10 Days in Maine

Old May 14th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Days in Maine

My husband and I are planning a 10 day trip by car in August. We love nature, mild hiking, seafood, antiques, history, the ocean, some shopping, wine, and sightseeing. We would definitely like to see Portland, Acadia National Park and LL Bean store. Other than that we are wide open and would love some advice regarding an itinerary. Can anyone suggest an itinerary?
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:49 AM

Where are you coming from?

It makes a big difference.

Ten days will make a nice visit.
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:31 AM

Here's some of our favorites. For 10 days I would consider staying in at least 2 different locations. Bar Harbor fans will recommend several days there but it's too far from Portland to be a day trip.

The Chicken Barn is on Rt 1 Ellsworth, heading to Bar Harbor. First floor is antiques, second floor is used books.

I believe there's a wine map for Maine. We did 3 in one day one time, starting in Rockland. Cellar Door Vineyards has two locations. One is on Rt 1 in Camden but the original is in the country but not far off Rt 1 in Lincolnville. I like that location best.

Portland has some fun shopping in the Old Port Area.

History is a big area. Most coastal visits miss anything about the logging industry and other facets of Maine's history. If you can fit it in, we enjoyed the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor which is more about work vehicles than classic cars but when Owl's Head Car Museum has a special weekend with antique airplanes flying, that's worth a visit, too. At Owl's Head we actually saw a Lombard Log Hauler. We had seen photos at the Cole Museum. Leonards Mills is a small logging museum but if they have a special event, it's worth a visit (not too far from Bangor).

Maritime Museum in Bath is very nice and usually has boat trips to see lighthouses. Bath is close to Brunswick, a college town, but if you head east between the two, the Harpswells are fun to explore and you can get a map to conservation areas that are open to hiking. The Giant Steps isn't long. There's a secluded beach but last time we visited, the road in was very rutted. Another beach is never busy and much more convenient. We carry bag chairs so we can have a snack break, look at the water, maybe read for awhile. Abosolute best place is top of Mt Battie overlooking Camden harbor. Some lighthouses have public areas where you can enjoy the view.

Monhegan Island is a day trip and long boat ride. Take a picnic lunch. In addition to the hike we also enjoyed the small museum. We took a boat from Boothbay Harbor but there are other boats.

Google best lobster rolls and visit as many as you can. I liked Cundy Harbor during our Harpswells explore. But our favorite is McLoon's for both the view and the lobster.

Somehow we kept missing Rockport which is north of Rockland Interesting history spot. Enjoy sitting on a bench in the park next to the marina. Extra fun if the kids' sailing class is taking place.
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:40 AM

I like dfrostnh"s suggestions. If you want history, while in Bath do go to the Bath Iron works and in Brunswick you can visit the home of Joshua Laurence Chamberlain of Civil War (esp. Gettysburg) fame.

If you want a boat trip, I would opt to do perhaps a mail boat from Portland rather than out to Monhegan. I found going to Monhegan a bit long and very choppy.
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

We will be coming from NJ by car
Old May 20th, 2017, 05:18 PM

I love Portland!

I took a tour of the Wadsworth-Longfellow House in Portland which was pretty interesting (it gets warm in there but they give you cardboard fans).

There's a trolley tour that leaves from the Old Port area and goes through the city and out to the Portland Head Lighthouse, where you stop for about 20 minutes to take pictures. They also have boat tours.

The Portland Museum of Art has a very nice, small collection.

I had delicious halibut at the Fore Street restaurant a block up from the port.

The Portland Lobster Co. restaurant right on the water has great lobster rolls and blueberry pie.

I drove up to Freeport for the day and spent a few hours at L.L. Bean. It was fun!
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:05 PM

I went to Baxter State Park and hiked to the end of the Appalachian trail - it was worth it! We choose the harder hike - knife's edge. You can hike up the other side and it is not as difficult, less boulders. We stayed at Elbow Lake Lodge - Bed and Breakfast and LOVED it! Free canoes and kayaks, yummy food and a view of the mountain from your room. Really fun and worth it!
Old May 26th, 2017, 09:16 AM

Hi-just posted these ideas in another thread, but here are my favorites in Acadia:

Abel's Lobsters
The Naturalist's Notebook in Seal Harbor-wonderful nature center/bookstore
Do the mild, gorgeous hike around Long Pond and sit outside at the restaurant there afterward.
Have a great trip!
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:56 PM

There is a "Long Pond" in Acadia, but Jordan Pond is the one with a trail around it, and the location of Jordan Pond House restaurant. The trail is scenic, but approx. half of it is on boardwalks--not my favorite.