VPN? Witopia? If so, which?

Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VPN? Witopia? If so, which?

I haven't bothered with a VPN before, but am seriously considering getting one before my upcoming trip. It will need to work on my iPad, and possibly my Android phone as well.

I know there are freebies out there, but I would really prefer to pay for one. (I pay for my email...) One of Kathie's posts sent me to Witopia, which looks good, but I'm interested in other experiences too. Also, Witopia comes in two flavors, any reason to spring for the more expensive version? (See: https://www.witopia.net/products/#matrix )
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See if you find this helpful, thursdaysd--apologies if you've already read it. I benefitted from the overview, as well as the reviews of the various VPNs.
http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-yo...for-your-needs
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NewbE. I see that Witopia makes their top five, and doesn't keep logs. Con: is based in the US. Pro: has lots of servers elsewhere.
Old Sep 12th, 2014, 02:03 AM

I used Netshade on our iPads trip last year to South America and it proved both fast and reliable. A wide choice of servers across the world. When I did have a slight issue ( down to me rather than the service!) the online help via email was very good. Available on the AppStore and one license covered ( I think) up to three devices. From memory I think we got a free trial before buying.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Just bought witopia and activated it on my iPad. Responsive Chat person, and so far so fast (i.e. I don't see any slow down). We'll see how it does in Europe. Oddly, there's a server in Bucharest but not in Budapest.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Let us know how it goes Thursdaysd. I would be interested to hear how it works with UK TV stations iPlayers - BBC and Channel 4 etc. If ever you are inclined to watch British TV!