Search

Late 20s Solo Traveler - Looking for Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late 20s Solo Traveler - Looking for Tour

Hello all,
I am interested in going on a tour of the Galapagos/Amazon or African Safari. I've been doing lots of research, but my one hesitation is finding a group that falls somewhere within my demographic. I'm 28 and enjoy people of all ages, but want to find a tour that is composed of at least some people my own age. The only people I've spoken to, including my parents, have done trips with OAT and others that cater to an older crowd. I was hoping people here who have been on similar tours could give me some advice.
Thanks so much,
molly.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Try GAP Adventures: gapadventures.com

I'm 30 and went there on their 10 day tour to the Galapagos in November/December. It was a great mix of ages - plenty of people my age, along with some older and younger people, too. The trip was amazing!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Also, there's no single supplement with GAP - they hook you up with a same-sex roommate.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM

Hi Molly,
I am a 35 year old single traveler who went on a 2 week Safari in Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar. I went with dragoman. www.dragoman.com
It is an overland safari which means you will have to chip in for some of the chores, and lots of camping (real camping especially in the game parks where the animals may come stolling through your camp). The group on our tour included five 20-somethings from Iceland, 2 single travelers from England (28, and 33), myself (the US), a late-twenty something from the Netherlands, and a 40 year-old man from the States. We all had varied backgrounds from doctors to gradute students, to business people, to someone in the construction business. Plus, most of us were adventurous spirits and single travelers. I would say it was a young 20-40 demographic, but not filled with the student tour group types which were looking for the next party and lots of beer. Also, the trip leaders organized the daily chores so that even those that came with a group would be paired with others as to encourage mingling in the group. In terms of the safari, I felt we got to see more of the "real Africa" than some of the more organized upscale tours may see. Dragoman supports community projects and some of the money from your tour will support a local group, tribes, or organizations. By doing so, we were able to meet and interact with a Masai tribe for an afternoon without just being exploitive tourists on a photo stop. Plus, the tour was very affordable, especially for Africa. I would travel with them again, many of my friends I made from the trip (yep, many of us still keep in contact) have signed up on another trip, and a few my initial trip had traveled with them before. Good luck, Sandy