15 days Honeymoon in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Carl

Hello everyone,

I am planning on going to Hawaii around Feb 19 - March 5 for my honeymoon and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me.

This is our first trip to Hawaii, and while I like the water and the beaches, I cant imagine spending a week on the beach. I am interested in water sports, safari rides, trekking and hiking, long scenic drives, state parks and stuff. I am planning on spending 5 days each in Oahu, the Big Island and Maui.

Does this make sense ? Does anyone have any advice for me ?

Thanks a ton !

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Max

If you're planning on February 2002, my first bit of advice is GET MOVING!
Lots of better hotels are already sold out for March, and getting good airfares could be tricky so close to your departure date.
The three isles in 15 days should work out fine.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:47 PM
e

2 Oahu/4 Big Island/9 Maui or skip Oahu.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Dawn Ct

I agree with "e" in limiting your time on Oahu, but prehaps to three nights and adding it on to the Big Island. The highlights of our stay on Oahu was Pearl Harbor/Arizona, the north shore and Polynesian Cultural Center, the zoo, Diamond Head and the beach. That can be accomplished in three days. The Big Island is BIG. I would stay two nights on the Hilo side and then move to the Kona side. That should meet your needs.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Sarah

You just need to do a search on Oahu on this board for a millon cultural events, museums, festivals, shopping, restaurants etc...If you are not into the beach but love to Hike that is another search although this one done better on the internet. I find that overcast days are wonderful for hiking in Hawaii because you don't have the sun beating down on you. February I would be heading to Maui for the whales. Last check Hawaii Tourist bureau for events happening on the respective island of interest.

Not fond of the Polynesian Culture Center and suggest you do a search here for others feed back, Iolani Palace for a great tour on the palace and Hawaiian History, China Town, Kohala Ranch windward side.

Two weeks is not a lot of time I was unhappy when I split that amount of time between two islands would never even attempt 3. I just think you can absorb more with all of your time on one island. Think about it you will find yourself just getting to know what is in your area, how to find it and then you will have to move on.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Celeste

I agree that you might want to split up your Big Island stay, maybe take one day from Oahu and add it to the Big Island, then do three days in Kona and three in Hilo. On Oahu make sure you check out Waimea Falls Park on the north shore and hike up around Round Top/Tantalus above Honolulu. You might also want to check out the Sacred Falls hike but you can't go if it's rained just before you go because the trail is then apt to be flooded.

The drive around Oahu (not all around as you won't go around the western part) will easily take an entire day with stops and hikes.

Oh, and I also recommend you hike up Diamond Head. It's an urbal hike but still has great views at the top!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Tracey

Carl,
I also spent my honeymoon in Hawaii and the one thing I regret is not spending more time on the BI. We are a couple like you, enjoy sports, but not much just laying around the beach. You can do a search for my trip report, but here is my opinion:
Start off in Kauai for a couple of days-3 was long enough for us. Here is a great place to unwind after the stress of a wedding. There are some really nice hikes on the island. Also take a helicopter tour. I highly recommend the Hyatt.
We then went to the BI for 3 nights-not enough. We stayed in Volcano the whole time. If I had to do it over, I would stay in Hilo and in Kona for 3 night each. While based in Hilo go to the Volcano National Park, the lava viewing area (not near the park), and go to Mauna Kea Observatories. I wasn't in Kona so I can't recommend anything-but I'm sure others will.
Next on Maui-there is so much to do here. There is biking down the spine of Haleakea, hiking in Iao Valley, the road to Hana, ect.. I recommend the book Maui Reveled. It had everything we were looking for in it.
As for Oahu-I didn't care for it much the first time I was there so we only stopped over on our way home to see Pearl Harbor. To me Oahu is like NYC with a beach. Packed with tourists and a McDonald's on every corner.
Hope this helps,
Tracey

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:23 AM
asr

I agree with the other posters. Limit your time on Oahu to 2-3 nights. Go to Pearl Harbor, snorkel in Hanauma Bay (the view overlooking the bay is breathtaking!), maybe head to the North Shore.
In Maui, bike down Haleakala and take an "adventure" raft snorkeling trip with Blue Water Rafting.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Carl

Thanks everyone for the information.

One more question I had is - how far are Hilo and Kona ? Is it driving distance or do I need to fly ? I tried the usual mapquest and yahoo sites, but apparently they dont carry maps or directions for Hawaii !

On a related note, what is the best way to move between the islands ? My plan is to visit Oahu, BI and Maui, the order is not important. Is there a ferry service or do I need to fly ?

Thanks again.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Joyce

Best way to move between islands is to fly.
Hilo and Kona are driving distance.
Had a client just get back from Oahu, Maui and Kona.
He said do 2-3 Days Oahu, visit Polynesian Cultural Center (skip Luau), go to Pearl Harbon (no camera bags, backpacks or ever purses allowed)
Rent a car for a day and drive around to North Side of Island. Skip Dole Pineapple Plantation.
Maui-he said take bicycle tour, but bring warm clothes (it gets very cold with 50-70 mph wind).
Whale Watching they paid $19 and got to see a lot of whales.
Big Island-he said Helicopter Tour is a Must (Blue Hawaiian). If you go for night view of volcano it is a 5 mile each way walk over uneven lava, so you must be fit, wear comfortable shoes.
Arrive before dark and walk in before it gets dark-bring flashlight with Extra Batteries for walk out after dark.
Enjoy.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sarah

Celeste they opened Sacred falls up again it was closed on our summer trip form a falling rock accident much earlier in the season or year.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Sarah

Carl Hilo to Kona is about 4 hours so I would not call that driving distance just because you can use a car to get there.

Best travel info on this board about Hawaii comes from Lucy, Celeste, Melissa, Kal and other people that have lived or frequently visit the islands. Do a search on Polynesian cultural center before you make it part of your agenda not everybody would visit given the chance. I would also seek out places that will engage you on Hawaiian History in a noncommercial form
Top of my list:
Just on Oahu
Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Waimea Falls Park, Heau North Shore, Birthing ground of Alii in pineapple fields along the way.

Also read Consice version of Hawaiian history. I know you are on your honeymoon but I still think knowing this stuff will give you a sense of where you are for me that has always enhanced a trip.

Celeste apart from city of rufuge, what is available on the other islands to learn about Hawaiian history and culture?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Sarah

byodo temple Japanese and in an idealic setting.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Dawn Ct

I would not even consider flying from Hilo to Kona unless you were in an incredible hurry to get from one place to another. It would be like flying from Kaanapali to Hana. Its not only the destination but the journey. The sights are beautiful from Hilo to Kona. You can stop in Hilo, visit the Tsunami Museum for a couple of hours, drive north, stopping at Akaka Falls. Driving along the coast over the valleys and bridges and up through Waimea is not to be missed.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:04 AM
xxx

fly into kona out of Hilo