How often can I visit the UK?

Mar 2nd, 2016, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

How often can I visit the UK?

I am a UK citizen in relationship with an American citizen and resident. We met online and he has flown out to see me twice since November 2015. The first time he visited from 30 November 2015 to 12 December 2015. The second time he visited from 10 February 2016 to 18 February 2016.

I understand that US citizens can visit up to 6 months per year legally, but may be denied entry by UKBA because of suspicion that they do not intend to leave. I also understand that young, single travelers visiting their significant others face extra scrutiny in this area.

He is planning to visit for another couple of weeks in April. He is a full time student at a four year university in the US and is just over a year away from finishing his degree. He has enough savings to cover the entire trip from his paid internship the previous summer and from his part time job as a programming tutor. He also has a return ticket. Is he likely to be denied entry at the border? Thank you for your time.

He will provide at the border
- Proof of funds
- Proof of outbound ticket
- Proof of staying at my house (Plus proof of my funds, regular income and rent payments, rent contract etc)
- Proof of school enrollment and job contract
- List of plans / itinerary for the visit.

Also for the future ~ Is it possible for him to visit for 3 months or so during the US summer holiday? Do you think these documents will be sufficient proof? Should we apply for a tourist/visitor visa or will the standard turn up and get a stamp to stay (as I know that can be done for stays up to 6 months). Will we get a hard time for that?

Any tips or advice from others who have previously done this - or similar would be appreciated!
Mar 2nd, 2016, 07:48 PM

You should re-post this on the Europe forum.

But >>I understand that US citizens can visit up to 6 months per year legally,<< is erroneous.

It is up to 180 days per visit - not per year. But no one is 'guaranteed' 180 days. It is totally up to the immigrations officers at the point of entry. I travel to the UK a few times every year and just last May when I landed at LHR (planning to stay in London only one night before heading on to Belgium) it was stamped in my passport that I had permission to stay 48 hours only.

No one on a travel website can say what he can/can/t do. He may have all his ducks in a row and still be denied entry -- or he may sail through w/o a second look.

>>He will provide at the border . . . << He should have all those things but not 'provide' them unless asked.
Mar 9th, 2016, 10:34 PM

something this important, why not check with the US government website instead of a travel forum. I sure wouldn't take information like this as "gospel" unless it came from the government web site.
Mar 10th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Why would one check a US government site for information on UK regulations???