Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Where did you venture to the first time solo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading these solo traveler threads and thought back to when I first got the idea that it is better to travel somewhere alone than not at all, in some cases!
I had traveled with my son all of his life, just he and I, but he was a little companion, even then.

One winter, I was fed up and decided I wanted to go some place to get away, some place that was warm. Son was in school so I left him with my mother and ventured out to Scottsdale, Arizona. I went to a hotel with lovely grounds and my upstairs room was right on the golf course. I went to the pool alone, restaurants alone, the movies alone and had cocktails by the pool alone. I did meet some golfers then, but they were married so no go there.

I had the best time and even ran in the desert in the middle of the night, probably not the best idea, but I saw then that I can be by myself and still have a great trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do business trips count? If I think back, my first solo trip was probably on business. I was living in the UK, and was sent to visit a location in Germany. Does relocating to the U.S. count?

When I started traveling for pleasure after the end of my first marriage I started with tours. I started with tours again after the end of my second marriage, and it was after a particularly bad OAT tour to Thailand I decided to go solo, although I began by adding extra days to the beginning and end of a couple of Rick Steves' tours. My first really long solo trip was 10 weeks in India - talk about jumping in the deep end!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My first technically solo trips were to then meet friends at a particular destination. I did this to both Jamaica and Dominican Republic back in the 80's. Also to visit a friend who lives in Europe on several occasions.

My first solo trip where I was alone after arrival was to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (where I'd been several times before with a friend).
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM

My first trip was to Scotland for three months right after high school. I spent most of the time staying with a family friend that I had met just once before. I wasn't completely alone but spent the days exploring the cities and trains solo.

My first overnight solo trip was when I went to Inverness for three days. I'd been there three years prior with my Mom, and I felt very lonely. At one point I sat on a park bench and cried.

But I ended up doing a couple of bus tours and met a Canadian girl my age. We took the train back to Edinburgh together drinking coke and vodka and having a lovely time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM

London. A really low fare tempted me to spend 5 days in London. Prior to that I had met an Austrialian woman in Greece who was traveling solo. She was having the most amazing experiences and it made me want to lose my needy travel partner and see if I could go alone. Of course London was easy. The next trip was Paris, Locarno and Vevey. After that, I was a confirmed soloist.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM

My first solo trip was a true solo trip. I decided to go to Ottawa for a folk festival to see some of my favorite musicians. I had wanted to see them for a while, but they don't really get to the California venues so I decided I'd go to them. I had everything planned by the end of March for an August trip, so I had plenty of time to build up my excitement AND my fear.

I knew no one, I had no online connections, I had no one going part of the time with me.

I got on the plane alone. I dealt with my baggage alone. I went through customs alone (never traveled out of the country and only out of the state once before with my sister). I rented a car. I found my hotel. I figured out how to get to and from the festival venue. I went to the festival alone. I did sightseeing during the time the festival wasn't going on by myself.

I was there for a total of 8 days and by the end of the trip I was completely comfortable traveling alone. At first, I felt very self-conscious about "being alone", but after the first night of the festival, I had gotten over it completely and spent the rest of the trip thoroughly enjoying myself.

Of course, the May before I went (after I had gotten my non-refundable plane tickets), the musicians I was going to go see actually ended up performing in SF... I went to see them there and kept thinking "if I had known that 3 months earlier I wouldn't have bothered with the trip to Ottawa". I am so grateful I didn't find out earlier.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:22 AM

I'm intereested in the answer to "do business trips count". Do people feel differently about traveling solo for a business trip rather than a pleasure trip?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM

I've traveled a lot (internationally) solo for business. Sure it counts but it's different. I find that the bulk of the time spent away is more scheduled with things I have to do, rather than things I just discover. But it's also a very interesting way to learn about a new culture when you are making meetings at law offices, visiting audit firms, and spending time with foreign employees and even their families. The culture of entertaining out of town guests is very different.

I usually try to hook a weekend on one or both ends to explore the area on my own, and then I revert back to my own travel style.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM

I moved to France. Talk about a leap! If moving doesn't count, then I solo went to London after moving here.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

No rules, just wanted to read some interesting tales of first time solo trips, the feelings you felt and what spurred the trip. (or whatever!)

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SeaUrchin~ honestly, I really can't remember what made me do it the first time. But now it's become second nature.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM

My first solo trip was an add-on to, of all things, a singles tour of Britain. The tour was an experience in itself, but beyond the scope of this discussion. When I booked the tour I decided it would be a good idea to spend a few days in London by myself after the tour was over. I had been there several times with my parents and knew how to get around.

How was it? I'm afraid it was nothing liberating, exhilarating, spiritual, or anything else. I wasn't determined to set out on my own or anything like that, but it just seemed the thing to do as long as I had spent the money to get there. I was actually glad to be alone after spending the previous week and a half on a bus full of people with whom, it turned out, I had nothing at all in common other than being single. I spent my time going to the theatre, revisiting restaurants that I had enjoyed with my parents, and recovering from the hectic singles tour.

