Summer Teaching Jobs Abroad

Old Feb 4th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Teaching Jobs Abroad

I am a high school math teacher in Iowa. I love the job I have here teaching and coaching, but have an itch to travel and it needs to be scratched. I would love the find a summer job that lasts 4-7 weeks and allows me to travel and work with youth or at least do something of value with my time and make a few bucks. I have noticed many jobs require a TESOL, TEFL, or CELTA certificate. Would it be of value to me to invest in getting a certificate so that I can continue to have opportunities to travel abroad for years to come.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea what the demand might be for short term teachers. However, you might find some useful information here: http://eslcafe.com
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would find out about short term placement before investing in a certificate. My impression is many placement are a 1-2 year minimum.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 08:29 PM

This might interest you.
In Spain there is a school called Vaughan Town. It has two or three locations. Spanish people go there to learn English and to converse with native English speakers, who are volunteers. You, the volunteer, pay your own way to get to Spain, but if you are selected as a volunteer, the organization provides housing and food, while you spend your days speaking english to students. Most are adults. It looks like a lot of fun. Just google Vaughan Town, Spain. Pictures of the little town is beautiful and reviews by people who do it are really good.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM

Follow thursdaysd's advice and go to eslcafe. The suggestion by Sassafrass is also valid.

In general, your wish is not practical at all. For starters, you have to be able to legally work in a country. Who wants a teacher for a month? What you are saying is you can't afford to travel but want to travel anyway. I'd say 'do the math'.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 08:36 AM

If you would consider giving up your job in Iowa, look into teaching at DOD (Department of Defense) schools. It usually takes a couple of years, and competition is high. There are only a few left and you take the first one that comes up. After a couple of years teaching in the system, you can possibly transfer. I know there is one in Spain, one in Germany and one in Sicily still. There may be one in Crete. Anyway, worth checking out because the experience is great and you are living in interesting places.

Also, look into International Schools. They are in nearly every country in the world. Major move for you, but could be very interesting for a few years and good chance to learn other languages.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM

One last thing. You could lead trips for student travel companies like CHA-tours, Explorica, Passports, EF-tours, etc. Your school may or may not allow it, but basically, you decide on a tour, advertise for students to go, and put a group together. It is a huge responsibility and a lot of work, but your way is mostly, if not all, paid, depending on the number of students. You have to start planning about a year ahead and it is difficult it your student body is small or or not affluent. It also works best for language and history students, but you might pair up with another teacher.

Please come back and let us know if you are seeing these ideas.