Teaching English in China, need advice!

Feb 17th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Teaching English in China, need advice!

Hey all, i hope this is the right place for this post but yeah. As the title says I am thinking about teaching english in china.
Does anyone on here have experience doing this?

I would mainly like a heads up on the biggest culture differences and maybe what to expect from the companies i may be working for also some travel tips on where your favorite places to visit in china are.

I have been looking at jobs on Dave's esl cafe and i am currently talking to people at chinatesl.com about a job in kunming, seems to be legitimate but any advice in that area would be appreciated as well.

thank you so much
Feb 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM

I know nothing about teaching/certification. But regarding Kunming, not my favorite city. I suppose there are worse places but of all the places I've visited in China, I'd put it high on the list of least interesting.
Feb 17th, 2016, 08:58 PM

Welcome to Fodors. Dave's cafe is the place I would have suggested looking for advice. Here on Fodors, you will get more replies on the Asia forum.

Unlike MmePerdu, I quite liked Kunming, although that was partly because the weather was so much better than that in Chengdu. I also found the area to the south interesting, and at least in 2004 very little visited by tourists.
Feb 17th, 2016, 09:08 PM

I spent some time in & around Jinghong to the south, also in Yunnan, and loved it, wouldn't mind living there. It was a while ago, though, 2005 if I recall and construction on some major tourist hotels was just beginning. But I suspect I'd still like it better than Kunming.
Feb 20th, 2016, 03:21 AM

Such a fascinating country, but some aspects of life there would make me hesitate to make a lengthy visit. We were there in 2006 and found the air pollution horrific, not only in the cities but in the countryside as well. There was a perpetual haze. It wasn’t a problem when we went up on the Tibetan plateau. and we weren’t in the south so can’t speak to that area. Smoking in public places is much more common than you would find in North America. I was concerned that there would be a lot of public spitting, but it wasn’t as common as I was expecting, and may have changed since.

So much depends on your attitude, and the fact that you are expecting and trying to learn about cultural differences is a good sign. Good luck with you r plans.