My second solo trip was a week in San Diego, recovering from a trying personal ordeal also beyond the scope of this discussion. Come to think of it, it wasn't until the following year, on my third solo trip-- a Christmas-week escape to Kauai that I actually realized I was an aberration as (it seemed) the only person alone on an island teeming with couples and families. It wasn't a comfortable feeling at all.

But I still went back to Hawaii (alone) the following year. Definitely better than staying home alone.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Hey SeaUrchin~I've been trying to think about what made me do it, because I am not really a brave person. Silly and impulsive, but not really brave.
I guess I had the typical, diploma-burning-in-my-hand sort of reaction. I wanted to DO something. Plus, naïvely, I had a bad case of "the grass is always greener" syndrome, the grass in this case being in France. As a French major, everyone was always saying how much better they were at everything. So when my professors offered me the chance to do grad work in Paris while teaching, I jumped at the chance.

And spent the next 9 months panicking.
I thought I was crazy. I'd never lived away from home, I was twenty years old and had ZERO experience in day to day sort of stuff. When my parents dropped me off I was shaking so hard I probably lost about 5 pounds just from all that movement! Amazingly, once I walked through security, I was fine. I was cool, I had a level head, I was excited. Even though life here isn't all it's cracked up to be (yeah, I know, living in Europe, isn't that GREAT? Well, in some ways. Severely lacking in others. Severely). But now I look at myself and I say "wow." Sometimes I'm walking down the street and something catches my eye, something you would never see in the states, and my heart does a flip, and I say to myself: You are living in Paris. You did it. And that's the best.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

JB, I hope traveling gets better for you, you seem unique and I hate to think of you as unhappy on your travels.

Sheepie87, you made me beam, good for you! Go for it.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Like Grasshopper, a cheap flight to London tempted me, and off I went.
I didn't have a clue about travel. It was in December 1986, and I had no idea of where I'd stay or what I'd do.
I was armed with my 'Let's Go' book and was so innocent about travelling. I found a B&B near Victoria Station, and that area has seemed like 'home' ever since.

I stood in front of Buckingham Palace and had to pinch myself.I couldn't believe I was really in London.

Then I got the bright idea to rent a car and see more of the country.
I managed to drive the car out of London ( I've neve driven in the city since!) and headed to Bath... then on up to Chester. I got into the wrong lane and ended up in a multi story car park...and I started to cry.. the nice man directed me out and on my way to the B&B area.
Then over and up to York and up to Scotland.

What a trip!!! I didn't even really know the rules of the road over there. I didn't know the rules of the roundabouts.. I guess I just closed my eyes and drove on.

But it was the start of my travels.. no looking back.. just great trips.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM

France: Aix en Provence, Carcassonne, Arles. I had an extra week vacation at work and couldn't roll it over to the next year or cash it out. It was the dead of winter and Air France was having a sale. Voila!

Haven't done another big solo trip (just did a long biz trip, though), but if I found myself in that situation again, I most certainly would. I love travel, and if/when I have time and money and no one else does, off I will go.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I think my first solo, okay kind of solo was going to see my grandfather in Atlanta. That was my first train ride all by my lonesome, domestically. Internationally, was London, first time flying all by my lonesome. But I stayed with family friends of my uncle.

But my official solo trip was a road trip where I stayed at various hostels on the way. I left DC and drove to Buffalo, Niagara Falls (both US and Canadian) and off to Toronto.

I felt that was great prep for my first solo international trip, Ireland. This wasn't quite a year after 9/11 so things were a little off to say the least. But I had such a great time and met some really cool people. Some day I'll return, I'd just hate to ruin the wonderful memories if they aren't as equal to my first visit, I know, I know.....
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM

My first solo trip was London. Seems like a popular starting point! My mum had taken me to London for my 30th birthday the year before and I had fallen in love w/the city. My first international trip. I decided to go back as soon as possible...of course a few months later I lost my job, d'oh!

Fast forward 2 years and I finally have a stable full-time job. I decided to go solo to London, much to my families detriment. Last minute phonecalls asking if I was sure, warnings about muggings, etc.

The trip was a big eye-opener and made me realize how I rely on others. At the end, I was a bit homesick but a lot happier knowing I take care of myself and figure out how "stuff" in my flat worked.

I've traveled to London solo every other year so guess I'm a bit fond of the Old Smoke
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM

I just got back from a trip to China with a companion who decided to have a full blown "panic attack" on the third day of our tour!! And even though her livelihood involved lots of travel, in and out of airports, all over the world, she decided that I MUST CANCEL MY VACATION AND GO BACK HOME WITH HER!!

That is when I became a bonafied CONFIRMED SOLO TRAVELER!! Um hm.....
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Now that is a story! Will you be writing a trip report? (grin) Welcome to solo-land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -