Where to Hole Up for the Winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Having left Manhattan, I now live in Nowheresville, Rhode Island for the summer. We're retired and reasonably free. I'd like to find a spot in a walkable city for a few months. Warmth is not a requirement, but we don't want freezing temperatures. We're culture vultures, walkers, enthusiastic eaters and drinkers . . . historic sites are good. Places we love, Italy, France, Spain, Mexico, the Southwest US but open to the world. Looking to spend about $2,000 a month rent. Any ideas?
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 04:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If I could spend months anywhere I'd go to SE Asia, probably Bangkok. The more I visit the city the more interesting it becomes to me, just the opposite of some others places. Mexico would be a close second, if, for instance, I didn't want to be so far away. My last visit to Bangkok in January for some reason I planned to leave when my companion was leaving, for no good reason I realized. Still kicking myself.

Old Oct 5th, 2023, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- exotic choice! I should have mentioned though that the tropics are out, except for short visits. I spent two years in Ivory Coast, which cured me forever of any longing for hot, humid weather.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it was me, I'd probably start looking in Costa Rica, Belize, parts of Mexico, Arizona (though the rental budget could be tough there)
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
. . . the tropics are out . . . I spent two years in Ivory Coast, which cured me forever of any longing for hot, humid weather.
In that case, my choice would be high places in Mexico. I like Oaxaca a lot, also San Cristobal de las Casas. Others who live in or are familiar with the highlands north of Mexico City are fond of the colonial towns & cities there, in & around Guanajuato, Zacatecas, Queretaro, etc. Also Puebla seems to rate highly. If you decide to consider Mexico you'll get lots of good input on the Mexico forum here.

Old Oct 6th, 2023, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any interest in Colombia? Medellin is considered to have spring-like weather year round. Dec-March are dry season, too.

I think the Mexican Peso is strong now, so maybe harder to stay in that price range. But the food is better.

Central America would be a hard no for me. Costa Rica is increasingly dangerous as far as home invasions etc...(and has been for a while, actually). The idea that it is some kind of safe haven has been outdated for quite a while.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 6th, 2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would head for Nice. It's where the Brits and the Russians used to winter in the late 1800s, and still a good choice. Or maybe Lisbon, although I haven't checked the weather in January and February.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for you suggestions and advice. My wife and I are now thinking of a few weeks in or near Naples, then spending some time in Sicily, (first time for both). My budget is flexible, the 2K was just a starting point. Obviously we'll spend a lot more once we start touring in Sicily.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 10:07 AM

You don't say how long you would like to stay. $2000 for a month long rental is quite low, you may need to head to smaller towns outside of the more popular spots. We loved Bandol, France. It is a charming town, very walkable, with good transit to larger areas. Temps in january would be aprox 12 cel during the day, so still chilly, but not freezing.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 01:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice; Ortigia, Sicily; Tucson,AZ
These are not similar but all could well for you.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 02:22 PM

We spent roughly 10 weeks this past January - March in Portugal, mostly in the Algarve..Started out in Lisbon, then to Faro for 3 weeks, train up to Seville for 7 days. Ten 2 weeks in Lagos and smaller stays in other historic towns. Loved, loved, loved Portugal..People are very friendly, honest, and it’s great value, and everyone speaks English. Algarve not hot, but not freezing either..Added bonus very few tourists that time of year!
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 07:11 AM

more info to share?

Originally Posted by MJD43
We spent roughly 10 weeks this past January - March in Portugal, mostly in the Algarve..Started out in Lisbon, then to Faro for 3 weeks, train up to Seville for 7 days. Ten 2 weeks in Lagos and smaller stays in other historic towns. Loved, loved, loved Portugal..People are very friendly, honest, and it’s great value, and everyone speaks English. Algarve not hot, but not freezing either..Added bonus very few tourists that time of year!
I am trying to plan a two week trip with my 22 yr old daughter in Lisbon and Algrarve this Jan. I looked to see if you had a trip report be don't see one. Would love to hear where your favorite spots were! We want to do some hiking, beaches (we know it won't be hot), wandering city/villages, and good food of course! Thanks!