Search

1 weekend away...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 weekend away...

from our daughter for the first time!!! Have considered with much input from fodorites, Memphis or Nashville and concluded Memphis, but the airfare is steep from NYC>
any other ideas on what is a fun, short trip from NYC for a 30 something couple to enjoy good food and music for 2 nights outside of NYC??? (flying or driving work)
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM

How about Niagra Falls? Lots to do and see there...IMO.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
hdm

Come to Toronto! There's lots to do here and it's such a nice time of year. If you decide to come, let me know and I'll give you a few restaurant, music and event ideas.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM

I second the suggestion for Toronto...great city!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

ok toronto folk, Toronto better than Montreal??? Hubby has been interested in Montreal but i was afraid too cold - if you have some great Toronto ideas/suggestions/hotels, bring it on, would love to look it up and try it - how cold, weekend of Oct. 27th?
Lori
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
hdm

Montreal's great and Quebec City might be a good idea too. Neither one is my area of expertise but I can at least give you some hotel suggestions, if you're interested.

But come to Toronto. There's tons of information on this site about Toronto -- just do a little search. The weather in the last half of October will probably be fabulous. It's really my favourite month here because the foliage is at peak beauty. If you're lucky, you'll have a bright blue sky and a nice brisk (but not cold) day. It could range anywhere from quite warm (jacket open) to nippy (jacket closed, light gloves) but it's certainly too early for snow.

Regarding hotels, I'd need to know more: how much do you want to spend, what's important to you in a hotel, do you know the city and have a favourite area, etc. Also, we have wonderful ethnic neighbourhoods and restaurants, so tell me what kind of food you like and how fancy or casual you want to go.

Check out www.harbourfront.on.ca. It's our lakeshore complex and often has free concerts, as well as movies, opera, ballet, etc. Also check out www.distillerydistrict.com (I'm not exactly sure about that website, sorry). There's often events happening there, and there are some good restaurants, shops and galleries. If you go there, be sure to go to the Sandra Ainsley Glass Gallery.

For general info, try the following websites:
www.toronto.com (not the best website in the world, unfortunately, but OK)
www.torontotourism.com
www.torontotourism.ca
www.eye.net (good art/events magazine)
www.nowtoronto.com (excellent arts/events magazine -- you can pick up a free copy at just about any street corner or restaurant)
www.toronto.hm/arts.com

It's a very safe to walk around in the evenings -- there are always lots of people about. Try these neighbourhoods and here are a few restaurants to start with:

* Dundas & Spadina: Chinatown & Kensington Market (Jewish, Caribbean, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai -- just about every nation is represented in Kensington; try noodle houses New World or Goldstone on Spadina)
* Danforth Avenue: Greek (try the Pantheon and then Athens Bakery for dessert)
* Broadview & Gerrard: Indian (Siddartha for Indian buffet)
* College Street between Clinton and Grace (Italian/Portuguese -- there are millions of restaurants and gelato places)
* Queen Street between University and Bathurst: lots of restaurants and the street gets funkier and more interesting the farther west you go
* Bloor Street from Spadina to Bathurst: U of T neighbourhood, lots of shops and restaurants, Rolu and Sushi on Bloor are both good. At Bathurst you'll find Honest Ed's, a Toronto landmark -- a bargain house that's lots of fun to visit. On the west side of Honest Ed's is Markham Village, a cute little street with galleries, restaurants, artists' studios.
* Bloor Street from Avenue Road to Yonge/Yorkville/Cumberland/Hazelton/Scollard area: shops, galleries, very ritzy, Toronto's Fifth Avenue, good for window shopping but leave your credit card at home.
* St.Lawrence Market area: particularly fun on a Saturday; go to both the south and north building; you can have a great cheap lunch at the south market -- don't forget to go downstairs.

The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is being renovated by Frank Gehry but it's open. Walk around the corner and see the funky new architecture of OCAD, the Ontario College of Art and Design. We also have a brand new opera house, the Four Seasons Centre, which just opened last week with Wagner's Ring Cycle. Also, 'Wicked' is just about to open.

Transportation (buses, streetcars, subways) is good and day passes are available. You can walk just about anywhere, if you like to walk.

If you want very specific hotel or restaurant ideas, just let me know.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
hdm

I guess I rambled on too long because I got cut off. I also meant to say that there are plenty of other Toronto experts who post here and who can give you great advice. Also, please check out www.travelerstogo.com, where I also post, for Toronto info.

Hope to see you here.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HDM, excellent info!!
I know nothing about Toronto, other than what i've learned from you -
re: hotels, have quite a decent budget, and we prefer boutique hotels (meaning, a nice vibe, not a large chain). Would love an area that would allow us to not have to travel that much at night - meaning, nice restaurants/bars within walking distance. We're new yorkers so walking to us can mean a mile or more, we're used to that - but would prefer to not have to take a cab or car for the evenings.

Toronto sounds great, i'm going to check on airfare...
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
hdm

Lori,
Here are a few boutique hotels to get you started: the Hotel Le Germaine, the Pantages, and the SoHo Metropolitan.

You may be able to get a pretty good package deal on expedia.com.

If you have questions about the locations of other hotels, ask me. I probably know them and can give you a thumbnail sketch.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM
hdm

Lori, I was just checking reviews on TripAdvisor and I noticed that the Pantages gets poor reviews, mostly about the service.

The othe two get great reviews.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM

At this time of year the Finger Lakes Region can be beautiful, a little chilly at night, but you could get a room with a fireplace and a view of the lake. There is a lot to do around there, as you probably know.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Germaine seems to be something we'd like and airfare looks reasonable so looks like we may head off to Toronto end of October! Thanks for all the input and i'll post a trip report, finger lakes region also looks beautiful but we feel like it may be a great place to travel to with our daughter, so maybe it will be a spring adventure....
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:30 AM
hdm

You're in a great neighbourhood of restaurants, theatre, sports and music.
Can't wait to read your trip report. Have a wonderful time in my city!