Search

Traveling alone to Florence.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling alone to Florence.

Hello,

This will be my first time traveling alone to Europe. I will be staying in Florence for 3 days and a bit nervous and excited. I don't speak the language but I'm fluent in Spanish. Do you think that will be a problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for those 3 days? Should I book a tour? If so, any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your time and advise
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Florence is wonderful, you have nothing to be nervous about.

It would be a good idea to learn some basic Italian before you go. You could probably just get a phrase book and study it. That would be sufficient.

Filling 3 days will be easy since there is so much to do. A guide book will probably have 3 days itinerary suggestions for you.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Hi, Relax and have a great time. I usually travel alone and have been to Florence many times alone. It is not necessary to speak Italian however a few of the common phrases would be nice. You do not need any tours. It is a very walkable city. If you want to see David and I strongly suggest that you do so you must make a reservation in advance. You call the Galleria del'Accademia in Florence for reservations. I do not have the # but I know that it is listed on the Fodor European search forum. Other places that i suggest is the Duomo and the Bapistry,the Uffizi. Since this is your first visit I would do as much walking as possible . Visually it is a gorgeous city and one of my favorite.The Piazza della Signoria,the Piazza della Republica .the many churches all to be seen.Hopefully you will fall in love with the city as I have done and make many trips back. Have a great time.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only been to Venice (twice) but had no problem being solo female and (unfortunately) speaking only English.

It's easy to pick up information when you arrive a place... from your hotel, train station, etc. Or copy a few pages from a guidebook from your local library to get you started.

Get a good street map, that's my most important 'tool' to get the lay of the land. I like to use a paper one and write on it as I go, jotting down points of interest.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips and encouragement!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
... and pack light