Search

1s time to Disney & have to choose carefully

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
nls
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1s time to Disney & have to choose carefully

Hi, I am trying to plan a trip our 1st trip to Disney and have a child with special needs, in that we do not want to go at peak season times (we cannot go at spring break for example because it would be too crowded for our child). We were thinking of going in May or June, would that be too hot for us? Are there places for us to go and cool off or sit under to cool down? Or is it just abominably hot no matter what you do? Any tips on where to stay at a moderate price $80 to $120 a nite would be ideal. Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM

June is peak season. Even the last 2 weeks of May are crowded. Your best bet is the first 2 weeks of May. It will be warm but it shouldn't be oppressive. There are plenty of shade spots at all of the parks. I don't know what the rates are currently for the All Star or Pop Century resorts at WDW but they are WDW's least expensive accomodations. It worth paying the extra for the convenience of staying on WDW property. You can take the free shuttles to the parks. I think the shuttles are less of a hassle than parking your own car. Check out www.mousesavers.com for deals on WDW.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Forgot to mention that you can get a pass (I think it's called a GAC) that allows your special needs child and family to wait in a special area for the attractions. It won't completely eliminate waiting for the attraction but it will make the wait easier for your child. Check out the disabilities message board at disboards.com to get tips and asak questions about taking your child to WDW. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

October is a perfect time to go. Great weather. NO lines. Perfect!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM

"We were thinking of going in May or June, would that be too hot for us? Are there places for us to go and cool off or sit under to cool down? Or is it just abominably hot no matter what you do?"

Well, as I've said before in another posting, we have two seasons here: hot and hotter.

I'm not sure how you define "hot", but the month of May is usually when daytime highs break the 90-degree barier. So, early May would be slightly cooler than late May. However, beach weather should be great!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

I second the October suggestion as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

October IMO is the best time, but early May is nice too. Figure low 80s both times but humidity is lower in October. As a special bonus, May has the FLower and Garden festival in EPCOT and October has the Food and Wine Fest in EPCOT. Definately look into either the Pop Century or All Star resorts. It's worth staying on property, parking at the parks is included if you choose to drive or your transportation is free. Plus you get early/late hours which will minimize your crowds even more.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

If you have a child with special needs I would opt out of using Disney transportation which usually is unreliable and many times full. You are at the mercy of their transportation and while it may save you a few dollars it doesnt give you the freedom to leave at a moments notice if necessary..
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Hey folks, I'm not kidding. If you've never been to Disney World on a weekday in October you would not believe it. The place is empty. You get a taste of what it's like when Elvis or Michael Jackson or someone else rents out a park for private use.

Warm temps, not hot. Low humidity. And, you walk up to a ride and get on. NEVER a line. For anything! No problem with shuttles - definitely not full at all.

It's a joy!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM

I agree Starrsville. We were there last October and it was great, especially with a child with no patience!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM

If you child (or an adult with the group) is in a wheelchair, you will be whisked to the front of the line. My sister was horribly embarrassed and tried to decline, but they have HA seats and the attendants will move you to the front of the line anyway.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM

While it is true that handicapped persons once had front of the line ccess at WDW, it is no longer that way. You will wait in a separate area. Your wait may be shorter than the regular line but it won't be longer the regular wait time. Starrsville is a great poster here but I don't want you to be misled that you will be whisked to the front of every line. It won't happen (too many people were abusing the system so WDW changed it).
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks. I didn't know. I was sharing my sister's experience - and it WAS from a few years ago.

So, isn't that one of the gripes on the other thread - sharing outdated information?

Sorry, folks. I was there in October years ago too - but based on swalter's post, I don't think that has changed.

Thanks, padams!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM

PS - My sister didn't like being whisked to the front of the line. She wouldn't get a darn handicapped sticker for the car for our road trip this summer either. She could barely walk - but didn't want "special treatment".

I can see how the wheelchair thing could be abused though. Don't blame Disney for changing the policy.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM

Here is a link for the Disney Guuests with Disabilities page: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...sabilitiesPage

Call them at 407-939-7807 to ask about current policies for the "special guest" passes.

Did you see that there is a promotion for people staying on Disney property - your tickets can be upgraded to Park HOpper & for the Water Park Fun & More option for free. The promotion goes from mid-April to June 2nd.

Yes, there are lots of places to cool down and a lot of indoor attractions.

If you cannot get any special help from Disney, be sure to use a service that can give best days information and touring plans. We've used a book called "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" that was good. www.tourguidemike.com is an online subscription service that gave good information for developing a touring plan that cut your waits in line. www.buildabettermousetrip.com does custom touring plans - they're more expensive but you work with a real person. They're also a travel agency so if you use those services, all commissions are applied to the custom touring plan services.

You can stay at the Disney value resorts within your budget. This might be a good option because it will be easy to go back to the room for a break, if you need one. You also get free shuttle service to & from the Orlando International Airport.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM

Check out this link for lots of info on visiting Disney with special needs:
http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/special.htm
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
nls
Original Poster

thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input. Sounds like October might be a better bet for us. Someone had mentioned the end of January beginning of February also, but
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
nls
Original Poster

sorry... but, it is too late for me to make those kinds of plans by February. Thanks again.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM

We just got back from a week at POP with a wheelchair and loved it. We have previously stayed at Beach Club & P/O French Quarter. While they were great, we got more value for the dollar at POP. A tip: buy a cold breakfast (yogurt, donuts, cereal, etc)the night before and eat in your room as the food court is very crowded in the morning. Also, go to the Guest Services office at the first park you go to and ask for a red & white Guest Assistance Card. They will write your name, the length of your stay and the number in your party on this card. Show it to the person at each ride, and they will allow you to go immediately into the fast-pass line (except in Animal Kingdom). The longest we waited was 10-15 minutes, and this was during spring break when the regular lines were one-hour plus, and all the fast-passes were given out by 11am. Ask them to stamp the card 'alternate entrance' - THIS IS IMPORTANT. On some rides they let us ride twice without getting off! Also, the bus service was excellent as there is a separate line for wheelchairs, and they are put on first.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I spent 10 days in central Florida in March and the weather was perfect. Early May would be the absolute latest I would go. October is nice and minimal lines, but OTOH, October is part of hurricane season and while the chances that a 'cane would come while you're there are very slim, it's still a risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -