Reload this Page >

1st trip to AZ coming up in 2 weeks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 09:14 AM
linda

My fiance and I will start our trip in the Flagstaff area. How many hours do you think we should realistically expect to spend exploring the Grand Canyon? We don't plan on taking a mule ride or white water rafting in the Canyon, just hiking around the South Rim. How long do you think we'll need at Petrified Forest National Park?

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 12:57 PM
Paul Rabe

The Grand Canyon is a sight that needs to be viewed from as many overlooks and times of the day as possible. I strongly recommend staying as close to the Canyon as possible for at least one night (preferably a week day, to reduce the crowds), and viewing the Canyon both at sunrise, sunset, and during a moonlit night. If you do indeed skip a hike into the Canyon, then one afternoon and one morning should be a good introduction.

If you want to hike a little below the Rim, plan to spend a whole day doing so.

If you plan to hike down to the River and overnight there (do NOT, repeat, *DO NOT* try to hike to the River and back in a day!), I suggest no fewer than two nights in the Canyon, spending the entire days before and after the nights in the Canyon doing the hiking.

The Petrified Forest can be well viewed in a one day's drive along the main road.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Kay

Walking around the canyon rim is great in early morning and evening when there are few/no crowds. If that's all you're doing 1/2 - day is enough. My mother and I spent more time than we expected in the Petrified Forest. We both found it facinating. We stopped and walked around several times. I hope you are going to Sedona and will see either sunrise or sunset on the rocks.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 07:05 PM
Polly

Do some research to decide if you REALLY want to go to the Petrified Forest. I would opt to put in a little more time and see Monument Valley and/or Canyon de Chelley. I was very disappointed with the PF. Never imagined that something called a forest would be in the dessert. Yes, it was interesting, but after a few minutes it all looks the same. On the other hand, I could spend days at the GC and these other 2 sites.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 08:27 PM
Karen

I definitely agree to skip Petrified Forest and go to Monument Valley. I believe it is the most spectacular attraction in Arizona.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 01:00 PM
Howard

Another solid endorsement for Monument Valley (Try to get a room at Goulding's Lodge there and make sure you view Monument Valley at sunrise if at possible) and Canyon de Chelly. Both are preferred by far to the Petrified Forest. As for the Grand Canyon, definitely stay long enough to see the canyon at sunset and sunrise!