1 Day in Aspen - any recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are staying in Vail the first week in February. We only have 1 day available to drive to Aspen in the morning & return in the evening.

It'll be our 1st time in Aspen. We'll have about 5 hours to kill.

We're in our early 30's & I'm 3 months pregnant, so not skiing or snowboarding. We don't mind walking alot.

Any recommendations on sites to see --- shopping --- a good place for lunch --- scenic streets --- must do activities ---etc.?

Thanks!

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Aspen has some great restaurants and plenty of art galleries and shopping, but I wouldn't drive all morning to spend an afternoon there. It's too far to be worth it (and if it's snowing, the drive will take much longer). I'd go explore Breckenridge even though it is not as upscale as Aspen.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I don't really agree with padams. If the weather is decent, it's a beautiful drive and a great way to see more of Colorado. The trip through Glenwood Canyon alone makes it worth the trip. If you can drive up to the Maroon Bells (if the road is open) it's a beautiful place. Aspen is so much more interesting than Breckenridge. However, the annual ice sculpture contest will be judged this weekend and the ice sculputres will still be on display (weather cooperating).
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:34 PM

The road to Maroon Bells will be closed for the season at T Lazy 7 Ranch. Aspen is pretty small and contained within a couple blocks. Just park by the park as you come into town and you can walk around town from there.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:18 PM

i like aspen better than vail but think this trip might be a bit much. you will spend 5 hours driving. that said the drive is gorgeous. the new road through glenwood canyon is an engineering wonderment! maybe glenwood is where you should drive too. fun town, shopping but not the aspen fancy kind, and the natural hot springs pool are really fun in winter.
or you could drive a loop over to copper mtn, then to leadville for exploring and lunch at the grill (best mexican food in the state! NOT in any way fancy but everything is made from scratch - they even travel to new mexico for their chiles and roast them for a couple days every year)then back to vail driving past ski cooper & over battle mountain pass and into minturn.
as for aspen if you do go. yes park near the park. the 'to do' will be ppl watching, shopping in unreal stores, and checking out the beautifully restored victorian architecture. i'm not familiar enough anymore to say where exactly to eat but what are you looking for? fancy sit down or casual? on/near the mtn with a view or in town?
what kind of food as there will be hot dogs to caviar. couple ideas: jerome hotel - its quite old and famous, little nell on the mtn to see and be seen.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM

Aspen is my favorite town in the world and if you were staying over one nights I'd say "go for it for sure" but to drive 2.5 miles each way....

The good thing about eating lunch in Aspen is that you can eat at the fancy places at less expensive prices than at dinner.

I love seeing the beautiful people and the rich and sometimes even the famous hanging out on the couches by the fireplace in "The Living Room" and in "The Bar" at Little Nell. Definitely a place to stick your nose in for what everyone thinks of as "quintessential Aspen."

La Montagne at Little Nell is fine dining at its best- good food, nice atmosphere, friendly service. Check out the Little Nell website for sample menus and pics. They're open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM

oops...I meant 2 1/2 hrs, not miles, duh....