Paris group tour for an individual traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a tour group for an individual traveler going to Paris for one week in July? Specifically, a group where you would share both city excursions together, as well as evening meals together?
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Hi,
Parisvision may be the one, they seem to have a good selection. I have done their tours before and was satisfied (but never a dinner tour)

http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index.cfm

Hope this gives you a start.
Mike
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM

and more!

http://paris.city-discovery.com/pari...ght_tours.html

http://www.france-hotels.net/english/parisnight.asp
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, those sites were very helpful.

Do you know if people taking one of the dinner/sightseeing evening tours have their dinner together, or would I be eating at a table alone? I'd prefer a group meal where people sit together, because I would be traveling by myself.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:13 AM

I can't answer that question. I know when I went with a tour group to the Lido, we were all seated at large tables reserved for the tour, but I would only be guessing.

As an aside, I have been to Paris and elsewhere in France on my own, and have found eating alone to be less of a concern than I thought. It seems to be more 'accepted' (bad word, but all I can think of!) over there. Waiters tend to treat you as well or better than groups, and there is NO pressure to move on because they have a group waiting for the table. You can have the table for the night. I bring a book, journal,etc...

Hope this helps. I'll look around and see if I can find anything more.

Mike
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM

This is probably a silly question but I was wondering since you mention it's "accepted" to dine alone in Paris, do you still feel out of place reading your book all the time when everyone else (who has companions) is not?

And do you find that the waiters seat you at good tables being that you are alone?

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
ChatNoir

francophile03, I sometimes travel alone and, like others, take along a book or newspaper and write in my journal at the table.

The first couple of times I felt a little uncomfortable, but soon out grew that phase.

My seat selection has not been bad, and the few times it looked like it was going to be that way, I asked to be seated elsewhere and got no objections or funny looks.

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Hi,

I've never felt short-changed for seating whenever I have gone to a restaurant or café. Service has been as good as any other tables from what I can see, and, as is the norm of the culture, they let you sit there until you want to leave, no bill until you catch the waiter's eye. This applied to both when I ate as a group or individually. I have spent a few late mornings at cafés where I would order a couple of cafe cremes, a croque monsieur, and just spend time watching the world go by, with no sense of being rushed.

I find that personally I like to have something to keep me occupied between the time I arrive and the time my meal arrives. So I bring one item with me, using this time to look over my maps, or guidebooks, or events guides like Pariscope, or write down day's events in a journal. When I look around at the patrons at cafés and restauarants, I see other people eating on their own, reading the newspaper(cafés) so that would be why I say it is 'accepted': I see many others doing it...plus, when I arrive and say that it is just me, there is never any hesitation or 'look' from the waiter that I am any less welcome than a group of 2 or more. The one thing I do at a restaurant is arrive when dinner service starts, say right at 8PM, so that there are lots of empty tables to start with and I don't ever remember getting anything less than what I would consider to be a good table.

I ramble, but I hope this is re-assuring. The other thing is that restaurants post their menus outside the door, so you can up front see what they have, do any translating, and then decide whether to go in.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Michel, you don't ramble on at all; your comments are very helpful to me-thank you. I think it's a good idea to get to the restaurant early to get a good table.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Solo female here... as I so far prefer Paris solo, I have been beautifully treated by the maitre 'd or wait staff in any of the restaurants, bistros, etc... That said, I also reserve or go in early. No so much that I'm unnerved to be eating alone, but because I'm usually exhausted and, sadly, am an early riser. And remember, not all ladies in Paris or anywhere are "coupled" and they also want good meals... it does not make one any kind pariah
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

This e-mail trail is very helpful. As a solo female traveler, one of my main concerns is having a meal, specifically dinner, by myself [in Paris]. It has been very helpful to hear about other peoples' experiences, and how they deal with it. I have been to Paris before and having a drink by myself at a cafe was not intimidating, but I had not eaten dinner in a restaurant on my own. It sounds like it is not a problem, and is perceived differently than it is in the States.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Hi,

Apologies to nadiafrance, we seem to have hijacked your thread

My philosophy is that if I'm in Paris, I want to eat well and not feel that I somehow compromised on my 'mission' because I felt uncomfortable eating alone. Trust me, it isn't always easy.

