Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Travel advice and suggestions You Never Used/Have Yet to Use

Search

Travel advice and suggestions You Never Used/Have Yet to Use

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, the vacation starts the minute my bag is checked and I'm through security. I love that little bit of time sitting at the gate with my coffee and book, enjoying the anticipation of an adventure about to begin!
As far as things being the 'obvious choice' or not, as I've said above I'm fine with visiting the tourist sites but in fact, the most memorable experiences we've had while traveling have come when we've veered off the beaten track. I want both those types of experiences.

Sorry, I'm copying my post so it's readable under the grey square:
For me, the vacation starts the minute my bag is checked and I'm through security. I love that little bit of time sitting at the gate with my coffee and book, enjoying the anticipation of an adventure about to begin!
As far as things being the 'obvious choice' or not, as I've said above I'm fine with visiting the tourist sites but in fact, the most memorable experiences we've had while traveling have come when we've veered off the beaten track. I want both those types of experiences.

"Rick Steves said "You cannot travel heavy, happy, and cheap. Pick two". Well I know which two I always pick."
I'm too old to travel cheap but still young enough to travel heavy!

Last edited by goddesstogo; Jun 8th, 2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dukey1
There are people I "know" and because I do "know" them I question some of their advice. How do you actually really "know" anybody? because you met them once? because you tend to agreew that with what they always say until you go to that place they raved about and wonderedsomeone how anybody could have seemed so nice and been so wrong?

it’s not about niceness or meeting someone once. It’s about knowing someone’s travel preferences are similar to mine. This can be from hearing or reading about their travels over time.,
it’s the same way i choose book or movie advice.

Last edited by jubilada; Jun 8th, 2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
When we were planning a trip to Ireland, everyone said don't bother with Dublin, go out into the countryside. Well I'm glad we didn't listen to that! We loved the countryside the most that is true, but we had fun in Dublin and there was so much to see and do. We also heard from everyone not to stay in a hotel, but to only stay in B and Bs. I personally am not a fan of B and Bs. It's quaint but I like to sleep in a/c and not hear my neighbor snoring or going to the bathroom at 2am, etc.. They also said we would not need a/c especially in October. Well we did need a/c. In Ireland, it is cold out at night in October, but all of the inside rooms are stuffy and warm. If you want to open windows and hear everything at 6am or late night people coming home, then go for it. I like the hum of the a/c and a cool quiet room to sleep in.

I also don't like the two days here, one night there trips. It is too much moving from place to place and what do you see in a half day somewhere?

On packing light... I try to pack light and can do a carry on for short trips. For trips longer than let's say 5 days, I always take a carry on with my favorite or can't live without items on board with me. (Example a bathing suit that fits and looks good. As a 56 year old woman, buying a suit off the rack isn't always that easy to do. Not everything looks good anymore ) I then pack a larger suitcase with the extras and check it.

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:17 AM

We are definitely in the lack of time and money category. We usually decide where to go based on an airfare sale, fly basic economy, carry-on only, and take public transportation. I like to walk a lot; we pretty much always cover 10 miles or more a day. I get easily overwhelmed and bored in museums.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by CounterClifton

If advice doesn't start with considering the person doing the asking, it's not really advice. It's just the promotion of personal style and preferences.

I seem to recall something of a quote that advice is really just a form of nostalgia and to therefore have patience with the giver. I find that true and I find that your last sentence is also true of most advice—a poster regularly promotes the use of the train for all trips, no matter what someone is asking. It’s because that poster likes the train. The person is probably lovely but their relentless promotion of the train (often when is makes absolutely no sense) is about them, not about the asker or about imparting useful info.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:34 AM

I'm glad to see others don't travel light. I pack as little as I can, but that's still a 22" roller, a soft nylon suitcase, and a personal item which is an ex-diaper bag with somebody else's initials on it, packed to the gills. As soon as we arrive all this goes in a rental car so it's only at the departure and arrival airports that I have to schlep it.

It's not all clothes. I take nine tops and a few slacks for a month, so we do laundry three times. Even laundromats are an adventure for us.

