Searching for paradise

Sep 25th, 2019, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Searching for paradise

I think that I may be able to find a lot of information to my questions on this forum. However the amount of information is daunting to shift through. So I will ask my questions directly.

Never having left my hemisphere, I find myself looking to find an exotic island. But which one? I think I would enjoy going to Bali, Bora Bora, or Seychelles from the few pictures I've seen. But, never having been there before, how do I choose. I have been looking across the web for several days now and am no closer to a destination. It seems as many travel articles are written to be advertisements and don't have any cons for any location. So, I reach out to this community in search of knowledge.
I'm looking for a location which has:
Modern beach side bungalows (but not necessary, as long as the hotel isn't a towering monstrosity).
Fine sandy beaches
Warm crystal clear blue waters
Wildlife fluttering and crawling about
Scuba and snorkeling
Local villages where handmade wonders can be obtained.
Local cafes with native offerings
Hiking to high vista's
I want to be adventurous 1 day and pampered the next as this will be a trip to celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary.

I should add that I would be looking at June or July of 2020 and a 7-10 day trip.
(If this time of year is a mistake please let me know.)

Thank you all in advance.

Sep 25th, 2019, 11:25 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Hopetobelost View Post
never having been there before, how do I choose. I have been looking across the web for several days now and am no closer to a destination. It seems as many travel articles are written to be advertisements and don't have any cons for any location. So, I reach out to this community in search of knowledge.
Maybe a few people will provide suggestions of specific locations, but my recommendation would be to go to your nearest bookstore or library and do your research with guidebooks. You'll find much more comprehensive information about specific options in guidebooks (along with a host of information you don't even know to ask about) than you can possibly find by scanning the web. And even if the guidebooks don't specifically cover "cons", you should be able to see distinct differences across locations with a bit of research.

Good luck!

Last edited by kja; Sep 25th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sep 26th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

I hadn't thought of the library. This should be interesting. I haven't been to one in many years. I'll give it a go.
Sep 26th, 2019, 10:16 AM

I agree with the pile of guidebooks from the library suggestion. The internet is great but overwhelming. One you narrow it down a bit, say you've found 3 islands you are choosing between, then read & post on the various Destination Forums specific to that area (both here on Fodor's and on Trip Advisor forums too).

Also it helps if you say where you live. Starting from the USA, or UK, or Europe, or??? speaking to how far it makes sense to go. When you only have 7-10 days you probably don't want a 24 hour flight each direction, for example.
Sep 26th, 2019, 12:47 PM

Hi HTBL,
Maybe check whether your jurisdiction has a Reference Library as part of its public branches collection. If so, such a place will hold a wide variety of all the usual guidebooks and likely a map collection too: in other words, '1-stop shopping' for your travel research. That way, you could take your time perusing all the related books and there might even be a specialty title that'd help you answer your own question.
Bon chance!
I am done. The end.
Sep 26th, 2019, 01:58 PM

I love tropical vacations, but can't think of any that come anywhere close to what you describe (having been to Jamaica, Domincan Republic, USVI, various coastal Mexico resort towns, a couple Hawaiian islands)

You need to decide your destination before anyone can say if summer months is a 'mistake'

Maybe double-post on the Australia & Pacific branch for people more in the know about that part of the world.

Hardly anyone reads this Travel Tips branch.
Sep 26th, 2019, 06:11 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Hopetobelost View Post
I hadn't thought of the library. This should be interesting. I haven't been to one in many years. I'll give it a go.
I hope you find it to be a good resource!
Sep 26th, 2019, 11:06 PM

The library is a great place to start, although the world is a big place so you would probably need a shopping trolley for all the guide books!

If weather is important to you, then to narrow it down a bit I would just google "best time to visit" once that is done, then search for countries and destinations that meet your needs.

Off the top of my head I would say that Bali offers just about all you are seeking. Mountains, beaches, handicrafts and some stunning villas fit for anyone’s 10 wedding anniversary. You may not get all of what you want from a single destination on the island but it is small enough to split your time say between Ubud, the cultural centre in the central highlands (think rice terraces, volcanos and amazing villas overlooking forested valleys) and a beach destination, but do choose carefully as not all beaches in Bali are great.

The other option I would consider is Malaysian Borneo - jungles, rivers, Wildlife, beaches in reasonable proximity to one another as well as all the handicrafts you could want. Some details and photos of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/malaysia/ the post from #3 cover Borneo.
Hotels in the region offer great value.

I am based in the U.K. and both of those locations are possible from Europe in 10 days. If you live elswhere, getting there may take some time.

Once you have narrowed your options down I would repost on the appropriate regional forums
Sep 30th, 2019, 02:53 AM

hi,
I love Palawan in the Philippines, although you will not find high mountains it's so beautiful and exotic! And the people are very friendly... but that is just my opinion.
Oct 1st, 2019, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. I've been given some good direction here. I'm sure I'll narrow it down.
Oct 4th, 2019, 08:12 PM

St. Lucia
Sugar Beach resort
Oct 9th, 2019, 09:11 AM

Where are you flying from? From what you've posted, I agree that Bali fits your description if it's in the correct hemisphere.

There is actually a helpful poster on the Indonesia forum, marmot, and an excellent trip report or two (kja).

You could combine Ubud with a beach location...you'd want to ask on that forum which one isn't high rise city, though.

June is pretty decent weather there, I believe.

Oct 9th, 2019, 07:26 PM
kja

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
From what you've posted, I agree that Bali fits your description if it's in the correct hemisphere.... There is ... [an extremely] helpful poster [about Indonesia on the Asia] forum, marmot, and an excellent trip report or two (kja).... You could combine Ubud with a beach location.
Thanks, mlgb! I agree that Bali could work, but I haven't been to the other locations the OP mentioned, and so didn't feel able to comment.

Here's the link to my trip report; the section on Bali begins with post # 128
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali