Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

11 Day Road Trip/Backpacking Trip to Utah's NPs, Looking for Suggestions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2017, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if my itinerary is realistic or if I'm trying to cram too much into it. I am looking for feedback on sights to see, hikes to do, generally anything anyone might find interesting. I have listed things I plan on checking out as time allows, I am not necessarily going to do everything I have listed, they're just ideas! Please feel free to give me tips and feedback!!

Also looking for tips on good camping places on BLM land

Sunday June 11: Drive from SLC to Moab (Staying at Moab Under Canvas)

Monday June 12: Arches and Canyonlands (Delicate Arch, Private Arch, Mesa Arch, Deadhorse Point, Buck Canyon Overlook) Then drive to Fruita/Capital Reef NP (Camp overnight BLM land)

Tuesday June 13: Capital Reef NP (Drive 8 mile scenic road, Lower Calf Creek Falls, Pick up supplies in Escalante if needed, Zebra Slot Canyon) (Camp overnight BLM land)

Wednesday June 14: Escalante (Coyote Gulch : start at the Jacob Hamblin Arch Trailhead and either retrace steps back out the next day or go out the crack in the wall) >>WHICH OPTION IS BETTER?

Thursday June 15: Escalante & Bryce Canyon (hike out of Coyote Gulch, Drive to Bryce Canyon, stay overnight at Quality Inn in Panguitch)

Friday June 16: Bryce & Zion (Explore Bryce Canyon, Start at Sunset Point : Navajo Loop trail (go counter clockwise, combined with the Queens garden trail. Drive to Zion and set up camp on BLM)>>MORE SUGGESTIONS FOR BRYCE?

Saturday June 17: Zion NP (Wake up super duper early and stand in line for a camp site at South Campground) Then, hike the narrows at least 3 miles in to “wall street” (Stay 3 nights at South Campground if lucky enough to get a spot!!)>>IS SOUTH CAMPGROUND THE BEST OPTION?

Sunday June 18: Zion: Subway hike
Monday June 19: Angels landing hike
Tuesday June 20: Leave Zion for Vegas, stay the night at the Marriott Hotel
Wednesday June 21: Fly out of Vegas
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:06 PM

It feels a little rushed to me. We spent most of a day at Arches and didn't have time for Canyonlands, for example.

For Escalante and Zion, be sure to pay attention to the weather reports. You don't want to be caught in a slot canyon or in the Narrows if it starts raining. Water rises really quickly.

Others who camp will have more suggestions for you on places to do that.

Lee Ann
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:32 PM

I know I'm a geezer and don't hike or drive as fast as once , but what you have planned for June 12 would take me at least 2 days. Arches and Canyonlands deserve much more time.
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:14 PM

I am an avid backpacker/hiker and have 20+ years of experience in southern Utah and yes, you are trying to do too much. Remember--you do NOT want to drive at night in these areas--or even dusk. Too many deer and elk and other animals. There are portions of these roads that are open range--like driving at night and having black cattle on the road. And its your fault if you hit them. If you want to camp on BLM land, you need to be wherever you need to be by 3 pm at the latest--it will take you a while to find a campsite. Because everybody else has the same idea.

You can spend the whole day in Arches-easily. What time do you fly into SLC on Sunday? It will take 4 hours to drive to Moab. If you got to Moab in the late afternoon, you could see Deadhorse Point and/or hike to Delicate Arch.

Fill all day Monday with Arches. IF you have any time, yes you could go down to Canyonlands. You could set up camp along the Indian Creek Corridor and then go hike and come back for camp.

Tuesday--drive to Torrey and then to Boulder. Hike Calf Creek. Grab supplies and then camp somewhere on Hole in the Rock Road--toward the trailhead. It takes TIME to drive down that road. It is dirt and bumpy. You can't go fast. You will need to stop in at the visitors center in Escalante and check on road/trail conditions. Especially on water--you should be fine, but there might even be too much in some places.

Weds/Thurs: Coyote Gulch. I hate retracing my steps, so I would avoid that. Drive to Bryce--but again, not at dusk.

Friday: Bryce in the morning--you can certainly do the loop in half day but you won't see anything else. Also, if you want to camp on BLM land near Zion, you need to be there by 3:00 at the latest!!! Everybody else will be driving down from Salt Lake to camp. I would spend more time at Bryce, spend the night at Bryce and then drive to Zion first thing in the morning.

Wayyyy too much time in Zion. Pick the Narrows or the Subway. I wouldn't do both. It will be dependent on snow melt and weather. I don't think it will take all to do Angels Landing. Try the Kolob Canyon section--it is gorgeous and much less crowded. As for campsite options--you are going to have to take whatever you can get. Actually, you would be better off going to Zion Thursday night and getting a camp site Friday morning. Again--you are competing with weekend hoarded of people. (e.g. do Bryce last--would mean back tracking but this way you stand a chance of getting a camp site in Zion)

Tuesday June 20--You don't need all day to drive to Vegas. Add that day onto something else earlier in the trip.
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:16 PM

I like the Bristle Cone Loop in Bryce and Red Canyon just outside the park is awesome. (and less crowded) If you click on my user name, you will see trip reports for all of these areas. Most are hikes with kids--so no Subway or Angels Landing. But it will give you some ideas.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

ElendilPickle, emalloy, StantonHyde Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! I'm definitely hearing a theme here! I think I will definitely extend my time in Arches and Canyonlands, I will try make a day for each.

I was unaware of the deer and elf situation in that area, that's a really good tip to be at our campsite by 3pm, I will have some rearranging to do for sure! I fly into SLC pretty early, 8am, so we would get to Moab by 2 a the latest (after grocery shopping, picking up car etc...) so that's a good tip to do dead horse point and delicate arch that day. I really like all of the suggestions! So Thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:22 AM

If you do delicate arch for sunset, be sure to bring a flashlight with you.

And not only do you need to worry about elk, deer, and antelope, in the open range areas we've avoided cattle and horses on the road.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:02 PM

Sarah:

What are you looking for as far as groceries--super cheap Walmart giant center? Solid retail chain? Whole Foods? I can give recommendations depending on what you want. You can also get almost anything you want in Moab--they have 2 good grocery stores.

In Escalante, stop by the Escalante Outfitters for superb baked goods and pizza!! (and coffee) The Visitors Center is on the side of town going to Bryce--very well done and good back country info.

Check out Zion at nps.gov for current restrictions on Subway etc.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM

One other thing--I would skip Calf Creek Falls and Peekaboo and Spooky slot canyons instead. I like them much better--but no waterfalls or creek.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:14 AM

Seconding horses and cattle standing in the road. Even in broad daylight, they felt no need to move.

Secondin Ellen's warning on slot canyons. It's not just keeping an eye out for rain where you are but up canyon, where the flash flood will come from.
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

StantonHyde I think we'll be looking for any solid retail chain like safeway etc...
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:36 PM

Sarah--then you want to google map--Smiths or Harmons. You could have a great shopping experience at the Smiths Marketplace on 3300 South, just off the 215--plus it is next to REI AND the liquor store. What could be better???? (and it has a small camping department, would have a foam/styrofoam cheap cooler)

So you would leave airport on I-15 south, then go east on I-80, then South on I-215 and 3300 south exit is the first one after you turn off onto I-215. Just get back on the freeway going south and I-215 will intersect I-15 south again, just get back on I-15 and continue on to Zion. easy peasy.
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:37 PM

oops sorry--continue on to Moab etc. (all points south!)