Reload this Page >

17-mile drive, Pebble Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 10:38 PM
Steve

Is it worth paying the money required to drive through the 17-mile drive or is this just another overhyped drive?

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 05:37 AM
Cal

The 17 mile drive is well worth the price. We go on it at least a couple of times a year.

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Sharon

I think it is one of the most scenic drives in the world and I have done the Corniches in the south of France, the drives along the Fjords in Norway; quaint roads in English countryside etc.

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 01:53 PM
kam

The 17 mile drive is certainly worth it and the fee is not that much.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 01:52 PM
gtc

I would recommend that you stop and eat at Roy's at Inn at Spanish Bay for dinner. Get there in time for bagpipe serenade I think around 5 PM and watch sunset. Not only will you have a nice relaxing ride along with spectacular views, you will have a great meal, and I believe you can get your ticket validated so you don't have to pay the fee.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Antony

Definitely worth the time & the money !
If you pass by Pebble Beach about lunch time, go down to the clubhouse and have lunch there ! The wooden floored sports bar ( the name escapes me ! ) is great for a casual lunch.....then pop outside and take a look back up the 18th hole from the 18th green.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:21 PM
John

Dear Steve:
You might want to do a search. There was a thread a while back where most folks agreed it was definitely NOt worth it. Some were horrified by the tackiness of it all.
And you might want to watch out for opinions voiced by Cal. I suspect he's a travel agent.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:02 PM
tom

I think it's lovely. It's been 3-4 years, don't remember the fee. If it's $15 or so bucks, I wouldn't hesitate.

Take it slow, stop where possible, savor it. It's not a road race!

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Charles

I just drove it a couple of weeks ago, its a fine drive, but no better than big sur or the coast of Pacific Grove. On the other hand, it doesn't cost that much. Your life won't be ruined by not seeing it, but your wallet won't be ruined by seeing it. Your choice.

Btw. If your coming down from SF try to take 1 - much prettier

Old May 7th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Bob

We live in the area and do the 17 mile drive frequently for visitors. It is about $7.50 for a car. The advice above about Roy's is good. Get a reservation at the restaurant,(casual place, great resort) and you do not pay the fee at all. See the bag piper and have a good meal. I am not a travel agent, but if you return from the area without doing the drive your friends will all ask you why. It is not tacky. Pebble Beach is world class and the home of the 2000 US Open in June. The homes near Pebble are spectacular. One thing you can do is drive the road backwards. This gets you to Pebble sooner and the ocean areas sooner but puts you on the inside lane for the drive. We normally do the drive this way as all the other tourist cars are going the way the arrows point them and that is not necessary. Just do it!

Old May 7th, 2000, 07:49 PM
john

It amazes me that people become so tight when asked to pay a $7.50 per car fee to drive on the 17 Miles Drive when they would gladly pay the fee to drive on turnpikes/bridges etc. anywhere else in this country without the scenery. If the money's too much, then stay away!