Reload this Page >

10 days 3-4 Islands.....too many?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Lenore

Hi! We are planning our 1st Hawaiian Vacation for this April. We want to see as much as possible during our 10 day trip. Is trying to do 4 (or maybe only 3) islands too many? We want to fly into Honolulu because it's less expensive, so we'll spend the first few days in Waikiki. We also want to see the Big Island, Maui and possibly Kauai. Does anyone have any advice on the logistics of getting to all these places? Also, we want to whale watch in Maui, but worry that April might be a tad too late. Please share your experiences including recommendations for hotels/resorts that will cost between $125 - $175 per night.

We are in our early 40's, don't have kids and like hiking, biking, snorkeling and general sight seeing. Not big into the bar scene, but do enjoy a good meal and a lively atmosphere.

Thanks for your help!

Lenore

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Steve

I don't have time to answer all your questions....but 3-4 islands in 10 days is way too much. Each move will require a drive to the airport, check-in , security, wait for plane, flight time, pick up luggage, pick up rental car, drive to hotel, check-in. You will blow a full day each time you switch islands. I would suggest Waikiki and Maui only. Save Big Island and Kauai for another trip. Or better yet, fly into Honolulu but don't stay there. Fly immediately on to Maui or Kauai and just do those two islands - Maui and Kauai.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Steve

Thanks for the good advice! The brochures make it sound like it's as easy as hailing a cab....you just hop on a plane whenever you want. Apparently not! We'll try to limit our trip to two islands. Thanks again.
Lenore

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Mary

I'd suggest skipping Oahu (or doing 2 nights there at most) and going straight to Maui, and then heading to Kauai. Maui is busy enough that you can get some of the Waikiki experience there in Lahaina and then play at their great beaches and do some hiking in Hana and up at Haleakala. I would consider spending a night in Hana. There are some cottages available through Hana Ali'i or Hana Plantation Houses, also a funky treehouse spot. Hana is great, can be terrible done in a day but a wonderful overnight or two night trip. I think that the Outrigger Wailea is a great value as is the Renaissance next door - if you purchase an entertainment book and book 50 % off. Both hotels are a short oceanfront walk from the Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons if you feel like spending money on fancy drinks and expensive pu-pu's. Plus they are fun to walk through. Check on deals, they are definitely out there right now. Kauai is beautiful, much quieter, but very lush with great hiking, kayaking, and some great restaurants. You might think about staying up on the Northshore. Hanalei Colony resort is kind of a sleeper, a nice place in a great setting. There is also a fun, funky little place called The Jungle Bungalow that you might do a web search on. NaPali Properties also has a number of 1 bedroom cottages that would give you a very different, affordable, and fun stay on Kauai. You do lose time changing islands. The Big Island is worthy of its own trip. Our experience has been that to do it is a couple of days feels rushed and you can't begin to sense it's charms in that amount of time. Also each of it's resort areas are quite a distance apart so there is a lot a driving time through barren lava beds. Good luck!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Tom

Seems that there is a real bias against Oahu. I was there in December and, as always, it was fantastic. There is as much or more to do there than any of the other islands.
Certainly, it is the most commercial of the islands, but then again, it offers some unique things. Pearl Harbor is there, as is Diamond Head and of course the beautiful Royal Hawaiian.
If you want a place that's a little livelier, especially moreso than Kauai (which is stunning but sort of goes to bed at nine thirty), don't be afraid of a few days on Oahu/in Waikiki.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:57 PM
gail

I agree with Tom. Oahu is beautiful. Waikiki is very busy but we love it. If you stay on Oahu for a few days, you must drive around the island. It is as beautiful as any of the other islands. And we have been to all of them except Lanai. We usually go to Hawaii for 3 weeks each year and limit our island hopping to only 2 or 3 islands. And even though we could virtually skip Oahu, we spend 4 to 5 days there every year. We actually find Maui much too conjested in the Kaanapali and Lahaina area. The Big Island is just what the name says - Big. So leave yourself plenty of days if you plan on going to the Volcanos Park (Hilo) side and to the Kona side. Remember you want to relax a little too. Kauai is also a very special gem. You will find plenty to do no matter which islands you choose. Have fun. Aloha, Gail

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Jackster

Hi Lenore,
I've seen this type of question come up several times in forums, and alway, 90% of the responses will say 3 islands in 10 days is way too much. I think it just depends on the type of vacationer you are. For example, many people will get a room say, on the Outer Banks and just chill out for a week at the beach. My wife and I find that we go nuts in that situation in about 2 days, and prefer to stay at a place 2-3 days and move on. Certainly the criticism is that we miss a lot, but I plan trips carefully. Anyway, last summer we did 3 islands in 8 nights - Oahu 2, BI 3, Maui 3, and didn't feel rushed because that is our style of travel. I think that trip was great to give us the "feel" of the various islands, and this year we are returning for 5 on Maui and 4 on Kauai. Sure, extended stays are great, but the reality is that for many people a single 10 day visit may be the only visit of a lifetime, and leisurely 1 or 2 island visits may mean that you never get to see several of the islands - so, I say if you can do it, go for at least 3! I also agree with your plan to do a few days on Oahu; although the urban nature of Waikiki may not be your idea of the "ideal" Hawaii, Oahu has many things worth seeing, then maybe it can be passed over on later trips. Have a great time!