Road trip San Francisco to Seattle in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a road trip from Friday August 29 to Saturday September 6 traveling San Francisco to Seattle. Dates and total length are flexible. We would like to see Napa Valley, Crater Lake NP, Oregon coast, Mount St Helens, Olympic NP and Seattle. Just traveling as a couple. We've been to Yosemite and spent a week in Yellowstone last year and loved it ! Want to see more of the West and this itinerary would be new. What can we expect for weather, traffic and lodging ? What are we missing ? What should we skip ? I've seen other trip suggestions to travel north to south, but would prefer to go south to north. How important is that ? Thanks ! LTTC
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:20 PM

LTTC, I suggest you report this on the United States board, tagged with CA, OR and WA. This board is for more general trip advice; your specific questions will find a larger audience there. Good luck!
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think you're missing anything. It sounds like a great trip. If your total length is truly flexible, I'd add a few more days and take at least an overnight to Victoria, BC after your Seattle stop. There's nothing wrong with going from south to north. Be sure to have hotel reservations along the way because your travel time includes the Labor Day weekend. I'd try to book something first at Crater Lake and plan accordingly.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good advice so far. Do you want to see the Coast Redwoods and any of the beautiful Oregon and northern California coast?
You may find that flying to Seattle (or Portland) is cheaper including the one way car rental than flying to SFO.
Reserve a night at Crater Lake lodge and then plan before and after from there.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You will get many more replies if you post on the United States forum and tag the post California and Washington. Also do a 'search' because there are several threads already running with lots of good information on exactly this same topic.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You say Napa valley but I really like Sonoma and it's often less crowded than Napa. Research a bit to have some ideas of which wineries appeal to you in either/both, have a hotel reservation and then just wander for a day or two. It's my favorite way to do the wine country. The actual location doesn't matter much if you are interested in leisurely driving around and enjoying the countryside and the wine.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

To each one who responded - Thank you for your input ! I have requested my topic be moved to the US board tagged OR.