Reload this Page >

12 NIGHTS: 3 ISLANDS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
lc

We are planning a honeymoon for August 2002 and have 12 nights. Would like to do 4 nights in Kauai at the Hyatt, 3 nights at the four seasons on the Big island and 5 nights in Maui at the four seasons. Any opinions on if that is too many islands in too little time??? ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
John

Most people will tell you that's too much packing and moving for a honeymoon. I say it depends on your travel style. We had a similar itinerary for our honeymoon and thought it worked out great.
I've read people's opinions here who think if you can't spend a full 14 days in one place on one island then your whole trip is a waste. Personally, I'd be bored stiff staying ANYWHERE that long on vacation regardless of the accommodations and service.
But I get the impression most people like to linger a lot longer than my wife and I do.
BTW, you've made a great set of selections for hotels.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
Dawn Ct

While the Four Seasons on the Big Island is lovely, it would be a shame to go to the BI and not spend some time on the Hilo side. Instead I would opt for one night at least in the Volcano area, hiking and touring Volcano National Park, driving the Hamakua Coast, stopping at Akaka Falls, horseback riding in Waipio Valley and driving up through Waimea. The Four Seasons, I am sure is lovely, but the island itself is the reason for going to Hawaii, not just the hotels. You can fly into Hilo, fly out of Kona and pay the drop off fee on your rental car. Its usually about $65.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:49 AM
RMC

Go John!! Finally someone who travels the way I do!

LC, This topic is debated constantly on all the travel boards and it really does depend on your travel style. Like John said, some people would spend all 12 nights on one island, others would break it up into 2 islands, while I would do exactly what you suggest. I would also be very bored spending days upon days in one place. Think of all you'd be missing!

It's very interesting how different we all travel. When we went to the Big Island we stayed on the Kona side but spent one day traveling to Hilo via the north and one day we went to Volcano National Park via the south. This way we got to see the whole island (including the green sand beach & the black sand beach). It was great! I'm sure many people think driving this distance in one day is nuts but I wouldn't have it any other way! If you like to lay around at your hotel for a few days or just "veg" then maybe you are trying to pack too much into one vacation. If you're a mover, I say go for it!

By the way, you picked the best of the best in regard to your hotels. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:08 AM
bryan

I went on my Hawaiian honeymoon in November '01 and we too had twelve nights. We broke it up evenly, 4 on Kauai, 4 Maui and 4 BI.
It is a lot of traveling, and no matter what anyone tells you, an inter-island flight is still an ordeal. Regardless, we were very happy with our decision and wouldn't change it for anything.

As others have stated, you will be limited in what you can accomplish and what you can pack. You will not be able to do and see everything (or even close to everything) that there is on each island. You should plan your time carefully to take advantage of what most interests you. Also, don't make the same mistake as us: overpacking. Packing and unpacking was just a real pain, and the airports were an even bigger pain with all the lugguage we had. Other than that, go for it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Tracey

lc,
I also had 12 nights for my honeymoon and did 3nts Kauai Hyatt, 3nts Kilauea Lodge in Volcano, and 6nts at the Renissance in Maui. The inter island flights went smoothly and I don't think it was too much. What I do regret is not spending more time on the BI. If I had to do it over I would spend 4 nights there, 2 in Hilo and 2 in Kona. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:15 AM
sss

12 nights three islands is too much plain and simple. I have never met anyone who felt they enjoyed themselves on that kind of schedule. You are going to feel like you are on a package tour. I broke up 12 nights with two islands this past summer (I know what is on every island, some more than others) and still was disappointed. You just won't see and soak in where you are. Natural beauty is natural beauty why pop off and try to top it? Why not just absorb it and remember it better by staying in one place. Think about it, would you ever travel like that at home?

August, I would spend two weeks Kauai. Want to break up your time?... One week North Shore One week South or West shore. There is a tremendous amount of diverse hiking, swimming snorkeling. I don't bother much with Poipu but love the Hiking around the canyon and then in the Alikai Swamp area. If you are not a hiker this may sound like work, it is not you can choose trails that suit your ability.

You have to do the first portion of the Kauala Trail beginning at Keikey(sp)beach on the North Shore. This is something you will remember the rest of your life. It is a bit tough and slightly hair raising if you don't hike regularly but people do it every day as you will see. There are many trails all over the island but staying only 4 nights you will most likely drive by them.

Oh but it sounds like you want to go to Maui the most as you have allocated 5 nights there. Read about Maui and spend your time there then. Andrew Dougherty books are great I believe he just published a Maui book this year. I am not that familar with Maui I have been a few times for 1 week and then long weekends. I was more blown away by Kauai and then the Big Island. The Big Island involves more driving so that is why I would send you to the North Shore Kauai. Nevertheless, the thought of driving on the Big Island is not so bad if you are spending all two weeks there. I would stay Kona a few nights (City of refuge enjoy your hotel) then head up the Kahala coast towards Waipio Ridge (Hamakua Coast)a lot of people skip this place (remember that would be your island hopper who only breezes through islands). Of course the crowning glory of the BI is an the Volcano at night. Kauai still first choice but this is a close second. Here are some pictures of the islands http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/coastline/coind6.htm. This is an American coastline page so not all are on the island first two are Waipio Ridge. See the kind of thing you would in all likelyhood skip on a four day trip.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:09 AM
caren

too much moving around I think

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Sheeesh

From "sss": "12 nights three islands is too much plain and simple. I have never met anyone who felt they enjoyed themselves on that kind of schedule".

But "sss", there are several people right above you who stated just the opposite of what you said...that is, that they enjoyed island hopping.
Why do so many advice-givers here feel like their opinion is the ONLY valid way of looking at things???!!!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:17 AM
Cara

If I were palnning to fly all the way to Hawaii and spend 12 nights, I would want to see at least 2 different islands. That way, you get to know which ones were your favorites and then you could plan to return there at a later date. If you're going to spend the time, I think it's best to try and see as much as possible. But again, it really depends on personal preference.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Suzie

I started to post last night but got sidetracked. We went to Kauai in September for 5 nights. It was not enough. We hiked and snorkled and sailed and still didn't have time to go to Polihale Beach which I totally regret. We've gone to Mauai 3 times for more than 5 nights and that wasn't enough,snorkled, sailed lounged hiked but only made it half-way to Hana and hadn't even done the Haleakala (sp) ride. Went to the BI for a week and could have stayed there twice that long, snorkled, snorled and snorkled some more before we lounged but still hadn't gone down in Waipo'o Valley or seen the volcano.

If you decide to do all three islands you should have a plan for seeing the sites and doing the activities that interest you but also include the ever important down time. I would increase my time on Maui and Kauai since 3 nights on the BI is too short with landing and taking off thrown in. You'd have part of the landing day and then just 2 other days bfore you're off again. It's a big place. Imagine those days could be better spent on Maui and Kauai. Have fun whatever you decide.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
alex

I think that trip sounds perfect. You have just enough time in each island to relax and enjoy. The flights don't take that much time....

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:26 AM
sss

Sheeesh this is why. ...lived in Hawaii for a few years (94-97), go back every year, some years twice and yes I do think my opinion counts more than someone who traveled once. As a result of this frequent travel I speak to more people on average than most about time spent in Hawaii. I do hear people repeatedly say if we went back we would stick to one island or not hop around so much.

But lc I am a zealot here because my guests this past summer were very disappointed when we left the North Shore of Kauai after one week. They felt it broke the mood of tranquility for them.

If this is a momentous trip for you than you do want things to be perfect. No you can’t see everything on any trip but I do think you miss the flavor of a place by skipping in and out. I don't think that someone that leaves after 4 nights can tell if they were missing out, they simply don't know what is there. Perhaps you don't need to experience the islands to enjoy yourself, you decide . This strong opinion is here to help you choose yours so that you can have the best trip possible. Aloha

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Robin

The only person that can truly answer this question is LC. You know how you like to travel and what you enjoy doing. Do you hang out at the hotel at the pool and/or beach or are you out and about sightseeing most of the time? Maybe a balace of both. Try to figure out what you really want to see and do then post back and we'll be glad to tell you if we think it's too much.
(not that everyone will agree

No one's doing a thesis here and there's nothing says that you have to see everything in one trip. The bottom line is, there's no right answer to this question. All three of these islands are very different. Perhaps if anything seeing all three will give you a taste and you can always go back on your anniversary!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
lc

we are the type of people that enjoy a nice balance between pure relaxation and some moderate sightseeing. We don't like to jam too many sights into one vacation. we would love to split our time between both on this trip especially..thanks for all of your advice.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
sean

I think that you should split your time between maui and Kaui. Those are my two personal favs and while the big island is amazing....you can do a trip there all in itself.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Jim

Three islands, four planes and 12 days you should think about what space is left for balance or relaxation. No volcanic rock hurling please it's just an opinion what lc seems to be looking for. Something to be said for appreciating a beautiful place once you find it as mentioned above. Good luck and Congratulations!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
RMC

Based on the fact that you said you want some balance between relaxation and moderate sightseeing, I'd suggest 2 islands instead of three.

Almost everyone will say Maui and Kauai. I'm in the minority here but I'd take the Big Island anyday! Good luck, it'll be a tough choice.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:22 PM
dcp

A lot of good advice given. I'd also suggest limiting your time to 2 islands. You need to remember that each time you island hop(checking in/out, rental cars, airport check in/wait) you will easily lose 1/2 a day.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
dana

This has always been a topic of much debate, and having been several times...the winning combo is..7 nights each on two islands for a total of fourteen nights, OR 5 nights minimum on two islands! I agree with the poster who mentioned that so much time is spent waiting around in airports while trying to island hop. Even before 9-11 stricter security measures it seemed like one-half of a day was taken up with just trying to go on a jaunt to a neighbor island. Check out in most places is 11 a.m., and check-in is not until 3 p.m. so even if you have a 10 a.m. flight, you have to be at the airport now no later than 8 a.m., and then wait, wait, wait..then fly briefly, then wait, wait, wait for more luggage, blah, blah, blah, pick up another rental car on ANOTHER island, and then you get to your venue and your room might not even be ready for you because it's only 12 p.m. instead of 3.
Nope, two islands seems perfect, unless of course you're there for 3 weeks or something then I'd do three. But this is just an opinion.
Once we went for 7 nights and spend 3 on one island and 4 on another, but it seemed a little hectic. 7/7 like I said seemed ideal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -