Reload this Page >

2 California Coast Driving Distance Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:36 PM
Peter

Hi everyone...just had a couple of questions as we begin planning our California Coast adventure. The information on this site so far has been invaluable.

1. We would like to stay in Carmel for 3 nights and also use this as a base to spend a day checking out Pfeiffer-Big Sur state park. Carmel from what I've read is 26 miles away..so maybe an hour's drive? Is Carmel a good base to do this from.

2. How long of a drive is it from Santa Barbara to Pacific Grove? (this would be the first part of our return journey)

Thanks in advance for your help everyone..
cheers,
pete

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
kam

Santa Barbara to Pacific Grove 3 hours or so via 101, not hwy 1. Mind your speed through the Salinas Valley near King City. Carmel to Pfeiffer State Park--at least an hour on hwy 1--maybe 1 1/2 if there is traffic or fog. You can go to Pfeiffer from either Carmel or Cambria, depends on whether you want to go north or south.Carmel is closer. The part of hwy 1 that hugs the coast is farther south. Don't overlook Pt. Lobos St. Park just at the south point of Carmel before Bixby Bridge. It has limited access so is never terribly crowded. Beautiful.There's a tape called "Unsurpassed" that you can order by mail--contact Big Sur Land Trust at (408) (might now be 831 since area code's been changed) 625-5523 You know you can stay at the Big Sur Lodge at Pfeiffer State Beach and the rates are not any worse than in Carmel. If that doesn't appeal, you can call them the day before to order a box lunch picnic and they will make it up and have it waiting for you to take into the park. www.bigsurlodge.com I think that's more workable than Nepenthe, although you can't argue the view from Nepenthe. Have a great trip--hope our weather is kind to you.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Marion

Of all the Big Sur parks I most prefer Andre Molera State Park. Thinks views are by far the best. (I lived in Big Sur for years and went to them all quite a bit).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Marion

Andrew not Andre....left the W out

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:09 PM
George

The view of McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns S.P. isn't too shabby, either. I've got it as my PC wallpaper right now.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:34 PM
peter

Wow, as usual...thanks for the quick replies everyone. All of that info. was quite helpful...Anothe question has come to mind..so I guess that would make it 3 California Coast Questions...on our way back, we will overnight in Pacific Grove after departing Santa Barbara...We are making our way back to Canada, so the next day would be at least6-7 hours of driving from Pacific Grove..any suggestions for towns/cities to stay on night two?
thanks again!
Pete