Search

packing cubes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packing cubes

I am curious to know if packing cubes save space in luggage or just better organize. If you use them and have a brand you like, please let me know.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Eagle creek make cubes that compress. They are my fav for goosedown jackets. I can fit a below the knee with hood XL goosedown coat in the small one. In summer I use to undies, socks and sleepwear as they do wrinkle. I just buy the regular cubes at Marshalls. I do like them. I take one big cube and use for my clothing that I don't want to wrinkle. I then stuff around it. I have a 20 inch suitcase so have to be smart about packing even for winter.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They can save space my compression, but that just means your bag is heavier! I think a few can be handy to keep little stuff together (like socks, underwear) but nothing a few large ziplock bags can't also accomplish imo.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:52 AM

My sister gave me two eBag packing cubes for my birthday a few years ago - and wow, they were a game changer. I first used them on a trip to India, in which we switched hotels often. It was so easy to keep everything organized. Since then I've purchased two more for my husband to use, as well as another smaller one for myself. Even if you're not moving around a lot, it's like having portable drawers to keep your clothing in - and they're especially great if you don't have an actual dresser - just set them on a shelf. I put tops in one, pants in another, and underwear in the small one.

I don't use the ones that compress, because they can make my bag too heavy, but I know other travelers who like them. The eBags have a mesh-like side that allows air to circulate when you have them out of your suitcase, and also allows them to be pushed down to make space if needed when packing.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:26 PM

I think it depends also what type of trips you are taking. If I'm going and staying in one place for two weeks (Hawaii, Mexico) I pack with a different strategy then going to Europe if I were moving around by train every few days.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 01:22 PM

The compression bag makes your bag heavier? I have a coat in there that I need for cold weather. I leave from Fl and don't want to wear so compress it. Very light jacket and by compressing it isn't all bulky in my bag. I still take three pants and four tops, sleep shorts and undies. A 20 inch bag can't hold a lot. I don't even take extra shoes anymore. That is the weight I don't need. I am going waterless shampoo/cream rinse and I bring these sheets now for laundry. I have contact liquid and meds in tote bag.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:17 PM
kja

Here's a recent thread on this very topic:
Roll or fold or packing cubes/bags?
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 10:48 AM

The compression bag makes your bag heavier?

Well yes, depending on how you use them. But only because you can fit more into the same space. Same applies for the overuse of ziplock bags.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 11:32 AM

My mom bought us the Eagle Creek packing cubes years ago. I did not like them at all, but DH uses the small one for toiletries. I don't use anything except a soft mesh bag to separate dirty clothes.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 08:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Many people swear by packing cubes but I don't use them. Maybe it is because of the way I pack and that I use such a small suitcase -- but nothing really needs to be 'organized' and I am of the opinion that the material in the packing cube itself takes up as much space as a sweater or a couple of blouses so reduces the number of garments I can fit in the bag.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 01:11 PM

save space!

They definitely save space and make finding certain articles of clothing and items easier. I also suggest bringing an extra cube to use for dirty laundry.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 12:19 AM

Actually the cubes themselves weigh something. The bigger ones I bet are a few hundred grams. If you're flying carry on only that weight is valuable.

I tend to bring a dry bag to stick dirty clothes in. A dry bag is designed to keep your stuff dry even if it falls into the river. That keeps the dirty clothes from sharing any dirt or fragrance with the clean.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I decided to try them and got a set for me and one for my husband from Amazon. I'll let you know how they work.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 02:36 PM

I take one cube and one compression bag. Mine are super light and I am not a heavy packer so keeps me a bit organized.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Question - if one is a 'light packer' how much could one possibly have to 'organize'? And if one I a 'heavy packer', cramming in more organized stuff just makes things heavier. If they help you fine, but a crap packer will be a crap packer w or w/o cubes.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:40 PM

I like to have undies, bras, socks in a separate place packed together, not loose. So when Customs tosses the contents, usually those aren't flying around. I am neither a light nor heavy packer but I do like my suitcase organized. I also use dry cleaner bags to wrap bundles, then use those as dresser drawer liners if I'm staying in the same place awhile. I have a few cosmetic bags that organizes cord, electronics, first aid, etc.

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Question - if one is a 'light packer' how much could one possibly have to 'organize'? And if one I a 'heavy packer', cramming in more organized stuff just makes things heavier. If they help you fine, but a crap packer will be a crap packer w or w/o cubes.

I think I'm actually a pretty good packer - I do use the cubes so that I can move an entire category of clothing in and out of my bag easily to find what I need. Tops in one, pants in another, folded or rolled..It's really like having portable drawers - I can fit two medium cubes in my carry-on with plenty room to spare for extra shoes/socks, underwear,and travel sized cosmetics/shampoo, etc. and they weigh barely anything, nor do they take up the space of an article of clothing, as far as I can tell. I have the ones with mesh on one side, so they're easy to close and zip. When I'm in a small hotel room, I can set them on a shelf or in a drawer or even leave them in my bag and stay organized. I dislike very much having to paw through my suitcase to find things - and find that once I've had to do that, everything seems to be jumbled up, and I end up repacking over and over.

I've been traveling light for over 40 years - and the cubes have been a game-changer for me. To each his/her own!
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 03:22 PM

I love packing cases and first started out with the too heavy and odd-shaped, Eagle Creek ones many decades ago and which weren’t working for my packing situation although I know that their products have gotten lighter over the years. I still have a few Eagle Creek ones, but mostly for my shoes. My other Eagle Creek ones I gave away many years ago when I came across what Asian companies were producing as I’ve been going to Asia for over 2 decades.

Since I regularly vacation in S.E. Asia, I have found Asian companies that make some really good packing cases. My favorite company is British India Clothing store (Malaysian), but their packing cases can only be bought in various British India stores in S.E. Asia. I have had both their original ones from nearly 2 decades ago and which came in various sizes and also their new updated ones of which only come in 3 sizes. I just added some to my collection in Jan and Feb 2020 while in both Penang and Singapore.

The other brand that I really like is Monopoly Travel as for many years I have bought their products in Bangkok. But, one can buy some of their products on Mochi and Things as the Korean couple who started up Mochi and Things have a business in Seattle to provide online travel items. I have quite a few products from their website as they carry many of the same brands/items that I buy when in Asia and that I couldn’t find here in the U.S. until they started their online business.

https://shop.mochithings.com/search?...tus%3Adiscount

https://shop.mochithings.com

And there’s the Australian company Sea to Summit where I’ve picked up some nice packing pieces as I just picked up a few in Singapore last month.

https://seatosummitusa.com/pages/our-story

I don’t only shop with one company. I shop with whatever company can provide me with the type of packing case(s) that I need to pack certain items and items can change depending on my destination. I pack everything from shirts/skirts/kebayas and sarongs/ kimonos/ dresses/ jackets/ underwear/ T-shirts etc and I need to have items packed properly, and have them end up not ending up totally wrinkled. I also need my various packing bags to easily fit into the dresser drawers of my various accommodations as when I unpack, most of the time I just dump the packing cubes either into dresser drawers or store them on closet shelves and not have to unpack most of them. Then, repacking is made easy and when I get home, I replenish whatever is necessary so I'm ready for my next trip.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Mar 1st, 2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by scdreamer
I think I'm actually a pretty good packer - I do use the cubes so that I can move an entire category of clothing in and out of my bag easily to find what I need. Tops in one, pants in another, folded or rolled..It's really like having portable drawers - I can fit two medium cubes in my carry-on with plenty room to spare for extra shoes/socks, underwear,and travel sized cosmetics/shampoo, etc. and they weigh barely anything, nor do they take up the space of an article of clothing, as far as I can tell. I have the ones with mesh on one side, so they're easy to close and zip. When I'm in a small hotel room, I can set them on a shelf or in a drawer or even leave them in my bag and stay organized. I dislike very much having to paw through my suitcase to find things - and find that once I've had to do that, everything seems to be jumbled up, and I end up repacking over and over.

I've been traveling light for over 40 years - and the cubes have been a game-changer for me. To each his/her own!
Exactly, I actually use one for pants, tops, a scarf and my one sweater. The compression bag is for the coat in winter or socks, hat, undies, gloves, sleepwear. Sometimes the dirty clothing. If using for coat I just poke the other stuff in corners. Chargers, plugs.Zip lock for meds. Last trip in Dec/Jan I bought three gluhwein mugs home and several things from the markets plus found a huge Jack Wolfskin sale. I was bulging. I just bought a new suitcase this week and love it. 20 inch like my other but hard sided and went back to a spinner. I am giving my other to my my husband who has been using a 18 inch and backpack. He must lighten up the backpack due to his back. He carries so many cords and electronic stuff. I am using wash sheets for laundry and solid soap and cream rinse. I have my system and like it. I keep my clothes in the cube like you in a hotel. Apartments I will hang up.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

yea for packing cubes

"it's like having portable drawers to keep your clothing in "
Yes. I did buy a set for me and one for my husband and we both used them.
BAGAIL 6 Set Packing Cubes Luggage Packing Organizers for Travel Accessories BAGAIL 6 Set Packing Cubes Luggage Packing Organizers for Travel Accessories
. I just put the cubes on shelves in our cabin on the ship and it was a breeze to put out exactly what I wanted. I repacked them when we disembarked, keeping a larger one for the things I would need for a few days in Miami before we flew home. I'll never pack without them again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -