Search

103th St. in NY

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Val

103th St. in NY

I'm thinking of staying Malibu in NY alone.(because it's cheap)
I looked up this district in some guide books with a map. Some of them describe here East Harlem that is one of the danger spots in Manhattan, and some say Upper Eastside of uptown in which many upper-middle-class NYers live.
Which is correct?
Thanks.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:45 AM
xx

I would not stay anywhere in that area...not past 90th st and that would really be farther away from everything that you would want to see or do.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Howard

103rd Street is north of the area you are referring to when you say "The Upper Eastside." As the previous poster said, it's probably not where you should stay.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:07 AM
John K

Hi Val,
The Malibu Hotel is located on the Upper WEST Side, 2688 Broadway at 103rd street. The neighborhood is fine. It is residential and has a lot of Columbia University faculty and students living there. I know nothing about the hotel itself. There is a subway stop on the corner and you have a 10 minute ride to the tourist sites in Times Square and Midtown Manhattan. If you don't mind being 10 minutes away from the tourist zone the area is a nice choice. Lots of nice neighborhood stores and restaurants and Riverside and Central Park's are a five minute walk away. Have fun.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:47 AM
rqf

John has provided an accurate description of the neighborhood. The hotel is a four story walk up. I have never been inside but I have walked by many times.
Whatever lobby they have is on the 2nd floor. The subway station is on the corner and very convenient to the hotel.
To the 42nd St station will take 10 minutes or so under optimum conditions - no wait for a train and non rush hour.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Val

Thank you for the replies.
Guide books give me really fallible information often
I'll correct 103th =>103rd.
Val

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Anthony

How cheap is cheap? Have you considered using priceline.com for hotels in NYC? People have been getting the 4* Grand Hyatt, located next to Grand Central Terminal for as low as $70/nt!!!!! you can't beat that with a stick. 1000 times better than the Malibu.
Check out www.bidding fortravel.comfor advice on priceline bidding for hotels.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:40 AM
brooklyn

"you can't beat that with a stick".

Brooklyn 1950's?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:30 AM
linguist

brooklyn,I think it is more Fodors 2002.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Caitlin

Val, I'll echo what others have said about the location being sfae and fine; the hotel is on Bradway @103d, right near a subway stop. I have a friend who stays at the Malibu regularly in the late fall and is happy to have a $45 room in Manhattan, but be forewarned: the place has NO amenities. No TV or phone in the room, no towels or washcloths, even (first thing my friend does is dtop by my place to borrow a towel).

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Anthony

FWIW:
I'M a 40 yr old Asian american Native New Yorker.
P.S.-
Regarding regional colliquisms (sp)-
is it just New Yorkers of a certain age who say 'pocketbook' instead of 'handbag', or 'purse'?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Steve

Re: I would not stay anywhere in that area...not past 90th St.

I live in the UES in the 70s. You notice a big difference between 96th and 97th on. 90th to 96th is still a nice area.

Are there even any hotels between 90th and 96th?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:24 PM
mjh

Re: pocketbooks

It may be people of a certain age since it is kind of an outdated word, but it is not confined to New York -- maybe mid-atlantic. I heard it often years ago in Pennsylvania.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:42 PM
John

For the poster who asked what hotels were available above 90th Street (Carnegie Hill area) on the Upper East Side:

The Hotel Wales is on 92nd and Madison...it is well thought of and close to what one might call a luxury hotel. THere is a branch of the famed Sarabeth's on the ground floor.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:34 PM
patty

It's a perfectly fine neighborhood since it's *my* perfect neighborhood. The hotel I'm not too sure about though.

Just a few doors down from the Malibu is Urban America - one of my current faves for local lunch and dinner with my family. Across Broadway, between 103 and 104, there's Jo-An, an excellent Japanese restaurant open only for dinner, and Jerusalem which makes inexpensive falafel sandwiches (or hummus, gyro, tabbouleh, etc). Also inexpensive is the Mexican taco truck which often parks on 104th St, right off the east side of Broadway. Mama Mexico is a block south and really fun and tasty but is fairly expensive. For a cheap hot breakfast or a diner-type lunch there's the Broadway Restaurant around 102nd St.

And I don't know if you're interested in this, but if you're staying up here, you might want to sightsee in this neighborhood. The Cathedral of St. John is on Amsterdam & 112th St, upper Central Park, Riverside Park, Riverside Church on 120th St and Grant's Tomb close by, Columbia University campus...

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Allie

I live at 100th and Broadway and let me tell you it's a residential area, wonderful, old brownstones, lots of Jewish families, very traditional NYC. Be sure to take a stroll along Riverside Drive in that area -- the apartments are just amazing.

For the person who keeps saying not to stay in that area... it's true that above 90th street on the EAST side gets a little dodgy, but on the WEST side it is, as I mentioned, very residential. You're close to the express train (2 stops to Times Square)

And I'd add Tomoe at 110th and Broadway as a super restaurant, and the METRO DINER on the corner of 100th and Broadway is just great. We eat there once a week at least!

Have fun! And if you want a lower west-side located hotel, check the Beacon perhaps.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Elizabeth

That area is fine, 103 and Broadway, I know it very well. I don't know the hotel.

Pocketbook--I don't know if it is age or social sub-group. I think Wasp women from the northeast say pocketbook, not purse (this would include me).

This group will say bag as well as pocketbook, but does not like the word purse.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Cindy

As yet another Upper West Sider, I'll weigh in here too.
I walk all over the upper west side
and I still think that 103rd is a little out of the "comfort zone" for most visitors. I live just a few blocks away but we all know (insert deep sigh here) that a block or two in any direction can sometimes make a difference. I personally would not send a guest of mine to that block--no, I don't think they'd be eaten up, yes there are some nice restaurants and stores, yes the area is a middle to upper middle class residential area--I just think that it's a bit more unsavory than 10/20/30 blocks south and there are other hotels if you want to stay in the general area.
Beacon Hotel, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn all all hotels on the Upper West Side that are in more pleasant areas for a visitor.
I don't know how much you hope to spend on a hotel room, but if you give us an idea, maybe we can make other suggestions for you to consider

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM
teacher

Re: Purse vs. handbag vs. pocketbook

I work with college students (as in telling them not to leave their purse/handbag/pocketbook when they leave the classroom) and when I (thirtysomething non-WASP native New Yorker) used to talk about "pocketbooks", there was some serious eye-rolling going on.

"Purse" is it here, though to my ear, it sounds like something someone's grandmother would have said ("Now dear, make sure your purse and shoes match")

"Handbag" is way too formal.