Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Question about traveling with prescription medication?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take 10 mg of Lisinopril for high blood pressure everyday. I am going to be doing a lot of traveling soon and will be flying on airplanes, driving in cars, walking around, etc. Is it necessary to put a cotton ball or something else in my prescription bottle with the medication to make sure the pills don't move around and break? Is this even necessary? I just want to make sure the pills stay safe and don't break, melt, etc. I was planning on just taking the Lisinopril pills in the prescription bottle as they are and not dealing with cotton balls or anything else, so if you have any advice or reasons on why this is a bad idea, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I just take mine in the original prescription bottle without cotton balls. Never had a problem with them breaking so you should be OK.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM

My husband also takes Lisinopril. Have never had any problems while traveling. In fact, I normally load all our pills in small plastic bags that I label with day and time of day to be taken.

As long as you have the label from the prescription bottle with you (I just peel ours off and put on index cards), you really don't need to take the bottle.

No one has ever said anything about our prescription meds not being in the original container in the last 10 yrs of traveling overseas.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Instead of peeling the label off of the bottle, a lot of pharmacies will just print an extra label for you. Also, sometimes it's easier to put pills into two or three small bottles instead of one very large bottle. That way you can ditch the bottles as they empty instead of carrying around a 2/3 empty bottle.

If you're worried about breaking, melting, etc talk to your pharmacist and ask for advice.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I take the prescription drugs in the prescription bottle. I also give my traveling companion enough pills to last the trip in case I have my bag stolen or lose the pills in any way. I have never had this happen but I feel much safer knowing that I have backup pills for high blood pressure if mine are lost or stolen.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do stuff my (non-prescription) pill bottles with cotton, but I have no idea whether it's really necessary. But it's such a simple thing to do.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Since my husband and I both take numerous prescriptions and supplements, it would take up way too much room in our carryon if we took original containers with us on a 2-3 week trip. Obviously, if you only take one or two prescriptions, it's not such a problem.

As far as labels, if you mail off your prescriptions for a 90 day supply as we do, then you have no one to ask for extra labels. Fortunately, the labels on our bottles peel off easily.

We also take at least a weeks worth of extra medication just in case of delays returning home.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Wow - good suggestions about extra meds for delays and duplicate set of pills in alternate location. Never thought of either of those. And never, in the last 20 years of international vacation and business travel, had anyone so much as glance as prescription pills.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I take 6 meds a day, including the previously mentioned Lisinopril. I pack a day's assortment in a small clear plastic bag, 1 bag /day + 2 "just-in-case" and clip together using a jumbo paper clip. A couple week's worth fit in toiletry bag. If on a longer trip, I bundle a week's packets and pack separately. I carry a copy of each prescription (in international terms) but not the prescription label. My doc has been willing to do this for years. I also carry a copy of my eyeglass prescription. These are packed with other document copies, i.e. passport and credit card info. Twenty years ago it was advised to carry all drugs, prescription and OTC, in original containers. I no longer read of that advisory and have never been asked. If any of your meds are liquid, they are not restricted to the 3oz. limit but must be identified as prescription and can be separated from your "311" stuff.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM

What if the liquid needs refrigeration? Are you allowed through security with a small cooler? What kind of ice packs are acceptable?
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Miami -

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1059.shtm
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Iowa - thanks !!