trip insurance for family medical/death

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Italy (parents with 2 teenage sons) next summer. We are concerned because our parents (all four) are 80-86 and if we need trip insurance due to death of our parents or major illness. Not sure what type of insurance that we need. Haven't bought tickets yet,. But what happens if we need to leave the country ASAP because of our parents. Concerned about cost of tickets to return home and cancelling the remainder of our trip. This is a self planned trip. Am I being too much of a worry wart? Our parents are in good health, but at their age anything can happen.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you in the US? Sounds like you need trip cancellation/interruption insurance. I don't buy that (I don't have other peoples' health to worry about and usually self-insure), but lots of posters here recommend that US citizens should check policies at http://www.insuremytrip.com/ Note that if you want pre-existing conditions covered you usually MUST buy the policy within 14 days of your first trip payment.

You should also check that your health insurance will cover you (all) for emergency treatment abroad, and get coverage for medical evacuation/repatriation. I buy that through Seven Corners, but if you buy a cancellation policy it may be included. Read the fine print!
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are in the US. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 03:44 AM

Nothing worry wort about your question. A calamity can befall anyone at any time. As my husband says, "I've been at the risk of dying for 73 years"

My suggestions: 1. Read the fine print. 2. Insure 3. Relax
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:49 AM

You need trip cancellation insurance. When you buy this type of insurance (also called trip interruption insurance) and you need to return home early because of a death or a serious illness in the family, you can claim for airfares and pre-paid bookings etc. that you would otherwise lose. Check the details of the policy before you buy. But in general trip cancellation insurance is a good bet because you don’t need to worry – you know that if something bad happened at least you wouldn’t have to be concerned about the cost of returning home or having to cancel your trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Definitely buy trip insurance. You never know what may happen, and not only to older parents. You or you children could have an illness or accident that would make travel impossible.

I have used Travel Guard, but there are other companies too.
Evaluate your needs. Also make sure that the insurance covers in case you need to cancel before you leave home. Even if your accommodations are refundable, air fare often is not at all refundable and rebooking may not work either,