Search

Driving Abroad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Abroad

If you are planning to take your vehicle abroad? Here are some of the tips that will be of great help to you.

If you are going to travel in your own vehicle then make sure the vehicle is serviced and you have the headlights adjustment stickers ready. Make sure that you have with you a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tool kit, and spare bulbs. Ensure that you inform your car insurer that you are going to take your vehicle abroad and try to extend your policy if it is necessary. Take the necessary documents and help line numbers along with the breakdown and travel insurance details. Always leave a copy in the home and take the orginal and the second copy with you. Keep the documents in a separate and safe place.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM

What are "headlights adjustment stickers"?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Headlights adjustment stickers are pair of stickers that are pasted on the headlamp units to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Interesting. I've never heard of them. What part of the world are you from that these are used? And this isn't meant to be snarky or sarcastic, but don't you have both high and low beam settings for your headlights?

I wouldn't think to pack a fire extinguisher, but my car emergency kit (always in the trunk) has jumper cables, a small air compressor that's powered from the 12V outlet, folding tire traction aids (if I get stuck in snow), candles, matches and a blanket.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM

I've also never heard of "adjustment stickers".

Other tips:

If you're going somewhere potentially cold and/or snowy, pack a couple blankets for "just in case".

Learn the driving rules for the place(s) you're going. Just because you're from elsewhere doesn't mean that you don't need to follow the rules. Signs may be in a different language or completely different from what you're used to. In the US, you drive in the right lane and pass in the left. That may be different in other countries.

Get a roadmap or atlas. GPS is great but often may have delays or just simply refuse to work. It's better to try to navigate through a city with a regional/state map than it is to navigate with absolutely nothing. We tried to use our GPS in Illinois and the dang thing wouldn't find a satelite for over an hour. This was in a good sized city that should have had plenty of coverage and no problems. Thankfully we had a state map and did fairly well with that.

A roll of duct tape should always be in your car, especially for a long road trip. I can't even begin to list the many times it's come in handy or been a complete lifesaver.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Some headlights are way too bright even when they are on dim. Headlight adjustment stickets sound like something to look in to.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM

"something to look in to" - no pun intended. Something to check out.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine the stickers are for when you take a left-hand drive car to a right hand drive country, or vice versa. The lights would be pointing at the oncoming traffic instead of the side of the road.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM

yep, that's the point of the stickers.