Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Food for someone with IBS and problematic digestion for train travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have issues with wheat/baked goods and many other things really as I have Chron's and ulcerative colitis as well as suspected gallbladder issues so I wonder what are some good ideas for snacks/lunch on a 10-hour train journey? The Sofia to Bucharest trains have no dining compartment, so I need something nutritious to keep me going until I arrive at 17:17/5:17 PM in Bucharest.

Sounds strange but someone suggested dry olives without pits helps the unrully stomach when traveling, is that true? I also plan taking Surimi sticks because I need my protein.
They're not the best food, not health food by any measure, but compared to some crappy, oily baked goods from the stores they don't usually aggravate my digestion. They also seem to have the best nutrition profile of most packaged goods and unlike protein bars aren't heavy on the sugar or artifical sweeteners.

What food stuff do those of you with problematic digestion/Chron's/IBS/gallbladder an similar issues pack on such long journeys?
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whether or not you have a particular protein on one random day is not a necessary consideration. Just choose foods you know will not interact badly with your digestive system and take enough so you won't be hungry. Consider gluten free corn chips, cheese or hardboiled egg in its shell, or canned fish if you really want protein, popcorn, hummus, even candy bars. Oh, and remember, surimi often contains wheat flour as a binder.

Last edited by AJPeabody; Mar 17th, 2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, they have wheat flour as binder but I suppose they don't have butter or palm oil like those baked goods. Most Lidl, Kaufland, Billa etc baked goods are made with palm/vegetable oil or butter.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 09:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Food sensitivities are a constant at home & traveling. The best way to cope is not to buy prepared or ready-made foods but to buy individual foods or ingredients & put them together yourself. It seems pretty straightforward to me. What would you pack for an outing at home, other than pre-packaged items?

Old Mar 30th, 2024, 04:23 AM

I have a nervous stomach. I eat when calm and suggest bananas. maybe a sandwich with the bread you can tolerate and eat in small portions?
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Never mind, time and time again it turns out that my stomach issues magically disappear when I get away from Sofia, Bulgaria. Even if I'm still whitin Bulgaria!
I had no bad reactions to the same food I react badly to in Sofia when I was in Pleven, Gorna Oryahovitsa, Ruse, and Bucharest.
I had no tummy troubles in Bucharest. Now I'm back in Sofia and the food I took from there that was completely OK is now causing me trouble here. So there must be something in Sofia (the air/water?) that triggers me instead of food itself maybe.

It's interesting how we feel different in each location and out gut as well.
BTW I didn't enjoy Bucharest or Ruse as much as I expected. As always I felt better in places I didn't expect I will like like on my way there. I felt the locals in both Ruse and Bucharest unwelcoming and I'd say the places themselves give me off stressful vibes but my stomach was OK in both!

The outstanding good energy cities/towns on my way were Pleven, Levski, Pavlikeni, surprisingly the drab Gorna Oryahovitsa (which is next to touristy Veliko Tarnovo), in Romania Giurgiu and various towns on the way to Videle. I've stayed in Arbanasi which is between Gorna Oryahovitsa and Tarnovo and it was amazing so I think that whole old Bulgarian capital area has magical vibes for some reason, even the commie-architecture-only G. Oryahovitsa (it's just an industrial/railway junction city, Arbanasi and V. Tarnovo are the beautiful ones in the area). For tourists I recommend the bolded. Unfortunately any historic buildings in Giurgiu and Gorna Oryahovitsa were destroyed and replaced with commie architecture. The rest are small towns with mostly houses so not much to see but they felt really inviting in terms of vibes/people I met while passing through.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have yogurt or other fermented foods? Local variations in the active cultures in these foods may account for the differences you noticed. Air or water as a cause is much less likely.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 06:37 AM

Hey @tanek! Sorry to hear that IBS is cramping your style ... You may well have tried this, but have you looked into probiotics? Kefir is a good natural alternative, or probiotic supplements ...