Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Travel advice and suggestions You Never Used/Have Yet to Use (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/travel-advice-and-suggestions-you-never-used-have-yet-to-use-1697993/)

Sue_xx_yy Jun 8th, 2021 03:29 AM

Travel advice and suggestions You Never Used/Have Yet to Use
 
From the how many days to spend in city x that you ignored, to the must see that you somehow didn't, to the packing advice you found you never followed, to the value of a hotel (was it indeed just a place to sleep?), to "Don'ts of Travel" that you actually ended up doing.

What travel advice didn't you use? Do you regret not taking the advice, did it not matter, or were you secretly (or not so secretly) glad you didn't follow it because you discovered something that worked better for you?

Dukey1 Jun 8th, 2021 03:49 AM

We used to have two posters here and I routinely ignored some of their advice: that there was a "rule of thumb" about the number of days you HAD to follow when deciding on the number of days to stay anywhere. The other person's "rationale" often consisted of the words, "such and such is the obvious choice" without any further explanations even when asked for them.

flygirl Jun 8th, 2021 04:02 AM

I just like talking about travel and nattering through options, I couldn't even tell you if I took or didn't take specific items of advice. Although I would say I would be likely to take advice on "see this when you go here" or "definitely visit this little village" sort of thing (if I could fit it in).

One bit of advice I definitely DO NOT TAKE relates to packing lightly. I cannot do it. Straight up, cannot do it. I mean, I think I pack *relatively* lightly - one checked carryon, one carryon-carryon, and one "bag stuffed under the seat" - for me that is light. I have had some trips where I realized I could have brought a little bit fewer things but I still would have needed that framework, just fewer things in the same amount of bags.

jubilada Jun 8th, 2021 04:04 AM

We are very slow travelers so often advice doesn’t suit our preferred pace,so i try to modify advice that sounds compelling.

Dukey1 Jun 8th, 2021 04:13 AM

When I read, "Do not go there, it is a tourist trap" I immediately wonder what I missed and consider going there ASAP.

gail Jun 8th, 2021 04:49 AM

"You can't go to Italy and not go to Rome". There will be other trips and waiting for lightening to strike me down for never having been to Rome.

schlegal1 Jun 8th, 2021 04:55 AM


Originally Posted by jubilada (Post 17249680)
We are very slow travelers so often advice doesn’t suit our preferred pace,so i try to modify advice that sounds compelling.

Exact opposite. We do a LOT on vacations and if we posted itineraries for critique ahead of time we would get oodles of “slow down” and “stop doing so much.” We like our travel style. We will eventually slow down when we get to the “more time and bigger budget” stage of life.

We go to loads of tourist traps, too. We love them, whether they are good or bad they make for a memory!

amyb Jun 8th, 2021 04:59 AM

Everyone that told me not to bother with Pisa. Those three buildings are gorgeous on their own, but set against the green grass of the piazza and a bright blue sky, they were breathtaking to see as I rounded the corner and came upon them. Somehow none of the crowds mattered, I was just completely blown away. And for everyone who told me I'd hate Russia and not to waste my time: it's still my favorite non-safari trip, 11 years later.

jubilada Jun 8th, 2021 05:06 AM


Originally Posted by schlegal1 (Post 17249695)
Exact opposite. We do a LOT on vacations and if we posted itineraries for critique ahead of time we would get oodles of “slow down” and “stop doing so much.” We like our travel style. We will eventually slow down when we get to the “more time and bigger budget” stage of life.

We go to loads of tourist traps, too. We love them, whether they are good or bad advic make for a memory!

you post illustrates why travel advice is so often unhelpful unless the advice giver is a known quantity( by the way,

Macross Jun 8th, 2021 05:18 AM

You have to rent a car to see everything. No thanks, if I am missing something so be it. I love public transportation. I also count travel days as they are part of the adventure. I saw a video of the glacier express last night. 8 hours on the train and the most beautiful scenery. I am a dork and watch kara and Nate on youtube. I like ferries also. Love Cinque Terre, touristy or not. Last but not least, we love airbnb and staying four nights just to explore.

Amyb, Scott's cheap flights have a 500 rt ticket to Pisa right now.

