Search

NYC for 1st time solo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC for 1st time solo

Hello all!
I am not an experienced solo traveler. I've taken a few business trips, and a couple weekend trips alone. I have never been to Manhattan, and would like to venture there this Spring or early Summer for the first time, and will most likely be traveling alone. I appreciate any and all tips on solo travel in this great city, as well as what is not to be missed on my first short trip to "the big city". Sights, hotels, places to shop, eat, best time to go, where to get show tickets, etc etc, etc...any and all comments welcome. (I am a 40 year old married female btw, and will be somewhat budget-conscious. )Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM

What a great destination for a solo traveller. Lots to see and do, safe, and I found 'New Yorkers' extremely helpful. Suggest you get a good guide book befoe you go and read up on the various sights and decide before you go what you want to do and see and how much time you want to spend at each location. You can get cheap tickets for the various shows (if you not seen it, recommend 'The Lion King', believe me, not just for children) from a stand near broadway but there is always a queue so you need to decide if you want to spend half a day queuing for tickets or book on line before you go. I did find hotel prices expensive for solo travellers as they don't seem to have single rooms and you end up paying full price for a huge double room for single occupancy - perhapes someone reading this post will be able to help us both on this subject??
You will love NYC and I hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:45 AM

New York is probably the easiest place of all to visit solo. You will see many tourists and locals all over the city alone. For theater tickets try BroadwayBox.com
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:00 PM

I just returned from 10 days and although I stayed with a pal, I was alone each day as she had to work. I found New Yorkers to be the kindest and most helpful people I have ever met thru travel. I would ask anyone on the street for directions or which bus/subway to take and they would always know and help me. (They are also the same way in London.) I had a great time. But do some studying up and make up your mind what you want to see and do an itinery....that will keep you focused. Also take comfy shoes ...you will walk your feet off!!! But its worth it!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM

I would stay in mid town and book a hotel through Priceline. As a single, I get wonderful rates this way in this expensive city.

The TKTS booth at Times Square has great prices on same day theater tickets and single seats are easy to get.

There are tons of delis and salad bar type restaurants are great for a quick meal and I would stick with neighborhood restaurants in the evening. Murray Hill has great local places as do many other residential areas of the city.

I am in NYC often so if you have specific questions I can try to help.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM

Kfusto, As a solo who loves New York what would you consider an appropriate rate in NYC mid town?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Thru PL, I normally pay 100-130 nt and often end up at the Hyatt Grand Central, which is very convenient. In high season I paid 150/nt (December shopping season, 2004).

IMHO, these are bargain rates and I rarely see rooms at any 2-3 stars offered at this price.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
JohnWM

Hello, PlumeriaTattoo. 1) We have many new, budget priced hotels nowadays in NYC. There are Comfort Inn, Red Rooster, Day Inn, Hampton House, Holiday Inn, etc. Check the chain websites first, then check out travel agent brochures, then check out Priceline as mentioned earlier. 2) Also as earlier mentioned, do bring comfortable walking shoes and decide what you truly want to see: Broadway shows, museums, historical sights, etc. 3) May and June weather is OK: usually mild, maybe warm, some years hot. Late June and July have ferocious humidity (think tanktops). Welcome to the Big Apple! Enjoy your stay.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM

Have been to NYC myself on two occassions solo for a week each time. Not sure about june, but July and August are generally when you can pick up some really good rates on accommodation, although it is the hootest time of the year(something I don't mind, as the days are also at thier longest). As mentioned the TKTS stand in times square sell reduced rate tickets for shows. generally tickets are for shows that afternoon or evening. Work and out a basic itinary and pick up a good pocket map. The subway is the easiest and quickest way to get around, try and stick to the one line if possible, it can be a little hard to understand initially.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM

ammendment; that should be hottest not hootest time of the year
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I am a seasoned solo traveler ... but I have been a little scared to tackle the Big Apple by myself. (Don't know why) I am glad to read this post!!

I rarely stay at hotels, does anyone know of some B&Bs?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM

This is a site I have bookmarked but have never used and therefore cannot vouch for the service or quality.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM

My apologies, the address is http://www.bbonline.com/ny/brooklyn.html
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I've used hotels.com three times and come up with winners all three times. Two were chic little boutique hotels where the staffs couldn't have been nicer and the third was a suites hotel where we had the HUGEST room. of course, I can't remember the names, except for Carnegie Suites, which only books through hotels.com
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Last year I went to NY for the first time in my life. For years I have been dying to get there. Doing NY solo is a breeze and its great. I stayed at the Sheraton Points Hotel which in located on 25th between 5th and 6th ave. I made the arrangements through our company travel agent and I think he got me a great hotel for 139.00 per night. It's possible to stay in a great hotel for less than 200.00 but I would (if you can set my hotel budget at at least 150.00.

I was so excited once I got there I left with many things undone so I'm planning another trip in Sept of this year.

Listen do not be afraid the key to NY is not to act like a tourist its easier to blend in. Its impossible to get lost in Manhattan so don't worrie. I love that city and wish I could afford to live there. Good luck and just have fun. So I don't tie up the board if you would like to e-mail me we can talk (or type) for hours.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:56 AM

hi there
i will be visiting nyc in december for the 1st time, from adelaide, aussie and will be alone also...was concerned about alot of things including safety of self but with the notes on this forum am feeling more and more comfortable did note that one poster mentioned shopping around that time...are there lots of sales on around christmas? has anyone thought of meeting up with folks from the forum who are in the city at the time as them to swap ideas
have a great day
judi
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Many stores have big sales starting the day after Christmas. Department stores also often offer discount coupons in newspapers around that time.

While NY can be crazy around the holidays, it's nice to see the window displays, trees, and decorations. And, of course, there are special shows, such as "The Nutcracker" or the Radio City extravaganza.

Hope you all have a great visit!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:37 PM

Last September I spent 3 days & nights in New York alone before going on a tour of Turkey. My husband was supposed to go with me, but due to a knee injury, he was unable to. I was a little afraid before I left home just thinking about doing NYC on my own. (I grew up in a town of 176!) I did not have any trouble at all! I did not walk around with my camera dangling around my neck. I really tried to blend in and I think I did. A very good looking young man asked ME for directions to Rockefeller Center & I pointed the way! I used Super Shuttle from & to JFK & it worked great! I walked everywhere I went & really enjoyed my time there.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Hi PT,
Good comments. If you look on the features section of the fodors.com home page, and click on my interview about solo travel, you'll see that I choose NYC as the top city for soloists. It has it all--including the most solo people in the country. But any big city is good. Have fun!
Lea
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:21 AM

I was in NYC alone for 10 days a couple of years ago, and I loved it! What a great city! I recommend "Lonely Planet" for a travel guide for a budget traveler; they also have an excellent website. Bring comfy shoes, of course. It's a very easy city to navigate using the subway and buses, and I never felt unsafe. Of course, I didn't go into weird neighborhoods at midnight, either! Fabulous city, so much to do. Wish I could afford to live there....