Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 wks in Hawaii in August - Big Island and Kauai or just Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Iza

We are planning a family vacation to Hawaii for 2 weeks in August. Initially we intended just to spend the 2 weeks on one island and picked Kauai (1 week on the south shore and 1 week in the north). Now we are rethinking our plans and are thinking of maybe spending one week on the Big Island and just 1 week on Kauai's north shore.
We like beaches, nature, hiking, biking and are not into nightlife, shopping, historic stuff or the usual tourist attractions (although we would like to see the Volcano National Park). We don't like crowds and bus tours.
Any suggestions? Is Big Island too crowded and developed?
If you think we should go to Big Island where should we stay? Is there a good central area that would make day trips easy?We would like to rent a 2 bedroom condo with ocean view and a pool.
Also, when does it get dark in the evening in Hawaii?
Thanks for all suggestions.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Suzie

Sunset in Hawaii in August: on the first of August 6:35 by the end of the month 6:09. Need more info: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html.

Yes do go to both Kauai and Hawaii. Hawaii is a rather larger than Kauai so it's hard to say what place would be central. You want to see the Volcano and you should take a trip to Waipo'o Canyon but staying in Hilo might be a little wet. You could stay in Kona and make the day trips from there or split your time between a place close to the volcano and then something further out.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Lance

Iza,

Iwould recommend going to both Islands. Kauai is absolutely beautiful, but you can easily see all of the sites in one week. Stay in Poipu where it is sunny and it's an easy day trip to the other side of the Island. Hiking the Napali Coast line and Waimea Canyon are a must. We recommend Polihale Beach Park for scenic beauty and solitude. We are going to the Big Island in May. Wish we had two weeks to split between both Islands! Aloha!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:20 AM
sss

I went last year breaking up two weeks with Kauai and Oahu. Hating missing Big Island from the outset but this is what I think in retrospect. First of all we hated leaving Kauai. I have been several times but my guests were on their first trip. They could not understand why I would take them off Kauai. I think they were expecting Kauai on Oahu. We were on North Shore and Lani Kai so it is not like we were in ugly environments on Oahu.

More than anything Kauai winds you down into this dream like state. Does this to me anyway, to leave and begin touring somewhere else is like being woken up in the middle of the night. Especially if you are with kids it is nice to give them some continuity.

Volcano is not currently veiwable from the pali. Last I checked it was flowing through lava tubes and there was no glow.

Who knows maybe we just hate leaving, period. What I can tell you is that this year I booked 10 days North Shore, 4 days Western Shore and my guest asked me to change to just two weeks North Shore. Something to be said for getting your bearings and appreciating fully where you are. It takes a while to figure out where you are and what the area offers. I must have been to Kauai 5-6 times I still have not hiked a fair portion of the Napali trail(ok I will be honest I have not made it to the first beach), still have not been to Anini beach, and just visited Secrets beach, queens bath, Alakai Swamp on this last trip.

Alakai Swamp is world renown with envirnomentalist for the bird life and I just made it on the last trip.

We are 38 and 41 with kids 9, 11.12 if that make any difference. Those stars on the western side are knock your sock off spectacular.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:40 PM
joan

SSS, thanks to you I will be making Kauai my second week (Maui the first week) -- that is, I just know I will love it and feel the way you do, so it's best to get Maui "out of the way" first and end with the one I know I'll love. But you gotta admit, if it's your first time to Hawaii, coming all the way from Florida, you've just gotta cover TWO islands!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
sss

I think that was the mistake we made Joan. And now this year I cannot go to other islands.

On Maui make sure you rent a tape while you do the road to hana and stop off along the way. For me the best part of Maui or the short hikes into bamboo groves, helicona and torch ginger patches. Oh see I wanted to show this to the kids. There must be bamboo like that somewhere on Kauai. Will do Maui one year during whale season I think that is if skiing does not get in the way.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:31 PM
sss

the other islands are gorgeous in different ways. They all have something special. Maui is great for the musicans that come out of there. Strongly suggest you look into a live performance keili Reichel (sp)he lives on that island (as do a number of Hawaiian recording artists), I would hope anywhere on the continental us just to see him. They usually show him on flights. Mele.com will show you a performance schedule for a number of artists. Slack key performances are also a crowd pleaser.

Big Island volcano and green and black beaches also tide pools. I think you need two weeks here though, I have been for 1 wk and a scattering of weekends and you just don't find the intrail waterfalls, secret places.

Oahu endless historical and cutural events/places and beauty on North, Western and Windward sides.

Molokai highest sea cliffs in the world

I just get such a short time for vacations I like to absorb what is right in front of me, feel familar with a place.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Iza

Thanks to all who replied.
SSS, I've gotta hand it to you, you make a really convincing case for Kauai vacation only. You know, I got this impression after reading about it and seeing pictures, that it is a place that we will just not want to leave. To a certain extent I am with Joan - we're travelling from the northeast so we feel that we need to see more than one island. But it sounds like we'll regret it later if we don't do 2 weeks in Kauai.
SSS, nice to know that young kids appreciate Kauai as much as adults do - we'll have our daughter with us who is almost 9 (our niece who is 20 and takes care of our daughter is also coming with us). Can you share where you're staying in Kauai? We are thinking about renting condos (I would love a house but our daughter "absolutely has to" have a pool;-). We are not into resorts, the quieter the better.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:21 PM
sss

You need to get cracking if you want to stay on the North Shore (Hanalei in particular)of Kauai. This is where I like to stay. It is the wet side but that has always served as a relief from the heat for us. We are fair skinned and just love those over cast days for hiking. It's also the side with the most in your face (can walk to it)natural beauty. I just booked our condo this morning WHOOORAYYYY I missed out on the property we loved last year because I was thinking about going to Japan this year, thought I would broaden my horizons. Put off that little self improvement plan for yet another year. I also mentioned the property on this board frequently and wouldn’t you know what just openned last summer is now booked solid for July and August. UGH!!!

I like Hanalei best. You are walking distance from a very calm (summer) bay. I also like walking into town for dinner, lunch or shave ice. There are great condos up in Princeville that will have your pool. I just have not seen too many condo pools that look inviting, perhaps Hanalei Bay but you will be in a giant complex. Step out on your lanai to the blast of your neighbors air conditioner, stayed there this was my experience. Probably one of the only places that offers air-conditioning on the North Shore but I don't think air is all so important with trade wind breezes and I live with air-conditioning at home. I think it is always a good idea to ask about curtains that block the sun on bedroom windows (that means no light colored fabric), windows that open fully, complete linens, towels and cookery. I also would not want my bedrooms facing a parking lot. In Hanalei don’t be across the street from the pavillian sometimes night partiers come and ruin quiet. This has happened to us on other islands and we walked by it here one night, if you are half a block away you don’t hear them. In short ask about space, light, distance (in terms of miles driven not actual miles this varies on winding roads), swimming beaches. In Princeville I also like to be close to Princeville hotel, restaurants and beach paths are close by. Remember Princeville you will walk down steep paths to beach never straight out. Also best grocery store on that side of the island is in Pville.

Napali Properties, Hanalei North Shore Properties (they are busy right now so don’t put off other searches if they are calling you back. Century21 on the North Shore has gorgeous properties in Princeville that are very reasonably priced, just found web site, never used. I will post some more later. Vacationspot.com. Also do a direct search on Princeville condos or Hanalei vacation rentals.

Any word on airfare from anyone? I am having a terrible time.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:24 PM
ssss

Meant Hanalie Bay Resort when referring to condo pools

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:25 PM
sss

Hanalei Bay Resort is in Princeville not Hanalei, the two are 10 minutes driving apart.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Iza

Thanks a lot SSS. I have been actually getting quotes etc. from various places, and I think I will make my reservations this week. I think we'll probably stay a week at Poipu (in the condos near Hyatt, so that the little one can get to the pool there - do you know if we could get a "resort pass" for a day or two there?) and then the second week we'll stay in Princeville. Hanalei sounds lovely but doesn't seem to have a lot by way of condos, more houses. We looked at Hanalei Colony Resort but they are a bit too expensive. We're looking at some units in either Pali Ke Kua or Puu Poa. Have you ever rented directly from owners? Or always through a rental agency?
Same story here on airfares. I've been monitoring consistently for a while but can't find anything for less than $990 per person. Yikes!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:14 AM
sss

is I am waiting on airfares but you must check every day. There are some times week long sales. I hit one last year for $600 in March or April, the year before I bid on a ticket for $484 in May. All travel was in August and to Honolulu. What about you are you getting that rate flying into Kauai or Honolulu.