Dukey1 Jun 8th, 2021 05:20 AM

There are people I "know" and because I do "know" them I question some of their advice. How do you actually really "know" anybody? because you met them once? because you tend to agree with what they always say until you go to that place they raved about and wondered how anybody could have seemed so nice and been so wrong?

goddesstogo Jun 8th, 2021 05:27 AM

I don't pack light either. My sister prides herself on never taking more than a carry-on no matter how long the trip but I'm not of that ilk. I'm a happy over-packer. My suitcase has wheels so what do I care? And so I spend some time waiting at the carousel. Well, I'd rather do that than have to shop for underwear or shampoo or washing t-shirts in the sink. If I come home with one or two items I didn't wear, I figure I've packed perfectly.
I'm also happy to visit the tourist sites but I don't like staying in them. I have a friend who won't stay anywhere except the Times Square area of NY and that seems like living hell to me.
One piece of misguided advice I got from here was for our Hudson Valley drive. Many posters said three days would do it. Some disagreed and said four. We did give it four days but honestly? I wish we'd given it a week. We felt we had to skip too many things and would have liked to spend another day or two in some of the pretty small towns. That's a drive I'd like to do again sometime.
(editing to get out from under the grey square)

MichelleY Jun 8th, 2021 05:38 AM

Same with Pisa. It is a must see as far as I am concerned. Advice I am glad we haven’t taken is to go to Branson MO. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

CounterClifton Jun 8th, 2021 05:40 AM

Like Dukey, I've ignored the minimum day rule on many occasions. The logic being all the "packing and unpacking" it saves but yeah... I'm fine grabbing a shirt and my toothbrush out the next morning and leaving the bag packed. I love to dawdle, sure, and often I don't bother to see any of the must-sees as we loiter for days. It's nice. But sometimes there's a lot to get to and not as much time available as I'd like. And I've never found a lot of wisdom in the "you'll be back" justification for "slowing down" . Maybe... but I haven't been back to anyplace in 20 years so.... it kind of feels like they're talking about themselves and not so much us and our trips.

CounterClifton Jun 8th, 2021 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by Dukey1 (Post 17249672)
"such and such is the obvious choice" without any further explanations even when asked for them.

I've had such great visits to places that weren't the obvious choice. Maybe even **because** they weren't the obvious choice. And I've had some pretty 'meh' stops (for my tastes) in places everyone knows you have to go to.

If advice doesn't start with considering the person doing the asking, it's not really advice. It's just the promotion of personal style and preferences.



Melnq8 Jun 8th, 2021 05:48 AM

We didn't take the advice of the Aussie bloke who was adamant that three days in Tasmania was sufficient. We've been twice, for two weeks each time. The dude had obviously never been there.

I pack much lighter than I used to, but I'll never be one of the carry on only crowd. I have no problems with waiting a few minutes for my luggage and I have no interest in trying to find a place to stash a bulging carry on as many seem to do. I've had trouble finding room for my small backpack on board a flight. In fact, once a woman gave me grief for putting my small backpack in the overhead instead of under my seat because it took up room that the overpacked carry on people needed. You want your space and mine too? I travel that way so I can have the space under the seat for my feet, FFS.

kleeblatt Jun 8th, 2021 05:54 AM

Good question. I would love to roll all my clothes in my suitcases as suggested by many but I just can't. Individual pieces are fine but a whole suitcase of rolled clothing? I just can't do it.

Fra_Diavolo Jun 8th, 2021 05:59 AM

I'm another who ignores the "carry-on only" trend.

After a trans-Atlantic flight I take a nap and a shower. I'm in awe of those who can power through and conquer jet lag but I can't do it.

I think Mexico is more vibrant, exotic and has better food than some European countries.


Macross Jun 8th, 2021 06:13 AM

I use to check a bag if it was a nonstop flight till some dude picked our bag off the belt and lost us two hours missing our bus to Galway. Last flight we took before shutdown the people that checked were so upset as the flight was delayed and their bags were soaked from the pouring rain and then froze on trip in cargo. I heard a lot of people with filthy frozen clothes bitching when they discovered this. Word of advice put red and darks in zip-locked bags. One lady had pink clothing. I knew some of my fellow travelers and they said they would have to find a laundromat after arrival. So, I still carry on with a 20-inch suitcase.

flygirl Jun 8th, 2021 06:18 AM


Originally Posted by goddesstogo (Post 17249709)
I don't pack light either. My sister prides herself on never taking more than a carry-on no matter how long the trip but I'm not of that ilk. I'm a happy over-packer. My suitcase has wheels so what do I care? And so I spend some time waiting at the carousel. Well, I'd rather do that than have to shop for underwear or shampoo or washing t-shirts in the sink. If I come home with one or two items I didn't wear, I figure I've packed perfectly.
I'm also happy to visit the tourist sites but I don't like staying in them. I have a friend who won't stay anywhere except the Times Square area of NY and that seems like living hell to me.
One piece of misguided advice I got from here was for our Hudson Valley drive. Many posters said three days would do it. Some disagreed and said four. We did give it four days but honestly? I wish we'd given it a week. We felt we had to skip too many things and would have liked to spend another day or two in some of the pretty small towns. That's a drive I'd like to do again sometime.
(editing to get out from under the grey square)

Rick Steves said "You cannot travel heavy, happy, and cheap. Pick two". Well I know which two I always pick.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:23 PM.