Breakfast I go to a café and have a petit dejeuner of coffee, toast, and OJ. Lunches I pick something up from a street vendor/patisserie/boulangerie and save my big meal for dinner.

For dinner I gather information from Fodors, guidebooks, articles, Michelin Red Book and have a rough plan on the places I would like to eat at. I never bring a suit nor do I want to get a second mortgage to pay for the dinner bill, so I avoid (for now) the big names and go for the more reasonably priced. Its worked out well and I have had many a sublime meal.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Nadia said it right that eating alone in the US is different-more intimidating as compared to what we're learning about eating alone in Paris. I agree with you Michel that there are very nice inexpensive places that serve nice meals there. I just needed to get an idea of what others thought about dining alone.

Sorry for the thread hijack but the ongoing comments are very helpful.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Check out www.ricksteves.com. Maybe you have seen his show on public television. His company runs many tours in Europe, along the style of his TV show and books, including week long tours of cities. I have never been on one of his tours but I love the show and books and his style of travel. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Sorry, but I eat alone (sometimes...when I have to work late) here in the State's as well.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Singletail

I personally think that the so-called "intimidation factor" for some may stem, in part, from how folks feel about themselves in the first place and the whole idea of eating by themselves.

Somehow I have periodically gotten the impression from sone who post here that almost automatically the solo diner is not going to get as good a table as others; that they'll be hurried along; that they'll be treated somehow with less respect than non-solo diners.

I have personally never had that problem, particularly in Europe where the norm seems to be to linger over a meal...even over a single glass of wine.

I think it helps if you walk into an establishment with the mental attitude that you belong there just as much as anyone else and that the staff are happy to see you...whether you show up early or late.

Old May 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Singletail, I guess your comments are to boost someone's confidence like mine when it comes to dining alone. But I don't believe you know me at all. It's not as though I wish to feel intimidated but it cannot be helped many times.
You mentioned "I personally think that the so-called "intimidation factor" for some may stem, in part, from how folks feel about themselves in the first place and the whole idea of eating by themselves."
It is true that I feel intimidated dining solo as I've always dined with at least another person. I've struggled with extreme shyness since I can remember. It's only as I grew up that I had to try and help myself with this situation. However, even now it is unnerving for me to do things on my own and be the focus of attention or that's how I see it. Yet I intend to go solo to Paris this year. It is a major step for me. I think you have to be in my situation to really understand fully.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:22 AM

francophile,
Just wanted to say that I hope you have a great trip to Paris. I've struggled many times over the years on travelling alone. It always seems easier to not go, or tag along with a group that is going somewhere I may not be interested in, but would allow me to be with a group. My first trip was Contiki, which was a major decision on my part..to go on a 3 week trip with a group of people I did not know??!!...and I had a great time. Couple of years later, I decided to solo rent a car and see the Loire. I still consider it my most enjoyable trip ever...I got lost, I wandered the back roads, I stopped to see what I wanted when I wanted, I stayed in neat little towns, had (of course) many a good meal. Am I totally comfortable travelling alone? No. I feel better doing it in countries that I can communicate in (I'm bilingual ...french). So I hope your trip to Paris turns out to be something you will remember always as one of the best decisions you ever made. I love Paris and hope you will feel the same way.

As they say in french...Bon Courage!
Mike
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Thanks for understanding, Mike. I've always traveled with either my husband or with both my husband and son. This time no one could go with me due to unfortunate circumstances. They didn't agree with my going alone but understand that I wanted to see the city in winter for a change.
It is, I think, difficult for an assertive, solo traveler to really understand why others feel anxiousness at traveling alone. It's caused by various reasons.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

To laurie ann,

Thanks for the Rick Steves website tip. He definitely offers the type of one-city, week-long vaka I'm looking for as a solo traveler. He has at least two for Paris in July which I'm going to check out further. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -