2 days around Yosemite

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

2 days around Yosemite

Visiting Yosemite for 3 days in June 2019. We have another 1 or 2 days before going to SAN Francisco

How & where to spend. Suggestions pls
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:27 AM

Where are you coming from to Yosemite? It is possible to get to Yosemite without a rental car from either Los Angeles or San Francisco. If you are in Las Vegas, fly to Fresno and rent a car at the FAT airport.
There are YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transit System) routes from both Fresno and Merced.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:43 AM

I'll ignore the FAT/YARTS issues (I assume you will have a car -- right? ). . . . But the no brainer would be Hwy 49 Gold Country. Columbia State Park, various wine regions with vineyards, wineries, tasting rooms all up and down the corridor (especially around Plymouth), Gold Rush towns/villages, Caves, mines etc.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Iíll be driving a rented car for LA which I think is a better option as then from YM I have to go to SF

The idea of lush green fields & scenic beauty is good

how about Lake Tahoe option
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 08:57 AM
J62

For 1-2days I like Janis' suggestions - a few days in wine country for example. Assuming you'll have your small child with you as on previous trips.

Another alternative is to spend the few days in the Carmel or Monterey area.

As for lush green fields, by June very little if any of CA is lush & green. The natural landscape of rolling grassy hills will have turned brown by then.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:54 AM

That is 100% true -- June won't be 'green' anywhere except the vines in the vineyards which are irrigated. Don't expect lush green - expect California Gold (which is really sort of golden brown)
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

How about Lake Tahoe ? Is that a better option ?
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Gold country on CA49 makes a lot of sense. Janis thumbnail description is good. Lake Tahoe is completely different. The drive over Tioga pass is worthwhile, but will it be open in June? A detour to the Bodie State Historical Park could be included, but it would require more than 1 day, Even two days means just driving around to Lake Tahoe with an overnight stop and then driving on to SF. Little time for stops.

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 12:58 PM
J62

"How about Lake Tahoe ? Is that a better option ?"

to me, no, Lake Tahoe is not a better option. What are your criteria for "better?"
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 03:13 PM

On your various thread you have mentioned 'green and lush' several times . . . June is just not green and lush in California . . . except in the coastal redwoods. Lake Tahoe is fine -- but Hwy 49 and places like Columbia would be a better fit for Yosemite and San Francisco.

Columbia SHP
Columbia, California | Historic Gold Rush Town

Just get that 'green and lush' ideal' out of your consciousness
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 03:16 PM

If Tioga Pass is open, go east to Hwy 395 and head up to Lake Tahoe. Visit Bodie on the way north. The Carson Valley will be green.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Sonare you going to Yosemite or Tahoe? Or both? Iím confused.

For Yosemite, drive to the valley, take thenyramsnor walk or bike and see the falls ( Bridalveil, Upler and Lower Yosemite, Vernal etc...) go to Glacier Point, hang out at the Ahwahnee ( Majestic now) and view the historical rooms, enjoy the views, have a banana split on the outside patio, go to the historical center museum, walk along the river and take a picture from the bridge, peek into the chapel, maybe drive up to Hetch Hetchy or Tuollume one day. A day in the valley, a day outside the valley... thatís what Iíd do with just a few days. Pack your lunches and snacks, bring drinks... otherwise you spend a lot of time in line waiting for not so great food.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 09:53 AM

>>Sonare you going to Yosemite or Tahoe? Or both? I’m confused.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
On your various thread you have mentioned 'green and lush' several times . . . June is just not green and lush in California . . . except in the coastal redwoods. Lake Tahoe is fine -- but Hwy 49 and places like Columbia would be a better fit for Yosemite and San Francisco.

Columbia SHP
Columbia, California | Historic Gold Rush Town

Just get that 'green and lush' ideal' out of your consciousness
It's all relative. Those of us from southern California, might think Tahoe is lush and green in comparison. Years ago DH and I took a trip to the wine country and areas North of San Francisco - We thought we had been teleported to Ireland!
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 08:01 PM

Wine country is DEFINITELY not Irish - like after May. It is dry and hot just like everywhere else. And Tahoe is not "lush" any time of year. There are evergreens of course, but no ferns, or green grass or anything like that. Pine trees, dirt and rocks . . . That's about it.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 10:51 PM

I can see what nanabee is saying. Coming from So Cal, the trees in Northern California would be “lush” to her. All relative.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 11:01 PM

Yeah -- those leaves and pine needles and fir branches above your head are green - and the the grape vines. Definitely greener than the desert down south.

But 'lush' . . . nah