The part I don't get is "every time you move hotels you lose half a day." Isn't moving from here to there part of the fun? If you're driving you can choose a scenic route and a good place to have lunch. If you're on the train you can look out the window or talk to strangers.

I think all of us sometimes don't like a place because it's been so hyped. You get there and you're disappointed, whereas if we'd come across that same place without the advance hype we might have loved it.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
people love giving advice

but you don't have to take it on holiday with you
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
people love giving advice

but you don't have to take it on holiday with you
well, this is a travel site, so a big part of the purpose is to learn about others’ travel experiences and to give advice.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Isn’t it great that we’re talking about travel again?
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I find Fodors advice pretty good. I tend to avoid advice about routes and distances once people get out of a car/train/ferry. I have on more than one occasion been told by a bus driver "that is miles from here" when what he means is that is miles from here on a bus or a car, but actually on foot or bike it is only half a mile from where we were. People generally don't have a good geographic view of where they are. They use Apps and Maps too much.

I also find a smile and a look of sadness often overcomes technical limitations. So I've been told that I can't take a certain train with a bike but looking sad often breaks the heart of the meanest ticket seller who then tells you how to get around the rules.

Then I've met people who tell me new rule, "you must pack your bike in carboard" struggle when you ask "why" and again with a bit of confidence and a smile can be convinced that that they don't really nknow why that is an issue.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by schlegal1
I seem to recall something of a quote that advice is really just a form of nostalgia and to therefore have patience with the giver. I find that true and I find that your last sentence is also true of most advice—a poster regularly promotes the use of the train for all trips, no matter what someone is asking. It’s because that poster likes the train. The person is probably lovely but their relentless promotion of the train (often when is makes absolutely no sense) is about them, not about the asker or about imparting useful info.
We've had a few train enthusiasts over the years. Most have been knowledgeable and open about their promotion of the mode of transport. And I suppose, ecologically, not without good reason but I think also they hope to share that sense of romance they feel that comes with rail transport. There's a real difference though with a response to a question that starts with a plea to consider the train vs advice that suggests it's the best fit for every question.

Same with driving, I suppose. In Europe, there are those mentioned above who say driving is better. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Mostly it probably fits the way the responder likes to travel. (probably fits me well too).

In other parts of the world, the advice is often flipped. "Don't drive!" It's been offered universally by some on the Asia board, at least at points in the past. But is it always the best advice or is that coloured by the nervous feelings of the advisor? Me, I've found there are times and places where driving worked for us and we were glad not to depend on a driver (along with the too-familiar tussling over when we stop, being directed to commission shopping, etc). Some people love that feeling of being in someone's hands... we don't, when we can help it. And it almost feels like a conflict interacting with advisors who are sure you're just not getting it... yet.

Last edited by CounterClifton; Jun 8th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:11 AM

Shouldbe', I so agree with you!
I suppose that we all have to become a bit like human computers. During research, our internal 'software programs' access all the various bits of advice from wide-ranging sources, then uses a personalized combo that reflects our individual algorithms. And those parameters change over time: NFW would I ever lug around all of our old tape-recording gear nowadays!
But we are preparing to bring Tico the singing parrot on our next trip.

I am done. the advice
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:14 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Prior to Fodors, I just used guidebooks and friends'/family advice. Which usually worked fine except for the time I took my sister's advice on where and how to visit the Pacific Northwest, and I realized that we have little in common vis-a-vis travel.)

When I first joined Fodors, I was coming from having used their guidebooks (along with other guidebooks). I was almost in awe of the posters, etc., and I assumed that the advice-giving was above reproach, especially the advice given by the Experienced and Highly Esteemed "experts." I even ventured to offer advice that Fodors occasionally seemed to consider valuable (remember the days when we'd all be thrilled to find out we'd been quoted in a guidebook?!)

After following in the steps of more than one of those EHE and finding myself feeling like a square peg in a round hole (not to mention resenting having wasted time/money/energy doing things that weren't really a pleasure for me), I realized that I have neither advice to give nor to receive.

Travel, like marriage, is just so very personal, ime and imo.

Oh, and to answer the OP more concretely: I never -- EVER -- bought or used one of those secret money/passport holder things, you know, the ones people used to (maybe still do?) wear under their clothing. And I made the mistake (for me & my family) of following Rick Steves' advice over 25 years ago: that one just "had to" visit Civita da Bagnoregio. That's when I realized that he and I aren't compadres travel-wise (I do like him & respect him as a person.)
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kleeblatt
Good question. I would love to roll all my clothes in my suitcases as suggested by many but I just can't. Individual pieces are fine but a whole suitcase of rolled clothing? I just can't do it.
I learned about rolling clothes a number of years ago and it was one of the best tips. I find that it's a very efficient way to pack and my clothes get less wrinkled. Whenever possible, we just bring a carry-on and a backpack. I hate waiting for my luggage after a long flight and hate the hassle of lost luggage (which has happened a couple of times).

Travel advice that I have never used - probably a lot, although I can't think of anything in particular.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:29 AM

Suggestion I have never used: Pack and wear old clothes and toss them after wearing. I do not wish to wear old clothes. I wear them to garden or clean the house.

We have also had a couple of posters here who offer advice and become very upset and vow to leave the thread because the original asker did not agree to follow all the advice given.
I consider advice as ideas to consider and may use those ideas and may not. I offer "ideas" the same way-use it or don't.

I am getting better at packing light.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by goddesstogo

Sorry, I'm copying my post so it's readable under the grey square:

"Rick Steves said "You cannot travel heavy, happy, and cheap. Pick two". Well I know which two I always pick."
I'm too old to travel cheap but still young enough to travel heavy!
heavy and happy all the way for me!
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:53 AM

Having caught up with the posts, I'll now add:
I've never used a money belt or similar thing. I might be sorry about that one day but so far, so good.
I also don't like B&Bs. Too much like staying with family. I like a hotel, preferably a big modern one with a nice lobby bar and rooftop restaurant if I'm in a big city. In a small town, smaller will do and I'll forgo the bar but I still want it to be a hotel or even an inn, but not a B&B..
Distances, especially walking, are so subjective. We were once looking for a specific building in a small town in north England and were told it was way too far to walk. We decided to try it anyway and found out it was about a 15-minute walk, about the same amount of time we'd walk every day to get the subway to take us to work.

I know it's a pain in the neck for me to double post everything but it's the best way I've found to deal with the grey square until they get that fixed. Read the black version, not the blue italic version:
Having caught up with the posts, I'll now add:
I've never used a money belt or similar thing. I might be sorry about that one day but so far, so good.
I also don't like B&Bs. Too much like staying with family. I like a hotel, preferably a big modern one with a nice lobby bar and rooftop restaurant if I'm in a big city. In a small town, smaller will do and I'll forgo the bar but I still want it to be a hotel or even an inn, but not a B&B..
Distances, especially walking, are so subjective. We were once looking for a specific building in a small town in north England and were told it was way too far to walk. We decided to try it anyway and found out it was about a 15-minute walk, about the same amount of time we'd walk every day to get the subway to take us to work.

Last edited by goddesstogo; Jun 8th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 09:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
My husband hates B&Bs and loves apartments. I slept on the floor in one because the bed was so squeaky and just like privacy. Yes to Dublin girlonthego.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goddesstogo
I've never used a money belt or passport holder thing. If I am walking around in a city, I will place my wallet in my front pocket or, if I am wearing shorts or pants with a button on the back pocket, I'll make sure it's buttoned. I am also with you on hotels versus B&Bs.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 09:46 AM

I'm not a fan of money belts either. I've honestly never found one that fit comfortably under my clothes. I tend to carry a small handbag that I keep track of. I always choose bags that zip up completely and I keep my hand on it in crowded situations, so I think it's pretty safe. I do have a small silk sleeve with a snap on it that can be hidden under my clothes - snapped to my bra or something. I use that when I want to go and not take a handbag - like out at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -