0ct 13 - 17th 2019 new england

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI we will be driving (hire car) into New England via New York state on the 13th October - we have a hotel room booked for the night of the 13th in Williamstown Ma and in Boston from Friday 17th for 3 nights. I am aware that peak fall can vary depending on conditions and that if we haven't previously experienced peak fall - we might be happy with just past! So I am in two minds - do we stay in the Berkshires - and also explore south - Connecticut - or as I had originally thought head towards Lincoln/Conway and then down to Portsmouth before driving into Boston on Friday. But now thinking that we could have missed peak fall
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:58 AM

You will be late for foliage in northern New England including the Lincoln/Conway route. The Berkshires and Pioneer Valley in MA would probably have better color.

Here is a link to another thread talking about possible things to do in the same time period
https://www.fodors.com/community/uni.../#post16920211
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:04 AM

I agree with Vttraveler. I would explore south into CT while you are in Berkshires. There's a lot to do in Boston so you'll be busy but depending on conditions at the time, I would consider a day trip to Portsmouth. We enjoy the boat rides such as Inland Rivers. Our favorite drive is starting from Prescott Park area take Rt 1B thru New Castle past fabulous Wentworth Hotel. A drive on Rt 1A in Rye would be ocean view plus beautiful private mansions and homes.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:24 AM

The Strawberry Banke Museum in Portsmouth is also very interesting.

Cape Ann north of Boston would be another area to explore if you want to see the ocean, have good seafood, etc.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM

I think Oct 17th is a Thursday. Boston will be busy that weekend...it is the Head of the Charles Regatta.
https://www.hocr.org/
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:51 PM

From NYC drive up Rt 7 through Conn. into Mass, stop in Stockbridge and then continue on to Williamstown (the 13th). The next day take Rt 2 (aka "The Mohawk Trail") east to Greenfield (skip the town itself), then south to Deerfield. Historic Deerfield is a 'street' with historic houses you can tour. The street was featured in the movie "Little Women" if you saw that. Ten minutes south of that is Yankee Candle flagship store if that is of interest to you. Then hop in I-91 to I-90 (Mass Pike) and head east to Sturbridge (just over an hour from Yankee Candle). 'Sturbridge Village' is a living history museum. Depending on how much you like historic buildings doing both Deerfield and Sturbridge could be overkill, but they are both different and both very worthwhile (Sturbridge has farm buildings, crafts, etc. in addition to homes - google both to get an idea of what they have). If you did decide to do both you'd stop for the night there. After that just take the highway past Boston to the north shore - Salem, Gloucester, Rockport. That area could fill up a couple days, or you detour north to Portsmouth NH. The coast will have more color later than northern inland areas.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies and for confirming what I was beginning to suspect - We will be arriving into Williamstown from Binghamton. I think we will either stay stay two nights in Williamstown - (or move on towards Sturbridge for a night) and then 2 nights somewhere along the coast north of Boston. Possibly visiting Salem on way into Boston on the Friday ( yes you are right Bette!). We will tailor what we actually do to the weather.
We are staying near the Paul Revere park in Boston and returning the car probably in Atlantic Avenue area. Any suggestions as to what times are best to avoid entering Boston from Salem on a Friday
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:04 AM

I think that revised plan makes sense. I am not sure what you are planning to do in Williamstown, but there are lots of possibilities including art museums and historic sites. When you are there you can check current foliage reports for southern VT and western MA to see where the color is best.