Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Luggage Size for 3 Months abroad, one location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a lot of searching on this site (and others) about the appropriate size luggage to take when one is traveling abroad, but only to one location, and I haven't really found answers.
I'm generally a light-ish packer (My standard suitcase is an expandable 22" rolling suitcase. When I'm going home for a long break I tend to stuff that to the brim --especially when you count in shoes-- but I can get by with a pretty small bag).
However, it's one thing to pack light when you're going to be traveling and carrying luggage up and down train stations and airports, etc. and another thing to wear the same thing every day when you're living somewhere. I don't think I could happily live out of the 22" for a long time.

I'm going to be spending this summer in a Druze village in Northern Israel (all three months! Oh, I'm so excited!) and though I'll be bringing a backpack for the occasional hike and short trips, I was wondering what size you all would recommend to live out of for three months.
I'm going to have to check my luggage anyways (LOT airlines only allows you 13 lbs. for a carry-on, and though I may be able to make the size requirements, I won't make weight) and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I'm thinking that getting a rolling duffle makes the most sense for easy transport in the airport and maximum space on the way back to the States. But having realized that 22" is too small for me, I don't know how much is too big.

Any help and suggestions you guys may have would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM

I would ship a box or two to my destination and take your regular bag. Any piece of luggage will disappoint given your parameters, and you already have a bag you like. Spend the money on shipping and make your life easier.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Pretty much any bag that's larger than a 24-inch rolling suitcase is going to exceed the 50-pound limit posed by most airlines. So you have two options. Take two 22-inch rolling bags or one rolling duffle ... just watch the interior volume to see that it's about the equivalent of a 24-inch rolling suitcase.

Shipping to Israel, by the way, is going to cost a small fortune and doesn't really make any sense. You don't need everything you own, just a little more than you'd take on a typical 2-week trip.

I'd recommend 2 full weeks worth of clothing rather than one. You'll also need some toiletries and such if you're going to be in an isolated place, as well as a few things you'd probably not take on a city trip like a flashlight. Just make sure you don't exceed your airline's weight requirements for luggage. 50 or 55 pounds is usually the heaviest bag allowed.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My 24" rolling duffle packed is always right around 30 lbs. So I think you could get away with a 25-26" if it's a lightweight duffle bag style. It's really a LOT bigger than a 22-inch roller, even though it doesn't sound like it. Maybe take that + your regular 22"? That way you'd have a smaller bag along if you do some traveling during your 3 months, and 2 bags checked going over. I think that's much more reasonable than shipping things.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts!

Doug_Stalling:
I agree that shipping doesn't make any sense, especially since I get two free checked bags, and I definitely don't need my whole wardrobe, just more than I'd pack for 2 weeks. Thinking two (or 2+) solid (with unrepeated pieces of clothing) weeks makes sense to me, and would probably actually encompass most of the clothes that I wear anyways.

At least for this flight, for each bag the dimensions that I can use are:
* Maximum Dimensions: 62 linear inches/158 cm (length + width + height) for business and economy class
* Maximum Weight: 44 lb/20 kg for economy class

That seems fairly standard, at this point....

Suze-
You say that a 24" is actually a lot bigger than a 22" roller. Just for visualization, can you tell me the other two dimensions on your 24"?
(I'm using 22" x 14" x 9" right now....)

25"-26" sounds like a good plan, and two small suitcases will definitely be easier than one large one. I'll have to go check out luggage in person, I guess, to try to imagine if I could even make it all fit in on 26", which might be possible. Having a second suitcase I like can't really be a bad thing, right?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM

My 24" duffle is 24" by 12" x 12". It's that it is soft-sided so has a lot more expanability than my 22" roller (which I'm too lazy to pull out of the closet to measure!).

The trick to having 2 bags, is the 2nd one needs to be able to set on top of the main bag with wheels, and easily pull along together.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM

Think about what you're taking aside from the luggage. If you're traveling in the summer you will likely wear out all of your shirts and underwear from laundering. You'll probably be buying attractive local shirts anyhow, so take a couple things. Plan on buying some sandals, huraches, or such, a local skirt, and save your luggage space for personal products, good walking shoes, raincoat, all around nicer jacket, bug/tanning spray, etc. I have found a small umbrella to work well in keeping the sun at bay as much as the rain (take a hint from the Chinese women!). Have fun!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Debbls-

Thinking about the non-clothing items that I'll be bringing there (and back!) is a really good point. I don't know how much I'll be buying there since I won't have all that much money to spend after necessities(and I won't really be touring, I'll mostly be studying), but the thought is a really good one, and one I likely would have forgotten about.

It seems like, although I'm not leaving for six weeks, the time has come to do a preliminary list and pile of what I'll be taking, so that I can find an appropriately sized suitcase and make sure I'm not missing anything vital. (Like an adapter. I wonder where mine went.....)
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I'm back, and I've spent a LOT of time reading packing threads everywhere that I could find them and researching bags.
I was hoping to run this bag past you... right now, it seems to be the best choice:

http://www.ebags.com/product/olympia...urceID=BIZRATE

Size: 11" x 11" x 26" (48")
Weight: 7 lbs
Material: 1200 D Polyester

Am I somewhat on the right track?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

In case anyone is checking back at this post, I got back from my trip five days ago, and I found the bag to be nearly the perfect size for the amount of clothes I took with me.

As mentioned above, I wasn't doing lots of little trips, but instead staying put for the three months.... and that's good, because I found the ~20 kilos that I could fit into the bag not so pleasant to lift. I only had to maneuvuer it in and out of the airport, and through 3 train staitons (Two getting to where I was staying from my cousin's house and one getting from there to the airport). Any more would have been very unpleasant, but as it was , I managed cheerfully.

It was worth it to have a variety of clothes and feel like I belonged, and I ended up having a fabulous experience.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Hannah~ Hey thanks for checking back with us! Glad to hear you had a great experience. And that the bag you chose worked out great. Again, thanks, it's fun when people come back to let us know how things turn out! suze
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Sure thing!
I found the people here so helpful and I'm glad I finally have something to share. (I will write up a semi-trip report after I've settled into college life again)
You in particular, suze, have been really welcoming and helpful, so extra thanks to you.