Search

Solo traveler to Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo traveler to Italy

I will travel to Italy alone in late Sept-early Oct. I have been to Europe several times, but never alone. I will visit Rome and other cities. I will be there 2.5 weeks. Any suggestions for a first time solo female traveler?
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM

I assume you have your itinerary picked out. One good site to find hotels is www.venere.com They have listings, pricings, pictures, location in town, and, most important, reivews of people who have stayed there before. I've used them for my last 2 trips to Italy.

You can always try to book with the hotel directly (which I normally do, as I get a cheaper price), but Venere gives you and idea of what each hotel is like.

There is a website called www.trenitalia.com that will give you train pricing and timetables. You can bounce this off of whether or not you want a rail price. Once you figure out the logic of the site, it's pretty simple. Print the pages out of where you're going and recycle them once you're done.

If you're into food, the best food in Italy is in the non-tourist area west of Bologna. Towns like Modena and Pamra have some great specialties. The ravioli with sweet squash is to die for, and lightly cooked squash blossoms are ethereal.

I have more, but will let others fill in the blanks.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have traveled a bit around Europe solo. I spent time in Venice, also Amsterdam by myself. What kinds of tips are you looking for? I've always had a wonderful experience and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

I'd map out your route & book your hotels in advance. Pick ones in central locations within each town or city, so you can easily walk around on your own.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM

I went to Rome and the Amalfi Coast solo, and I had a wonderful time. Be mindful to pack as light as possible because you are your own pack-mule (so to speak).

I recently was in Ireland and one of my friends there hosts couchsurfers from time to time, and I met several people who were there couchsurfing with other friends, and for the right people, it's a lot of fun. It may or may not be right for you, but I mention it because you can register on the website to just meet someone for coffee, which in a city like Rome, might be a good idea. The next time I do a solo trip, I'm going to try it!
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all or your advice and encouragement. Each time I get a response, I get VERY excited and more brave. I am still working on the itinerary.
I will have about 2.5 weeks. I plan to do a week in rome and let this be my busiest week. I will hopefully take some day trips from Rome and then work my way north and fly out of Venice.
Any ideas on lodging? I am NOT a hotel person. I prefer to patronize locally owned places and stay at mom and pop places.
Any suggestions?
Also, does my itinerary sound reasonable?
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sheri_lp. I have never heard of couchsurfers, but it sounds like a fantastic idea.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM

It seems to attract like-minded people who are interested in really meeting locals and sharing a cultural thing - I was pretty impressed with everyone I met.