learned alot from this forum.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Howard

Unfortunately, the tree in Rockefeller Center will not be lit when you are there. I'm not sure of the exact day/date, but it's usually done the first week of December, so you'll just miss it. However, the other holiday sites you mentioned should be in place.
Dress warmly. Temperatures are usually in the 40s that time of the year, perhaps a little colder.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Theresa

Actually, I contacted Rockefeller Center myself and was advised the tree will be lit on Wednesday, November 28, 2001. That's the day we will be leaving the city after a week long visit so I guess I'll be watching the ceremony from my living room this year! Have a great time in the world's greatest city!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:39 PM
GOL

FYI

The lighting is always the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 03:28 AM
Howard

Oops, I apologize. I guess I was thinking of the time(s) when Thanksgiving was late in November (like the 27th or 28th)!

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 04:22 AM
GOL

Howard,

I thought you were right....

I actually had to look at the calendar - Thanksgiving is very early this year..

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Philip

The lighting of the tree will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 28. It's hard to tell what the weather will be like. I would dress in layers against the cold and if it seems warmer you can always take them off. This event is always super-crowded, so many people in such a little space. If you are planning to see the show that takes place on the ice rink, I would be there at 3pm and expect to stand for about 5 hours. If you just want to see the tree turned on, you can arrive between 5-6 pm and stand with the crowd. I think the actual lighting takes place between 7:30 & 8:00 pm.