Trekking Poles

Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trekking Poles

Trekking Poles-How to take Overseas?
First time using, they just came today.
They telescope down to 24.75 inches, but I am not checking luggage, and they do not fit within anyway.
I will be taking a small/medium frameless backpack aboard as my personal item, and they could be strapped to the side. Not sure if Airlines would permit.
The steel tips have rubber ends to protect.

Anyone with experience?
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:25 AM

They are not permitted as carry on, won’t clear TSA, so you need to either use a big enough checked bag or arrange to get some at your destination.

i don’t know what hikers typically do. Ship?

In the US you can rent from places like REI , but I don’t know how that works overseas.

Last edited by jubilada; Aug 19th, 2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jubilada
They are not permitted as carry on, won’t clear TSA, so you need to either use a big enough checked bag or arrange to get some at your destination.
Agree. Some people get lucky and get through TSA and they will tell you it’s fine.
I don’t think it is worth the risk.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:45 AM

There are folding - not telescoping-trekking poles that do fold up small enough to fit a small checked bag- I think they are about 18-20 inches folded. I used them for my Iceland trip and they were just fine - not as heavy duty as the usual but stable and more than adequate. There are a number of brands online at various prices. Mine were about $25 and came in a convenient nylon carrying bag.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by basingstoke2
There are folding - not telescoping-trekking poles that do fold up small enough to fit a small checked bag- I think they are about 18-20 inches folded. I used them for my Iceland trip and they were just fine - not as heavy duty as the usual but stable and more than adequate. There are a number of brands online at various prices. Mine were about $25 and came in a convenient nylon carrying bag.
Great option if you want to check a bag.

In Europe, sports stores, like REI, will also sometimes rent. Some accommodations in hiking areas will also rent or loan poles.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:53 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Travel Tips
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine came in a nylon bag. I'm just going to check that as is and bring my carry-on on board. If the trekking poles do not make it to Italy, I'll live. If my suitcase doesn't make it, that would be a problem.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm,
Laurieco, much agreed.
I didn't want to check ANYTHING, especially for $70 (basic economy), and a fair chance of not arriving (too many tales this summer). I checked a Walking stick 25 years ago, and of course it was lost 😞.
I couldn't function without my 'stuff' in Switzerland.
Regardless, the bag I am using is TOO small.
Well, I will try contacting AirCanada, and if no guarantees, the poles will go back.
Thanks all.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Ok. I have the BOX (and the nylon bag within) that the poles came in.
I can check that original BOX correct? I think the dimensions are acceptable...but will measure/cut as needed.

I think a securely taped box will have a Better Chance of making it (and if not, I hope to get reimbursed for the poles and the $70 fee).
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 07:55 AM

We are going to Switzerland this week, and my poles are staying at home so I don't have to check luggage. I'm hoping to be able to rent some - otherwise, we'll have to adjust hiking plans to include trails that I can do without poles (I mainly need them for steep or rocky downhills).
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I ultimately decided to return the better-rated telescoping Foxelli poles and purchase folding sticks, which are more compact.
I plan to check the poles in a box on the way over and pack them in my checked bag on the way home (the 15 inches will fit).
Hiking slip and fall was what caused my knee problem 12 years ago. Even more wonky now 🙄.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mokka4
Hmmm,
Laurieco, much agreed.
I didn't want to check ANYTHING, especially for $70 (basic economy), and a fair chance of not arriving (too many tales this summer). I checked a Walking stick 25 years ago, and of course it was lost 😞.
I couldn't function without my 'stuff' in Switzerland.
Regardless, the bag I am using is TOO small.
Well, I will try contacting AirCanada, and if no guarantees, the poles will go back.
Thanks all.
I'm not thrilled about checking them either but we're flying Emirates in business class and we are entitled to two checked bags each, and two carry-on each. Since it's not costing anything else to check the poles, and our luggage will be tagged priority, it's worth it to me to take a chance and check them. If I had to pay to check them, I would probably leave them home.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:00 PM

Seems to be a sad state of affairs when checking bags is such a gamble now that one has to be prepared for the almost very likely possibility of loss.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 12:47 AM

I have Kathmandu hiking poles which telescope out and they are about 50cm when not extended. I deliberately bought that size because I wanted to fit in my (small-ish) bag, which I can do if I put them in diagonally. I bought on sale as full price they are expensive. I still have to check my bag - but I have to that anyway because we have a 7kg carry on limit here in Australia and I can never get under that.

A question though... Do you think there is significant advantage in using two poles over just one? I don't use mine often and then usually for balance on steep slopes.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 09:00 AM

I'm in Switzerland right now and have rented poles for several days each in Saas-Fee and Kandersteg - reasonable cost and very easy. Some of the sporting goods stores that are part of the Intersport network rent summer as well as winter equipment. My telescoping poles don't fit in a carry-on sized bag, so regardless of whether security will allow them on the plane, I'd have to check a bag to bring them.

Mr_go has a set of folding (not telescoping) hiking poles. He put one in his carry-on bag and it sailed right through security.

On that note, he prefers using one pole, but I am more comfortable with two when I need to use poles (mostly for balance on steep downhills or very rocky terrain).