Search

10 day trip from dec 20th-31st

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
ih
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 day trip from dec 20th-31st

i am planning to visit the above with my wife and 13 yr old daughter from december 20-31st.
I would like to see SFO, yosemite, vegas,grand canyon and LA.
I will fly into SFO and fly out of LA.
Is this too rushed? in case i do not wish to drive can someone suggest possible route plan.
I look forward to any suggestions on hotels or some place highly recommended.
how will it be over xmas and new year
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM

Much too rushed. Id fly into SFO and out of LA, skipping Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Do a couple of days in SF, drive down the coast and then a couple of days in LA.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM

The only way I can see cramming all this into ten days is to take a day-tour flight from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon.

Also, in going to Yosemite, you won't be able to take one of the most scenic drives in the US: Highway 1 from Monterey to Moro Bay.

Also, if this is what you want to do, I don't know of any way to do it without a car.

The routing would be San Francisco, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon (by air day tour), Los Angeles.

This general routing is more suitable for ten days: San Francisco, Monterey, Big Sur, Cambria, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Moro Bay, Los Angeles.

Las Vegas is 4- to 5-hour drive from Los Angeles, and there are many flights daily. Room rates there are at their highest during the holiday period.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably figure you'd drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas - right? Well, in Dec the only way you can manage that is to drive back west into the central Valley, south to Bakersfield and across to LV. This drive is looooong, dreadfully ugly/boring, and often dangerously foggy in winter. Not really something one would do by choice.

10 days is not long enough for everything you want.

One option:

• SF 2 days/nights

• Yosemite 2 days/1 night (but you'd need to book as far ahead as possible - that is a VERY popular time Yosemite.

• Back across the state to the mid coast around Monterey 1 day/1 night

• Looooong drive to LA 3 nights/2 days in LA

• Drive to LV 2 night/2 days w/ a day tip by bus or helicopter to the GC

• fly home from Vegas.

But I sure wouldn't do it . . . . way toomuch in way too little time.

"in case i do not wish to drive can someone suggest possible route plan."

It would be next to impossible to do this by public transport. But if you really want to try - fly to SF for 3 nights, take a day trip to Yosemite (this is a looooong day trip by bus or train and bus and you only get about 5 hours in Yosemite). Fly SFO to LA. Fly LA to LV. Do a day bus trip to the GC. Fly home from LV. -- OR -- in reverse Fly SFO to LV, Fly LV to LA, Fly home from LA

What you REALLY want to do is cut a couple of places or add 3 or 4 days.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
ih
Original Poster

thanks for the input. if i skip SFO all together and fly in and out of LA will it be possible to do LA, GC, vegas and san diego
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally can't even imagine taking a 13 yo girl to Las Vegas - but it is your trip. SF and Yosemite are 100000% more appropriate for a young teenager IMO.

Cutting SF/Yosemite and adding San Diego only helps little. Still a lot in 10 days. But that mostly depends on what you want to see in LA/SD and if you intend to include any of the theme parks

You could do 3 nights LA/3 nights SD/3 nights LV -- but you'd definitely need to drive at least some of it. W/ all the travel you'd end up w/ 2-2.5 days free in each city.

What sorts of things are you interested in?