Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to learn BASIC FRENCH & ITALIAN?! DVD/CD or IPAD? Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Travelers!

I'm about to leave on a 3 week trip to France & Italy on my HONEYMOON at the end of August (less than a month away)! We have been so busy after the wedding that we've had no time to LEARN French & Italian till now! I'm not expecting to completely learn the language in such short time but at least learn some of the basics in the few weeks we have left.

I am not much of a reader.. (yes I admit it). I am far better off following a "children style" type of learning that includes pictures, video or audio cd's. Can anyone suggest an easy program out there to learn BASIC FRENCH & BASIC ITALIAN?!

It can be a DVD VIDEO, AUDIO CD/BOOK, COMPUTER CD/IPAD or IPOD application.

Not looking to spend major bucks either.. something easy and simple for basic learning to get through a 3 week trip in Europe.

Any help would be great, thanks!!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With only a couple weeks, I would pick one language only. To try to learn French and Italian (even just basic phrases) would be extremely confusing.

Honestly in such a short time, I would concentrate on finding a decent phrase book for each language (one with a restaurant menu section so you can figure out what you're eating!).

I don't mean to sound discouraging but you don't have enough to to really "learn" anything more than a few pleasantries like good morning, please, thank you, excuse me, etc. Numbers are always good to know (for time, prices, etc.)

Loads of tourists traipse around Europe all the time with only English. So as far as that goes, don't worry you'll be fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your honest advice Suze. I completely understand that I don't have enough time to learn much but even if its only the basic basics for getting around then I'd still like to give finding some type of program or audio book a try. I don't work so I have tons of time everyday to study up and learn before we leave.

No matter what I agree that having a phrase book is key, I have one for French and Italian that I will be bringing as my "go to".

I'm still determined to fine some sort of way I can educate myself a bit more before we leave for our Honeymoon!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:01 AM

rosttastone.com best for immersion

pocket phrase book

pick just one to start

keep going pick up others when you return.

Just learn common phrases lots of english speakers

so no worries... Congrats!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM

PimsleurApproach.com/Learn_Language

A cheaper method works well also...

Used by FBI others to acquire rapid language skills
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:19 AM

I've had the best luck by taking classes. I think the person-to-person interaction is important for learning a language. I've been studying Spanish off and on for years (I take 8-week classes at a community college aimed at travelers).

Whatever method you use get one that is meant for tourists. You most definitely don't have time to be learning verbs, etc. you just need some basic vocabularly.

Another thing to realize is even if you can get your language skills to a level to ask "Where is the train station? When does the train to Rome leave?" when someone answers in rapid Italian you aren't going to understand what they said.

Honestly the single most helpful phrase you can learn to say in both French and Italian is this one: "I'm sorry I don't speak French/Italian. Do you speak English?" ... and smile.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Oops but to actually answer your question I would just go to the library and see what they had that you could borrow for free to use for the next couple weeks. Or maybe some programs you could find online for free as well?

Even just reading thru the phrase books you own and will be traveling with would be beneficial. Practice speaking *out loud* around the house.

Since you mentioned childrens-style learning, The "Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day" was helpful to me (there are stickers you put up around the house along with simple exercises in a workbook).
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Perfect advice!! Good idea about visiting the Library as well.

I like everyone's humor. Thank you for your suggestions!
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM

With the short amount of time you have, I would download the Radio Lingua podcasts, Coffee Break French or One Minute French. http://radiolingua.com/shows/french/. For Italian, One Minute Italian or My Daily Italian Phrase, same source. http://radiolingua.com/shows/italian/

You can subscribe to these through iTunes, load them on your iPad or iPod, and learn at least a bit before your trip. A recent traveling companion listened to Coffee Break Spanish on her flight over last spring and got quite a bit out of it in that short time.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Learn to say the basics - please, thank, good morning AND how to say for example, "Pardon, parlez vous English?" and also in Italian. Don't walk up to people in their country and start asking questions in English. In the larger cities, most people these days speak English, however, it is more courteous to ask them if they speak English - in their own language. Good manners count.

I agree with the others, however, you don't have enough time to learn more than simple basics. If you do want to study a little, use the method that allows you to hear the phrases. This will help. And yes, walk around your house saying the phrases so that it becomes second nature once you get there.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! You all have been extremely helpful! I am so excited to leave to Paris in 2 days!