The first Pali ke kua condo here I almost took. It was one of the more reasonable ones I could find. Second floor condos at this place have cathedral ceilings with a loft or so another poster on this forum wrote. This condo unit is privately owned but you have use of an activities/trouble shooting desk. I thought he told me that both beds here are King. This is a privately owned condo.
http://www.10kvacationrentals.com/vr.ads/hi/kauai/princeville

He also said and who knows how true this is but condos that face balhi are a western exposure and not as cool. He gets more breezes facing straight out and you still have an ocean view.

P.S Hanalei accommodations are all stand alone homes but that gives you more space, often a bbq, open deck, privacy. Just thought I would add.

Pools, I would swim at Hanalei Bay Resort without thinking about it. I have only wondered by smallish pools at Pua Poa and others. HBR is a condo unit for something like 600-900 unites they don’t know who is coming or going. Also people tend to leave the complex anyway so the pool is rarely crowded.It is nice to have breakfast and then take your kids to the pool.

Princeville hotel formally the Sheraton is another story, a very affluent crowd here and you might feel uncomfortable however I have done it here with my 9 year old niece last summer. We used fake names to make the crash all the more fun. She was Penelope (did I even spell that right) and I was Ursula. LOL. BOOTIFUL POOL HERE THOUGH AND WORTH THE DARE!

Sorry I don’t know about lodging on the western side. I do know you are going to love those stars!!!
One last thing keep your eyes peeled for wonderful wonderful tuna at that Pville Foodland. You might find it elsewhere and you don’t even see it there all the time but when you do it’s great.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:20 AM
sss

when I spoke of Breakfast I was talking about the HBR restaurant opens up with a magnificeint view. I inquired about pool passes on other islands some hotels provide them some do not you have to call. I remember the cost being something in the neighborhood of $28 for the Hilton Waikoloa on the big island. GRAND DADDY OF POOLS HERE.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:08 AM
michele

I have a question for all the Kauai lovers; is it true that August is the rainiest month for that island? I was planning to go a couple of summers ago and was told that August is the rainiest month ( by a resident who was leaving for that month, hence good deal on her condo). Went to to Oahu instead ( I love Oahu, so it wasn't a sacrifice by a long shot). Would like to know.

Thanks

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:52 AM
lvoeshawaii

Michelle: I have been to the north shore of kauai for the past five augusts. Yes, it does rain, but nor for long, and afterward there are the most beautiful rainbows and waterfalls. If you are staying at the south shore, the rain will be minimal, if at all.

The main difference in August, and why your resident contact was leaving for the month, is most likely the humidity. Coming from San Francisco, I really don't know what humidity is, but Kauai in August is definitely tolerable, and you can aclimate very quickly.

Don't hesitate to go. You will love it!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
sss

I can't believe it was a long term resident with info like that. The rainy season is during November to May, any tourist board will give that info. It is not just Kauai it is that way for each north shore for each island but Kauai is a wetter spot in general.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:06 AM
sss

What humidity?.. go every August to escape east coast humidity. Lza you are a pro with Florida summers. The friend just did not like Kauai I think. Some people are disappointed with an over cast morning. I only go in August and only ran into rain last year but it was never ever the entire day.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Iza

SSS, the $990 per person fare is Hartford to Lihue, Kauai. I just checked Honolulu and it is only marginally cheaper (definitely not enough to cover inter-island flights). So maybe I should just jump at it now? I was expecting something in $750-800 range, but maybe I was naive. What do you think?
Loved your story of crashing the pool at the Princeville Resort. LOL! We have to try that at the Hyatt ;-)

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
sss

I don't know what to do any other year I would say wait. It is just that fare I found last year happened for one week and then did not come down from the fares you see now. Many fare were at $1200. You know United lost a lot of money in 9/11 maybe they can't offer a lot of deals. On the other hand the deals they offered in March were last offered in 2000 so maybe If it does not hurt that much I would by it now. I would also stop over on the west coast for one night to sleep and then take the morning flight home. I hated putting our 9 year old on the sleep over, don't want to do it again. She was so uncomfortable I don't know what I was thinking when I booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -